Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Thematic Guide Writing

Creator: OTGBionicArm August 31, 2013 8:14pm
Do you enjoy this style of guide?
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 10:00pm | Report
Well, hmm. Why not? "And beware the infidel's deadly hook, which can pass through walls" etc etc - you're better at it than I am. I mean, even explaining runes would be fun, "It is likely that this creature will be wearing armour, 9 seals worth, to be exact" or whatever. You could totally work with it. You'd just have to make sure it makes sense.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 10:03pm | Report
I guess, but I still feel like that gets confusing. I'm attempting to teach people how to play a champion, in a narrative that expresses extreme hatred for the character the guide is about. XD
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 10:05pm | Report
Please do that again.

I can't stand guide formats these days. Everybody's guide looks almost exactly the same. I hate how over 60% of the entire guide is just describing what abilities and items do. That's what I thought being able to do this ( Boots/ Arcane Shift) was for.

It's so difficult for me to read guides anymore because it's so rare to find anything unique.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 10:09pm | Report
Yes, I agree. Guides should tell you how, and when to use abilities, or unique tricks with them. Not give you a tooltip text in different words.

I'm glad to see people liked the writing in my Cho guide. :]
drakon136
<Member>
drakon136's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 10:10pm | Report
Yes. Yes. Yesyesyesyesyes.

The narrative in your Cho'Gath guide was great, and was one of the main reasons why I loved it so much.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 10:14pm | Report
Well, I don't see why you can't still explain things in-depth. For example, if I was writing a Warwick guide from Soraka's point of view, I could say something like:

"Despite his hedious transformation, he was given gifts beyond moral imagining. Like Death himself, the wolf can smell the scent of blood. Blood Scent will allow him to hunt you down. From how I understand, the smell is so enticing, the monster quickens his pace."

You're not repeating a tooltip. And even if you ARE, it's amazingly more entertaining if you do it right.

♡ sig by me ♡
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 10:15pm | Report
True, very true. BTW you should totally do your WW guide like that ;p
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 10:19pm | Report
haha, I totally would, but I wouldn't want to step on your toes :P And it sounds like a WHOLE lot of work.

♡ sig by arrizen ♡
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 10:22pm | Report
It is. Making updates is a ***** and half, not so much writing it up the first time.
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 10:47pm | Report
I might do my next guide like that, just because it's fun. My really old (now archived) guides did not follow suit and were swiftly and harshly downvoted. I don't care.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide