Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Thematic Guide Writing

Creator: OTGBionicArm August 31, 2013 8:14pm
1 2 3 4 5
Do you enjoy this style of guide?
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 8:14pm | Report
So, I'm working on re-inventing my Thresh guide. I'm tired of using GMD's format, and I miss my guides being unique.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers my Cho'Gath guide, but I wrote that entirely in character as Viktor using canon lore about the Battlecast series of skins, giving it a theme and narrative.

I want to do more of these, but I'm unsure if people actually like the concept and guide at the same time. I feel like my Cho'Gath guide mostly got upvotes simply for being entertaining, rather than having correct information.

It's also pretty hard to keep in character while going through specific game terms, I often had to improvise different phrases that meant the same thing. I can see how this would be confusing for readers.

However, this style is more fun for me to write, and I hope for you to read as well.

My goal with the re-do of my Thresh guide is to write it from Lucian's perspective, as if briefing summoners what Thresh can do and is capable of, along with some narrative of their lore together.

Would you enjoy reading the guide in that style, or do you feel like it muddies the actual informative content of the guide? :/
IAmByakuya
<Member>
IAmByakuya's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 8:20pm | Report
Sounds like a good idea
Gave you a good laugh or helped? rep+ so i can know ;)

Thanks to TinyStar, Jhoi, Xiaowi, Virus, Bard and Arcana(eww)...for my signatures!

Elohell is like Irelia's stun: if your real level is equal or lower than the level you are in, you're STUNNED there forever. If your actual level is higher than the level you are in, you're just SLOWED in your way up.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 8:25pm | Report
as long as the information is right and good you can probably keep it entertaining, it might actually keep people reading
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
IAmByakuya
<Member>
IAmByakuya's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 8:35pm | Report
DillButt64 wrote:

as long as the information is right and good you can probably keep it entertaining, it might actually keep people reading

Where is your jungle karma guide!
Gave you a good laugh or helped? rep+ so i can know ;)

Thanks to TinyStar, Jhoi, Xiaowi, Virus, Bard and Arcana(eww)...for my signatures!

Elohell is like Irelia's stun: if your real level is equal or lower than the level you are in, you're STUNNED there forever. If your actual level is higher than the level you are in, you're just SLOWED in your way up.
DillButt64
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 9:27pm | Report
i gave up because too much work ): and im too lazy, maybe after this ranked season ends ill actually write it as a lulz thing, i actually rarely play jungle karma and if i do its just in norms with like percy or some other 2385730496534965 elo person to carry the team incase i really **** it up

dont worry im probably going to make a karma only smurf sooner or later, or just only play krama on my main next season so ill make a guide soonish

but still on topic i read your cho guide when i wanted to use cho and it got me to at least try him, i hate using cho but your guide helped me learn how to use him and kept me entertained along the way so keeping character sorta makes the guides different
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 9:33pm | Report
But was any of it confusing? Also I feel like writing like that forces me to use more words than necessary to explain something.
DillButt64
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 9:37pm | Report
it didnt feel too confusing to me, but then again im not exactly brain dead like others

you still get your point across just in a different way
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 9:48pm | Report
Woaaah! I'd love that! I can just imagine the seething hate for Thresh, if written from Lucian's point of view. Do it!
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Tauricus2017 ♡
DillButt64
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 9:49pm | Report
imagine Lucian guides for other shadow isle champions, sort of as a "monster hunters guide to killing monsters" thing

i dunno if OTG plays other shadow isle champions enough for a full guide other than thresh tho
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 9:57pm | Report
I play Hecarim, but Xiao has an amazing guide for him already. :p

And @Jhoi, do you think it's odd to have a character talking about Thresh and his mechanics, when he loathes him? Like... the point of a guide is to teach you how to play a champ, but Lucian would be talking as if he's briefing someone of Thresh's capabilities. Why would he teach you how to win as Thresh?

With Viktor/Cho'Gath that was easier to portray because Viktor was excited and proud of his shining creation.
1 2 3 4 5

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide