Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Vynertje's Support AMA and advice thread

Creator: Vynertje December 30, 2014 5:15am
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 15, 2015 2:06pm | Report
Thoughts on support Vel'Koz? Which sort of lane/team would you pick him against / avoid picking him against?

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 15, 2015 2:20pm | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:
Thoughts on support Vel'Koz? Which sort of lane/team would you pick him against / avoid picking him against?

Ironically enough, team compositions that dive you. He's great if everyone jumps your team as you can just R the whole team. Vel'Koz is terrible if the enemy can kite you as it's so hard to get good spell rotations off.

Why is that ironic, you may ask. It's also his biggest weakness, which explains why he's in such a weak state. In short, you need to play against someone who dives the team but has no hard CC. For example, he's good versus thresh because his hard engage isn't up to par with e.g. Leona, so you can just poke him out and get massive ultimates in teamfights.
I want to be a Blitzball's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 16, 2015 5:45am | Report
What do you max on Thresh? I watched OGN and saw Madlife put some points into Flay early even though I think maxing Death Sentence is more common. Also, for anyone watching OGN, what's the point behind Syndra/ Sejuani support? They are obviously pocket picks and flat out weaker than say Thresh/ Nami/ Janna, but something made that they got picked. I would guess Syndra simply because of her huge stun after using her ult, but can't see anything else behind it.

Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 16, 2015 5:51am | Report
You can put up to 3 points in Flay early if you want some more lane dominance - as E brings more damage than Q - and max Death Sentence after level 6. I didn't watch all of it but that's probably what Madlife did.

Syndra: You just answered your own question. The R-E stun is huge and the pick potential with long range Q-E is pretty big as well. You also have quite some lane pressure.

Sejuani: Not sure, can only say that she brings a lot of engage and AoE to a fight which the tier-1 supports lack right now.
I want to be a Blitzball's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 16, 2015 6:12am | Report
I guess I might pick up Syndra and use her as a pocket pick. I think the Sejuani pick also lets you pick her while say also picking a stronger jungler ( Jarvan IV and Lee Sin). Now that placements are coming up, what do you think of Leona? Seeing as I went 7:0 last year in placements with her, what matchup/lane partner are good for her and when should you pick her? Also, do you consider Alistar a good pick? He's probably one of the tankier champions out there, and I have always liked him.

Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 16, 2015 6:22am | Report
She's mediocre/decent as Thresh and Janna are the two most picked supports out there and both can screw up her engage pretty massively. Must add though that not a lot of supports at lower Elo are capable of interrupting her E with Flay or Howling Gale so that she's probably stronger at anything below plat.

Alistar is mediocre at best, pretty much the support with the lowest impact in lane which is why I'd never pick him. Mid-late game he's a lot better but still doesn't outshine someone like Janna, unless you're playing premade with an Orianna lol.
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 16, 2015 6:34am | Report
Tbh I know from experience that the only redeeming quality zyra has left is that she does as much damage as her adc with only a liandrys but

Thoughts on zyra support?
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 16, 2015 7:29am | Report
XeresAce wrote:
Tbh I know from experience that the only redeeming quality zyra has left is that she does as much damage as her adc with only a liandrys but

Thoughts on zyra support?

If you have a good matchup you can do work with her but you gotta be really really aware of the enemy jungler. Some good matchups are Braum and Thresh, overall she works well against teams that dive really deep into your ultimate; with your ultimate you can easily split the enemy frontline from their backline.

However, junglers and most other matchups **** her up pretty badly because she's so squishy. Even against Thresh/Braum you have to be super careful for all-outs as they can just blow you up before you can do anything.
Hatted
<Member>
Hatted's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 16, 2015 8:36am | Report
Do you find Janna is still top-tier? I enjoy her a decent amount but I find Thresh/Leona/Alistar are much more fun to play. Janna is sorta just shield, tornado/slow when needed, and flash Ult when it looks like a good idea. Whatdya think?
Eyy
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 16, 2015 8:42am | Report
No doubt.

The Howling Gale nerf did have some impact on her but IMO she's still the strongest support out there.

What do you think about Blitzcrank?

I personally hate him, but he can be good if you're playing against a lot of squishies/without mobility. His lane is relatively weak but he is / can be one of the highest-impact supports in the late game if you play him well.

He's also a good pick if you have a pick comp or when you are fighting a poke/disengage/splitpush comp to force fights more easily.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide