Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

What are jungle buffs?

Creator: NDubs December 1, 2013 9:11am
1 2 3 4
NDubs
<Member>
NDubs's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2013 9:11am | Report
I know what the main idea buffs are, that they make you stronger or something, but I want to get into jungling it is pretty fun. I would like to know what the buffs do, Red, Blue and Lizards please help
drakon136
<Member>
drakon136's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2013 9:13am | Report
Red buff gives your auto-attacks a slowing effect and true damage over time; the slow is reduced for ranged champions. Blue buff gives you 10% CDR and bonus mana or energy regeneration; it does not affect Fury or Ferocity.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2013 2:01pm | Report
When jungling, these buffs can help improve your camp clear time, irregardless of whether the jungler is AP or AD. Additionally, the monsters carrying the buffs give relatively large amounts of experience (XP) and gold, which helps you level up faster in order to gank. That's why when a buff is stolen, it's devastating to the jungler, as they become significantly behind in experience (thus levels) and gold.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Janitsu ♡
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2013 2:08pm | Report
drakon136 wrote:

Red buff gives your auto-attacks a slowing effect and true damage over time; the slow is reduced for ranged champions. Blue buff gives you 10% CDR and bonus mana or energy regeneration; it does not affect Fury or Ferocity.

This.

What Jhoi said is only partially correct. Just stick with what I quoted above.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2013 2:50pm | Report
? What's incorrect about it? =.=

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2013 11:12pm | Report
Not really incorrect, but more like bad information. Buffs should be used to gank more effectively and not to clear faster - you're basically wasting your red if you're using it to farm with, you don't mention how some buffs should be handed over to your allies and you rather discourage people to do so. Besides that, having your buffs stolen only really hurts in the early laning phase in terms of xp/gold.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 1, 2013 11:17pm | Report
^that
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 2, 2013 12:06am | Report
Vynertje wrote:
Buffs should be used to gank more effectively and not to clear faster - you're basically wasting your red if you're using it to farm with

I said the buffs help clear, I didn't say farm with buffs all game.
Quoted:
you don't mention how some buffs should be handed over to your allies

I clearly was only talking about early game.
Quoted:
Besides that, having your buffs stolen only really hurts in the early laning phase in terms of xp/gold.

Yes. Like I said.

I guess next time I should say "EARLY GAME" in every sentence to dissuade people from saying I'm wrong.

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
LalaSama
<Member>
LalaSama's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 2, 2013 5:13am | Report
Big wall of text incoming it's a in depth explanation of the buffs!

Blue buff
- Big golem with 2 small golems next to him (His guards, they don't like you attacking their master >:(! )

If you kill the big golem he will give you blue buff.
The effects of blue buff are:
- 10% cooldown reduction
- Increased mana regen. Exact stats: 25 flat manag regen per 5 seconds plus an additional 0.5% of maximum mana per second.
- Additionally, if the champion is an Energy user the buff will give you 0.5% of your maximum energy per second.
- The buff does NOT give you rage, fury, or ferocity.

This buff is nice to start with for the following junglers: (there are more, this is an example)
Amumu, Nunu & Willump, Elise, Udyr
Mainly the champs that "spam" abilities and have a resource pool such as mana.

Sometimes, for example when playing Udyr, you want to counter the enemy red.
This means you start blue buff and after you've done it you go to the enemy red buff and camp it, awaiting their arrival to kill them.
Ofcourse don't do this when you're first time jungling or not familiar with the champ.

Generally most junglers start blue, though the champions that don't need resources such as mana and energy for their skills tend to start red.
In the end you can judge this by your own personal experience.

And now on to red buff.
- Big lizard looking thing with 2 small guys next to him standing around a campfire (yet again, they will hurt you cause you hurt their master >:(!! )

If you kill the big lizard he will give you red buff.
The effects of red buff are:
- Physical attacks aply a debuff that slows the target's movement speed by 8 / 16 / 24 %
This changes to 5 / 10 / 15% for ranged attackers.
The debuff lasts for 3 seconds.
- Physical attacks will also apply a DoT that deals 8 + (2 x level) bonus TRUE damage twice.
This means that is you're level 5 and you attack them with red buff it will deal 18 true damage twice.

This buff is nice to start with for: (again, just an example)
Lee Sin, Zac, Tryndamere.

Now generally speaking those three champions can also start blue, and many a times you WILL see them start blue.
A lot of people prefer taking blue over red because of the CDR.
Reasons to start red are generally:
- You fear that you might get counter jungled and your 1v1 abilities are weaker than the enemy jungler.
- You want to perform a level 2 gank on the lane that is close to red buff (depending on the team your on, ofcourse).
- If you are a manaless/energyless jungler you can prefer to start red but that's about personal preference.

As you grow into jungling you develop your own style.
Sometimes it might be nice to start a certain buff because it means you are at a certain spot when you are level three.
Example:
You are on blue team and at the start of the game your toplane has asked for an early gank.
You want to gank there at level three so it would be preferable for you to start red.
Starting red enables you to clear the bottom jungle and move on to the top jungle where you take blue buff.
After you took it, you should be level three, granting you the ability to gank top.

As I said though, this is all a matter of personal preference.

And what do you do when you have the buffs?
The buffs help you clear your jungle camp BUT should also be used to gank lanes.
Ganking with red buff will get that slow off on the enemy champion and might just secure the kill.
Although sometimes lanes don't really need gank or are impossible to gank (pushed up to enemy turret) you can use the buffs to more easily clear the jungle.

But what to do with buffs after you took the first red and blue buff?
This, again, all comes down to personal opinion but here is my 2 cents on it:

A blue buff should ALWAYS be OFFERED to mid lane.
Sometimes mid laners will refuse it if they feel you need it more.
When I play Katarina mid I will sometimes pass up on the offer and give the blue to my jungler so he can more effectively do his job.
Champions such as Anivia, Karthus, Ziggs and other champions with "spam" abilities or abilities that cost a lot of mana and have a persistent effect will 9 out of 10 times get a HUGE advantage if they are given blue buff.
Having your mid laner win the lane is a huge advantage for your team, so try to give them the buff whenever you can and always offer the second blue to them.

A red buff, in my opinion, can usually be taken by the jungle.
You can ask your top or bot lane if they would like the buff but it's not really necessary in my opinion.
This is mainly due to the fact that when you have a red buff as a jungler your ganks will be more effective.

That is pretty much all I can tell you about the buffs.
I hope this clears some stuff up for you, however this is all my personal experience and opinion so other people feel free to correct me if you feel I am wrong.

And if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Keep an eye out for my soon to be published guides ;)
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 2, 2013 7:28am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

I said the buffs help clear, I didn't say farm with buffs all game.

I clearly was only talking about early game.

Yes. Like I said.

I guess next time I should say "EARLY GAME" in every sentence to dissuade people from saying I'm wrong.

You only said, the buffs are useful to clear camps faster which suggests you should use them that way. You 'clearly' didn't say anything about early game and someone who doesn't even know what a buff is won't know you're talking about early game at all lol.

How about you think twice before giving people advice instead? Might stop those poor souls from dropping to bronze 5 when starting ranked.

@LalaSama:

I would remove all the additional info on what buff to start and why to, because it is (A) partially incorrect and (B) you might want to wait with such statements till some clear strategies have been developped for S4.

All junglers used to start at the bottom side (regardless what buff) so they could get extra help from their botlane. Right now, I think it all depends on what lane you want to gank first.
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide