Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Why is Support role not wanted so much?

Creator: R4GE April 28, 2014 11:14am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Do you enjoy playing Supports?
R4GE
<Member>
R4GE's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 28, 2014 11:14am | Report
I've seen that Mid lane is one of the most preffered lanes and I see frequently players spam "TOP" and "MID" in champion select. Everyone fights for their preffered roles and flame a bit, in the end everyone have locked in their champion and then there is the last pick or as I called it, the filler, who have to pick Support because his team doesn't want to play Support, he often complain but plays Support instead.

There is a small group of people who actually wants to play Support, why? Can one reason be that the players are upset with their kills, maybe because they want to carry or that the role is boring for them?
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 28, 2014 11:18am | Report
Well there are plenty of people who enjoy supporting (gold and above) because Riot made supports so much stronger and versatile. Also the new items make them quite cool imo.

I enjoy playing supports myself.

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 28, 2014 11:22am | Report
I main support. I think the dynamics of bot lane combat is most fun as a support.
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 28, 2014 11:30am | Report
Supports aren't that popular because:
* You are duolaning. In solo queue, that can be a real pain
* Even though supports have more influence than previously, they are still the most team-dependant role (or something suddenly changed without me knowing)
* For a lot of people, the ego will be less satisfied because the score of a support is less often shiny.

I myself don't really enjoy playing support. I don't hate it either, but it just isn't as satisfying as top or mid. To me at least, anyway.
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Hogopogo
Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Nebrasketball
<Inhouse Regular>
Nebrasketball's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 28, 2014 11:36am | Report
I think a cc/engage heavy support is the third most influential role in determining a game behind jungle and mid.
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 28, 2014 11:37am | Report
support is often seen as the "*****" role. because you are not actively killing and racking up a 21/3/7 or something like that. It interferes with the fantasy that most of the lower tier players see of being a badass and great and carrying the game to a win.

Most of the higher tiered players don't have this affliction because they know that A) It is important to the game and they understand the role it plays to the team composition and B) It helps them understand the different dynamics of the game by playing different champs and roles anyway and c) in the case of pro level players, it helps them understand what their teammates might go through in a given match-up.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 28, 2014 11:39am | Report
Meiyjhe wrote:

Supports aren't that popular because:
* You are duolaning. In solo queue, that can be a real pain
* Even though supports have more influence than previously, they are still the most team-dependant role (or something suddenly changed without me knowing)
* For a lot of people, the ego will be less satisfied because the score of a support is less often shiny.

I myself don't really enjoy playing support. I don't hate it either, but it just isn't as satisfying as top or mid. To me at least, anyway.

Duolaning can be a pain, but theres a chance it's more of a pain for the enemy team. Lots of people get "forced" to support, so if you main support, you can easily pick on the people you know don't belong in the lane. ;p
I don't look at it as dependency, I look at it as they depend on me to set everything up for them. They rely on me. Not the other way around.

I guess you gotta find your own reasons to make support fun. That's what all support mains do. I simply enjoy being the brick wall between the enemy team and mine. I like being the guy that CC locks everyone and sets up every kill. Who cares if I didn't go 21/2/1? I went 1/2/21 and I'm ok with that because I am support.
Eistod
<Member>
Eistod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 28, 2014 11:43am | Report
I don't play support often, but it can be fun with an ADC which knows what he's doing. Otherwise it's just horrible.
But I'm always happy if I get an awesome support as ADC.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 28, 2014 11:46am | Report
People are dumb and selfish. I don't know why anyone would prefer top lane over anything right now it's literally the worst thing in the world.
Out Of Pancakes
<Inhouse Addict>
Out Of Pancakes's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 28, 2014 11:46am | Report
Supports rule botlane, they are the one that are making the plays.
I have more than once found the support role denied to me by someone else though.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide