Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Why is Support role not wanted so much?

Creator: R4GE April 28, 2014 11:14am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Do you enjoy playing Supports?
Relentless Logic
<Member>
Relentless Logic's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2014 12:32am | Report
What you fail to realise is - irrespective of how incredible you are at support, you STILL need your adc/ someone else in the team to follow up. As a support player in solo-queue, you REALLY depends a lot on communication and co-ordination. Which is naturally lacking seeing as to how you're playing with strangers.

As a Fizz, Zed or Le Blanc, I don't need anyone to follow up. I can roam, double kill bot or spam kills top, and just need the laners to be turret poking monkeys. Essentially, stronger minions. You're not going to pull that off on a Thresh. As a Thresh, you NEED that Caitlyn who has only 75 cs in 25 mins to do something once you land a perfectly timed combo.

At a professional level supports are of prime importance, but in solo-queue, really not so much. If your adc sucks, you WILL get destroyed a majority of the times. And as only 0.00000001% of the players ARE professional, your statement does not apply to the general playing community.

Best,
The Logician
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2014 12:51am | Report
I've played support since Season 1, so I've always enjoyed it. I think the support role is fantastic this season. I think there was a lot more of a skill discrepancy between good supports and bad supports last season, but all in all I'm really happy with the way supports play. I actually think a lot more people are receptive to the idea of supporting than they have been in the past. Back in season 1 and 2, nobody would ever want to support. Now I actually see people asking for the role. I think it's constantly been going in the right direction
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2014 2:35am | Report
Joxuu wrote:

(Applies for SoloQ)

- You don't get credit
- You are still somewhat forced to buy certain items that leave you generally behind statwise to support your team. Could add here that you're pretty much the only one taking care of vision.
- You're reliant on AD carry
- Can't make as big plays
- It's not very action rich role damage wise. Meaning you generally can't 1v1.
- "Unimportant" role.
- Most of the players are bronze - silver where most people don't have a clue what effort supports put into the game.

May have the same point twice but I hope I don't.

-> Coming from support main.

^Still stands whether or not you yourself find support to be a boring role, OTG. Nobody was calling it boring, I just said it wasn't enjoyable for me personally.

thank you jhoijhoi for the signature <3
TheKut
<Member>
TheKut's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2014 3:37am | Report
I'm not too fond of support, but that may just be because I haven't really gotten into the stronger support picks like Leona, Thresh or Morgana. I'm sure I could enjoy support, but I just happen to get top, mid or adc more often which I currently enjoy more.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2014 3:46am | Report
Shh, keep your voice down. We don't want to be forced out of our support role, do we?
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2014 4:55am | Report
Quoted:

^Still stands whether or not you yourself find support to be a boring role, OTG. Nobody was calling it boring, I just said it wasn't enjoyable for me personally.

Maybe in EUW. I get credited all the time for my work in soloQ. And yea, we are forced to buy items, but I'm ok with the burden of warding. It's not as bad as it was in S3. We're not the only ones taking care of vision. Sure we do most of it, but junglers DO help a lot, and good mid and top laners help too.

"Can't make big plays"? Please, I watch high tier supports make amazing plays all the time. I always feel like I'm making big plays myself when I play support in soloq. There's a noticable difference in win rates for me when I support vs when I try other roles, (meaning my plays are far better as a support).

The only correct thing Joxuu said about support is that they can't 1v1. Gotta agree to that, though some supports can get fed as hell and carry with damage ( Morgana, Zyra, etc).

But supports definitely don't feel unimportant. It's pretty silly to even imply they are.

And @Logician, good post, but I'd like to point out that you can make a bad ADC seem less bad. Like utopus said, you can generally easily make an enemy ADC's life hell, even "bad" ADC's can help you in doing so. Also I generally find just making good plays creates a moral boost for most ADCs. Complimenting them on their good work at the role goes a long way as well. +rep to you though.
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2014 5:11am | Report

Maybe in EUW. I get credited all the time for my work in soloQ. And yea, we are forced to buy items, but I'm ok with the burden of warding. It's not as bad as it was in S3. We're not the only ones taking care of vision. Sure we do most of it, but junglers DO help a lot, and good mid and top laners help too.

"Can't make big plays"? Please, I watch high tier supports make amazing plays all the time. I always feel like I'm making big plays myself when I play support in soloq. There's a noticable difference in win rates for me when I support vs when I try other roles, (meaning my plays are far better as a support).

The only correct thing Joxuu said about support is that they can't 1v1. Gotta agree to that, though some supports can get fed as hell and carry with damage ( Morgana, Zyra, etc).

But supports definitely don't feel unimportant. It's pretty silly to even imply they are.
Feels can differ from person to person. Doesn't mean that supports aren't important, but it is true that often I myself just feel like a warding machine that sometimes pulls enemies when I play support. Whereas toplaning, where I continuously apply pressure on their towers, steal enemy jungle camps, duel people that come by. That is way more exiting to me than throwing down some CC's and warding stuff.

You may disagree with that, you may say that support is fun and everyone that disagrees with that is wrong, but I am sure that you also have a role you don't enjoy which other people do.
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Thalia Kael

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2014 5:12am | Report
@OTG "Can't make as big plays" - Meaning you can do plays.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2014 5:17am | Report
Last post wasn't about it being fun or not. Warding definitely isn't a majority of the role though. That's like me saying I feel like an afk farm machine when I play Tryndamere jungle even though I do a lot of other things like splitpush, slaughter towers, teams and soloing dragons.

I could say jungling is boring (This season) because I feel like that every game and I'm sure someone will come to correct me and lay down what junglers actually do and why it's important as hell (please don't, I already know, I'm making a point).

@Joxuu, how can they not be as big of plays though? I'm not quite getting that statement when support plays can make or break a team in soloQ. it only takes one hook, one clutch Soraka heal, one well placed leona ultimate to win team fights at times. How are these not big plays? Supports are usually the ones that punish people for being out of position the most.
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 29, 2014 5:29am | Report

Last post wasn't about it being fun or not. Warding definitely isn't a majority of the role though. That's like me saying I feel like an afk farm machine when I play Tryndamere jungle even though I do a lot of other things like splitpush, slaughter towers, teams and soloing dragons.

I could say jungling is boring (This season) because I feel like that every game and I'm sure someone will come to correct me and lay down what junglers actually do and why it's important as hell (please don't, I already know, I'm making a point).

Why would someone come by and tell you everything about how important jungling is when you say you dont like jungling? Those are two complete different things.

There are people don't like going to dentists, paying taxes, eating vegetables, cleaning, administration etc., but that doesn't mean that the same people also don't realise the importance of it. They just do it because they have to do it, or not even that. Telling them how important it all is just makes them feel annoyed.
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Thalia Kael

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide