Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Why is Support role not wanted so much?

Creator: R4GE April 28, 2014 11:14am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Do you enjoy playing Supports?
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 30, 2014 6:37pm | Report
polse is right though it is kinda jannas job to interrupt dashes, its sorta why you pick you since she has 2 skills that can do that
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 30, 2014 7:15pm | Report
Problems with supports:
You don't farm minions (and thats pretty much the only thing that makes laning interesting)
If you're an engage support you can do about 1 combo every minute or so, and then go back to not doing anything, otherwise you'll get forced out of lane.
If you're a poke support you sit there and try to poke people, which doesnt work particularly well because they just regen the health back.
If you're blitzcrank you pull every 13 seconds.
If youre Janna you don't do any damage.
And if there's an support champion that doesn't do any of these I havent played then yet.

Basically MOBAFire.
Qione
<Altruistic Artist>
Qione's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 30, 2014 9:27pm | Report
That's probably because supports don't get the chance to take the kills and they are usually not credited for their heals, barriers, engage, saves, etc.
Supports are the one helping the ADC to get kills in bot lane but people don't praise the support instead they will be saying the ADC is good, etc.
However I main support because I find it fun when you are the one stunning, healing, and more even though you are not recognized by your teammates.
Annie Guide ♪ Soraka Guide ♪ Signature Shop ♪ +Rep & Cuddles :3
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 1, 2014 5:16am | Report
Quoted:

If i was playing ad-carry and get hit by a bushed Leona E, i'm gonna blame my janna if she doesn't interrupt it and i died cuz of it.

I would argue that this is your own fault for not understanding enemy or your own positioning. It's not supports fault that you make mistake but your support is capable of correcting that mistake. However it's not childsplay to save someone from getting caught by surprise. It's much easier when you are able to predict the move.

Like you should never get in range of Leona E if you can't count on juking it or turning the fight around.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
Pølsemanden
<Member>
Pølsemanden's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 1, 2014 7:08am | Report
Joxuu wrote:

I would argue that this is your own fault for not understanding enemy or your own positioning. It's not supports fault that you make mistake but your support is capable of correcting that mistake. However it's not childsplay to save someone from getting caught by surprise. It's much easier when you are able to predict the move.

Like you should never get in range of Leona E if you can't count on juking it or turning the fight around.

Well if my Janna blocks the Leonas E i can with a janna shield outtrade the enemy ad-carry.

Am just saying that the whole "omg why you always blame the support" is kinda making sense because the supports job is 50% counterplaying the enemy.

Enemy has vision advantage in bot-lane, it's probably my supports fault as well. It just seems that supports(at least back when i played) were just reputing blame by saying "sure, blame the support" when in fact the support was to blame -> i was probably even one of the supports who did that(i basically haven't played since s4 start though so i don't know if that mentality's still there)
Ty MM and Blood for the sigs :3 | Rammus is comming back - heard it here first!

"Carrying"-guide | My reviewservice
Uuskilu
<Member>
Uuskilu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 1, 2014 7:27am | Report
The reason I tend to dislike support is usually because I get forced into it, I have no clue what my ADCs playstyle is like and in most cases never want to ping or follow my pings and they tend to initiate when I fall back and vice versa. I've tried typing in chat and pinging more but I'd say it only works about one third of the time. However when I go into support as a premade bot lane I can say they are some of the most fun times I've had, I really enjoy coordinating with my teammates and duo laning gives me that oppurtunity. I main top lane and I prefer solo top by a long shot so duo laning is fun for me but I am only a good ADC with a decent/good support and i'm usually a good support but with bad ADCs it doesn't make too much difference because if I want to initiate and they don't then that's when bad things happen
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the epic sigpic

Also, check out my Soundcloud, I make music..kinda
https://soundcloud.com/agentagent/tracks
FantasySniper
<Member>
FantasySniper's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2014 8:26pm | Report
I main both ADC and Support, but I generally don't enjoy playing support.
You deal with a lot of **** and are almost always in a situation where any influence you have completely relies on the competence capability of your allies.

Problems with supports:
You don't farm minions (and thats pretty much the only thing that makes laning interesting)
If you're an engage support you can do about 1 combo every minute or so, and then go back to not doing anything, otherwise you'll get forced out of lane.
If you're a poke support you sit there and try to poke people, which doesnt work particularly well because they just regen the health back.
If you're blitzcrank you pull every 13 seconds.
If youre Janna you don't do any damage.
And if there's an support champion that doesn't do any of these I havent played then yet.

1. dotdotdot
2. Its a max of every 16 seconds or so. Learn to pressure.
3. Learn to pressure. Don't play Nidalee support.
4. If you're Blitzcrank, you don't attempt to pull every 13 seconds or you waste mana.
5. dotdotdot
6. dotdotdot
If you want to help me, teach me.
Relentless Logic
<Member>
Relentless Logic's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2014 3:15pm | Report
Lol this thread, the decision criteria in most comments are so alarmingly flawed that it needs to be stated out; hence the lol.

Facts:

-> Majority of the games in question are solo-queue.

-> In low elo, which I believe incorporates anything below plat3- support role is irrelevant, the competence of the marksman arbitrarily determines lane dominance. A God support who makes unbelievable plays WILL lose lane with moronic marksmen; this applies 100% of the time. The reserve need not be true.

-> The nature of the MARKSMAN matters. An aggressive marksman will be good at poking, and generally know when he can all-in, irrespective of whether or not the support makes a play. A defensive Marksman will know how to last-hit well under turret, making the support essentially irrelevant (the turret supports, the turret helps last-hit, go afk plz Thresh)

-> You're NEVER going to carry your lane, ever. Harsh reality, deal with it. Buff your marksman? Good job. Did he go in and make use of it? Yes - congrats. No? Well you're irrelevant kiddo. Support being a tool? Np, there is hope for competent Marksmen.

-> Enjoyability and success have a direct correlation. Repeated failure, on your part or your marksman, who you're in a majority of the situations playing with FOR THE FIRST TIME leads to despondence (a fairly high chance of miscommunication for aforementioned reasons and heighten the chances for said failure).

Analysis:

As the last point elucidates, since there are SO MANY VARIABLES involved such as:
-> Being queued with a CAPABLE marksman
-> One who COMPLIMENTS your play-style, or rather - you complement theirs
-> Enemy Marksman isn't better than yours because then you really can't do much (We'd all rather have an uber-competent enemy supp than Uzi v2.0)

your enjoyability of your role is heavily dependent upon and influenced by your co-laner. The balance is tilted in favour of the marksman, as you need him MORE than he needs you. Ergo, your enjoyability and happiness depends on a stranger. Does not make a strong case for "enjoying" support as a role, in general.

Still, "man is a rational animal" - basic principle economics does not apply, because man in general isn't. You may enjoy support for reasons known only to you.

FYI, I dislike playing the role.

Regards,
The Logician
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2014 3:34pm | Report
It's because you have to babysit your entire team and make up for whatever your team lacks while majestically keeping the flow of the fight in your team's favor to the best of your abilities to the point where one of your mistakes is enough to butcher any advantage you may have had.
It's stressful, team reliant & under appreciated.
Still fun for me tho o/

As for this;
Quoted:

If i was playing ad-carry and get hit by a bushed Leona E, i'm gonna blame my janna if she doesn't interrupt it and i died cuz of it.

You shouldn't do this as an ad carry. Never purposely put your life in danger counting on your support to somehow turn it in to your favor. If you plan to do it though, at least warn your support that you're going to purposely position in a dangerous way to win a cheesy exchange so they know to expect ballsy plays.

tl;dr don't position like that it doesn't help unless ahead or you have enemies with a substantially lower skill level.

(as always, it's my opinion)
Thanks to Koksei for the sig!
Nebrasketball
<Inhouse Regular>
Nebrasketball's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2014 4:00pm | Report
Not having vision control is the supports fault. Doesn't excuse the adc's actions for being aggressive with no lane control. Anyway, this thread is a lot of "I don't understand a role, therefore it must suck". If you can't carry a game as a support, you simply are not good enough at the role.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide