Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Your guides are ****.

Creator: throatslasher August 31, 2012 12:37pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

MyRepublic
<Member>
MyRepublic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 8:04pm | Report
Too late. The derailment has occured. Prepare to meet tangent in 10...9...8...

Thank you Miss Maw, CasterMaster and Arcana3 for the sweet sigs. I'd definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a nice sig.

"But we are stronger creatures than babies, why cant we hunt them?"- Meiyjhe
RaNuD
<Member>
RaNuD's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 8:07pm | Report

That being said, I'm tired of the featured guides being the same for months at a time. We need a better way to rate guides and a better way to display good up and coming guides with accurate information.

As already stated by I-dont-know-who, the community here is pretty casual/inexperienced (which is different from "bad") Any vote based system would rely on a casual/inexperienced player pool. I know it also sounds elitistic, but I cant see a way arround it.
In a thread about his own ban,
gabpin wrote:
stfu I only did that : swearing and thats why i got ban are u ****** or something ?

In a thread about toxic players,
Go be a whiny baby elsewhere. Find and abuse the ignore button. No sense stinking up this forum with your crying.
Fox Rage
<Member>
Fox Rage's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 8:19pm | Report

1. remove the percentages from +1/-1'ing a guide. just have upvotes and downvotes. I find, as a newbie looking at the guide, that the percentages next to the guides are confusing.

2. create a true, hard-*** guide mod team of nothing but platinum players at first. These people know how to win. The best way to win, is to build optimally and play optimally. Have people submit applications, along with 10-15 champs that are their mains. Create a guide squad that has all 101 champions covered.

3. Remove all featured guides from being featured, and bump them down to 'hottest'

4. No more "top 5 guides" too much **** is floating up into the top 5.

5. Make your featured section something that people go to when they want to know, hands down balls out, the best way to play a champion. There can be SLIGHT variation. Rod of ages morgana is fine, but abyssal rush is good, and zhonyas rush is OPTIMAL.

5.5 Have each guide for each champion co-written by 2 people, and approved/edited by 2 additional staff members, or written by 1 person, and approved/edited by 4 additional staff members. They can't straight edit, but they can make recommendations and take votes on issues with the guides.

5.75 Each featured guide will have a youtube video of a high elo ranked game where that champ is being played. The rare exceptions will be people like heimerdinger and other tragically underpowered champs. Then, at the top of the guide, will be a disclaimer like, "HEIMERDING IS A VERY FUN, UNIQUE CHAMPION. HIS KIT MAKES HIM VERY STRONG AT SECURING OBJECTIVES AND POKE. HOWEVER, HIS KIT IS VERY UNDERWHELMING, AND HE CAN BE A DETRIMENT TO A TEAM. THAT BEING SAID, YOU SHOULD ONLY PLAY HEIMERDINGER IN RANKED AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU LIKE HEIMERDINGER, YOU MIGHT LIKE ZYRA. SHE IS VERY COMPETITIVE, AND HAS A SIMILAR KIT, ALL WHILE BEING INFINITLY MORE USEFUL THAN HEIMER, PLEASE, ENJOY THE GUIDE"

6. Remove voting from these featured guides. There is no point.

I really like mobafire for the community. Only reason I come here is for the forum. I don't care about the guides mainly because I know 98% of them are complete trash, and I'd have to spend hours finding the decent ones, when I can just type in solomid and get a great guide. Your posts usually sums up my thoughts, the one I quoted included of course. I agree with all of your point except one, the 5.75. I'm not a big fan of publicity, so I'm not really fund of that one, since it is, in a way, a form of publicity for the pros. Just seing the author in action using his build would be enough

+rep me and you'll get good karma, wich means you won't be reincarnated into a rock! Isn't that awesome?

But yes this idea has been discussed more than Pam Anderson's tits in a plastic surgeons office.
MyRepublic
<Member>
MyRepublic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 8:24pm | Report
You found derailment's weakness. Acknowledging the derailment.

Thank you Miss Maw, CasterMaster and Arcana3 for the sweet sigs. I'd definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a nice sig.

"But we are stronger creatures than babies, why cant we hunt them?"- Meiyjhe
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 8:36pm | Report
Vavena wrote:

Moon... = =
People do not put too much value on elo. Elo isn't a perfect indication of skill, but it's accurate enough. There is not such thing as getting to high elo with luck. Getting carried by duo by playing support sure, that's possible since you see it with a few 2k+ female players. But anyways there is no such thing as being better then a 2k when you are having issues winning in the lower elo range.

btw no one worships plats, or at least I don't. I really don't like it when people bow down to them like they are gods or some ****.. they are just as human as a random 800 elo :D

I don't even play ranked, but yes I have played with 1900 elo players, and found that I am a better player. I have friends who are 1500-1600 elo and I feel I'm a significantly better player, I think even they'd admit that. You get elo for what you put into it. Some poeple play hundreds and hundreds of games for their elo. Some people even have higher elo with a negative spread, as in more losses than wins, does that seem logical? I'm not saying you'll get 2k elo off just luck, but there is that aspect in any game. I'm generally a person who believes you'll get what elo you deserve if you work at it. I think of all people you should know this because I have a very 0 BS policy when I play, I really don't deal with ****. I'm surprised you think I'm a player who would blame the system.

Vavena wrote:

But anyways there is no such thing as being better then a 2k when you are having issues winning in the lower elo range.

was this addressed specifically to me? or in general. I can think of players who have gotten beat in inhouse games by people who have higher elo than them. I can think of many circumstances where that occured, and not even for me.
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Vavena
<Member>
Vavena's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 8:38pm | Report
No it wasn't addressed to you, just saying it as a general thought.

btw
Naive thoughts shouldn't be acknowledge, Moon.. I could only hope to be at a plat lvl someday, yet you take it so lightly.
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 8:53pm | Report
Oh I'm late to this ;o

I just glanced through all of the pages, but I generally agree with what's going on here, just not such a hostile attitude >_>

A week ago I made a sort of petition thread thing in the vet forums, for basically this. With the recent issue of SWAGRID and his Karthus guide having Nashor's and being at the top, I ended up making a Karth guide to basically bump his away (he ended up getting "vaporized" and his guides archived, and my guide trolled down quite a bit) and I made a thread basically saying how this guide system has to change. Many ideas that you have, such as a panel of plat players, I proposed, but only a few people, namely Jeffy Nighthawk and Wayne, steadily agreed.

The reason none of this is happening and is probably not going to is because of the general attitude that this is a site where ANYONE could make a guide. I respect that and like that fact about this site, but that does not mean EVERYONE should receive an equal chance in their guide being at the top (level 1's statistically can get to the top just as easily as scarra making a guide here). That Karthus guide was a prime example, along with a lot of other top guides.

There ARE a lot of great guides on this site, they are just buried and hidden by the **** ones which makes this site look bad.

The response of a lot of people, including jhoijhoi and Mowen, was basically that you can't change this fact, there will always be **** guides.

But you can, and the thoughts that you can't are why this site is not going forward.

As you mentioned, and I wholeheartedly agree, this site, although it has a robust community and a great new eSports section, is a GUIDE site. The majority of people who come here are to read the GUIDES. What picture are people getting when the guide they read is about building a Lich Bane on Kassadin, or a Nashor's Tooth and Hextech Gunblade on Karthus?

Noobs come and don't know any better, go to the top guide, vote it up and see a Nashor's on Karthus and must think that that is clearly how you build him, coz the top build says so.

The root of the issue on this site is not so much the ability of anyone to make a guide, but the scoring system, which allows terrible guides to get voted up into oblivion with difficulty of coming back down; likewise, really good guides in their early stages of just being released are hit way too hard by downvotes, which often come from trolls, non-knowledgeable players, and people with other guides for the same champion to keep their guide at the top. That effectively removed it from the public eye forever.

A great example is Incapacitate's (Fruyti Kitty) new Leb guide. It is perfect, perfect build, everything. He is a 2k player who mains LeBlanc, he knows what is right.

Yet a few idiot trolls downvote him early on, and now it is at 82% (last I checked) and will probably stay down in that region, whereas Critorious's guide for LeBlanc, where he gets a Mejai's and an Archangel's Staff, will stay at the top.

THIS is the problem with this site, and SOMETHING needs to be done. I literally said that line around 50 times in the vet forum, so I thank you throat for this thread and I thank you for being so blunt -- maybe NOW people will listen to me.

With that being said, I think we should make a new thread with a more appropo title, to remove all the clutter, where we can legitimately, perhaps with constant input from Matt and Flash and Mowen as well, come up with a new system.

I proposed this multiple times, but I think the best system is solomid's. Score isn't shown at the outset, so each guide has an equal chance of being clicked on (more likely if it is more updated; they are organized by date last updated, which is terrific and is a better system than the current fresh/stale system). Then, you can see what the public's thought of the guide is to see if it is a reputable source, and look at the guide for yourself. Currently on MOBAFire, if you are not in the top 2 or 3 guides, you are basically doomed, and your guide is forgotten.

I think the featuring system is great too -- besides the people mentioned, I have a plethora of platinum players that I know, many of which would most likely be willing to help. Maybe lowering the Elo requirement to be on this "panel" would make it a bit easier, or even base it off a test on LoL knowledge of sorts that Nameless proposed in the Vet forums. These people will make sure that the guides that really get noticed aren't so much about visuals as they are good info and build (altho good aesthetics is definitely a plus).

The thing about the old vet rec system was that it DID influence votes -- people DID look at what the vets rec'd. However, and I agree, it is not necessary to be knowledgeable to be a vet, so I don't think it was proper to give that power to vets -- but why not plats?

Another issue to overcome, however, is the trolls; often, when a guide hits the "top in 30 days" section, it gets shot down a lot due to trolls; this can happen too if this rec/feature system is implemented without a change in the voting system.

TL;DR: Thank you slasher. Something on MOBAFire has to be changed, and it has to be changed quickly.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Diesel
<Veteran>
Diesel's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 9:12pm | Report

I proposed this multiple times, but I think the best system is solomid's. Score isn't shown at the outset, so each guide has an equal chance of being clicked on (more likely if it is more updated; they are organized by date last updated, which is terrific and is a better system than the current fresh/stale system). Then, you can see what the public's thought of the guide is to see if it is a reputable source, and look at the guide for yourself. Currently on MOBAFire, if you are not in the top 2 or 3 guides, you are basically doomed, and your guide is forgotten.

Even though it seems like MOBAFire and Solomid are at civil war, you're right. Those who want the top spot and to be noticed need to work for it, not to have their friends and friends of friends upvote their guide and downvote every one else. I can tell you that's why I up and archived most of my guides months ago since most of them, while good during their time, were downvoted in the bunches random days when a new guide would come out, to the point where my guides were dropped so low they'd never return up, and people will just bypass anything not in the high 80s and above.

Leaving the percentages out and keeping the relevance of maintaining a good guide as the top priority is a step in the right direction for the guides and may actually prompt guide-makers to heed commenters' advice and tweak guides more often to better their guides for the many guests of MOBAFire to see.
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 9:20pm | Report
Mowen wrote:

Hi throatslasher,

I don't really appreciate the title thread (just because of the excessive unnecessary aggression), but the conversation seems to be constructive enough that we can keep it going for now. Just letting you know yes I have read every comment in this thread, but I don't have much to add at this point as several of the Vets have said what I would say anyways.

I am curious though, how does Solomid deal with verifying that the Solomid account is the same as the LoL account they're claiming to have 2k elo on (or whatever)? The only thing I can think of is adding them to friends and discussing it with them on LoL. We really wish Riot would let us somehow link LoL account to MOBAFire account as that would let us do a lot of cool stuff but that's not the case.

Also, Booshido isn't plat, silly Nighthawk... http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/19495620

I'm not a guide mod, but i have a good understanding of how it works.
The guide mods on solomid are serious business. The integrity of featured/approved is a big deal.
The way someone proves they are who they SAY they are, is they PM mods on SM, they get on league and add and verify it's them, and then they review the guide. All guide mods are SEASONED players and can spot ******** from a mile away. Also, the community is very discerning. My malzahar guide got picked to shreds in the comment section, and I amended some mistakes, and explained my reasonings when I felt i was right.

tl;dr
get on league, add each other, verify
read the guide, if they're not who they say they are, they probably wrote an inferior guide.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2012 9:31pm | Report
Now in regards to what Throatslasher is saying, I don't understand why we would put platinum elo players on a pedestal. I think Jeffy said it best when he said, "what is solomid other than a website for people to suck off pro players". That's pretty much what it is, why do we want mobafire to be like that. For as many idiots as we have here, I can say I genuinely like the community because it isn't so elo driven. There really isn't that "900 elo noob gtfo" in every thread. Ironic that it took someone from solomid to bring that mentality here. Nope i didn't think it was that ironic either.

Nobody sucks off pro players at SM. Dyrus and reginald are ****. HSGG is ****. they're completely outclassed by unknowns. Go read SM forums. all you see is people bashing TSM nonstop. Nobody sucks pros' ****s over there, but for the most part we respect their knowledge of champions. Wingsofdeathx can play riven like a machine. Salce is a godly vlad. I think i'll read their guide and pick their brain and see why they make the decisions they make.

For people hating on my attitude, get over it. There are more pressing issues for your community. Listen to the message, not the messenger. I'm pissed that you do tens of thousands of your followers a disservice by letting your terrible guide system go on one day longer.

I don't care about individual n00bs. You? I don't care about you. But as a whole, I think that our noob community is very important. If we constantly feed them bad information, then they will not perform very well, and they may get frustrated and quit league of legends. If people start getting frustrated and quitting league because they don't know that the builds they use are wrong, then league will lose money. If league loses money, it will stop growing and evolving, which benefits EVERYONE. I WANT NOOBS TO GET BETTER, LEARN THE META, AND THEN LEARN HOW TO THEORY CRAFT AND HAVE FUN. I DON'T WANT THEM TO GO TELEPORT CLARITY AND GET *****TOMPED IN 800 ELO. THEN THEY WILL TAKE THEIR PRECIOS $$$ AWAY FROM LEAGUE AND PUT IT INTO RUNESCAPE.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide