Mobafire League of Legends Build Guides Mobafire League of Legends Build Guides
's Forum Avatar

New Layout.

Creator: DuffTime
January 9, 2012 12:08pm
17 posts page 1 of 2 Forums » Site Support » New Layout.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep | Commend by DuffTime » January 9, 2012 12:08pm | Report
Can someone explain the new front page layout to me, and explain why best of 30 days is no longer the first thing displayed when a person opens the MobaFire page?
Learn the true S3 op, Tryndamere!
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/duffs-season-3-hamdamere-296968
Best Aatrox in The world, with a Video Guide!
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/duffs-336706
Like my official DuffTime Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/DuffTime
Follow me on Twitter, @RealDuffTime
Come hang out when I'm streaming! http://www.twitch.tv/dufftime
DuffTime's Forum Avatar

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
DuffTime
<Member>
Posts: 12302
Joined: Oct 31st, 2010
Rep: Renowned (670)
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep | Commend by jhoijhoi » January 9, 2012 3:09pm | Report
I imagine Matt and Flash hoped that Scouted guides would have went over nicer than it has, leading it great guides featured on the front page. Not just the best of 30 days, but the best "of all time" deemed so by scouts.

However, currently guests are exposed to sub-par guides (guides that may have been rec'd by vets a long time ago and forgotten) until more scout points are given out, or the scout point threshold is lowered.
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
Posts: 13961
Joined: Mar 20th, 2011
Rep: Exalted (1943)
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep | Commend by Mowen » January 9, 2012 5:09pm | Report
I talked with Duff a bit about this. I believe Duff was concerned with the ability for new guides to get publicity when the Best of 30 Days is not the first thing newcomers see.

The only way for a guide to get a good score is to get enough votes to hit the best of 30 days group and then continue getting votes from there. So I think Duff felt like the Scout's opinions were overpowering the ability for new guides to get good ratings, which I must agree with is an issue.

I am not sure which one is more important though. Publicizing new guides or publicizing scouted guides, I will leave that up to Matt to decide.
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
Mowen's Forum Avatar

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Mowen
<Production Coordinator>
Posts: 6333
Joined: Nov 7th, 2010
Rep: Renowned (580)
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep | Commend by PsiGuard » January 9, 2012 5:23pm | Report
Mowen wrote:

The only way for a guide to get a good score is to get enough votes to hit the best of 30 days group and then continue getting votes from there.

That's not true. I don't disagree with prioritizing the 30 days list, but that's not the only way to get votes.
Thanks to Minho for the sig!
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
PsiGuard
<Community Manager>
Posts: 7866
Joined: Jun 26th, 2011
Rep: Eminent (928)
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep | Commend by Mowen » January 9, 2012 7:01pm | Report
Sorry then.

The only way to get a good score without having 30 friends upvote your guide.
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
Mowen's Forum Avatar

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Mowen
<Production Coordinator>
Posts: 6333
Joined: Nov 7th, 2010
Rep: Renowned (580)
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep | Commend by Nighthawk » January 9, 2012 7:03pm | Report
Downvotes > Upvotes

Why upvote a guide when you can downvote it and have twice or even three times the impact?


Nighthawk's Forum Avatar

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Posts: 10022
Joined: Dec 7th, 2010
Rep: Renowned (680)
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep | Commend by jhoijhoi » January 10, 2012 5:47am | Report
Mowen: Since when do newcomers read new guides? Most people read the top 1-3 guides for the champion they want to check out until they start to enjoy MobaFire and just read everything.

I think it's better for newcomers to be exposed to good guides, guides that have community approval, than new guides.
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
Posts: 13961
Joined: Mar 20th, 2011
Rep: Exalted (1943)
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep | Commend by Luther3000 » January 10, 2012 10:39am | Report
Mowen wrote:

The only way for a guide to get a good score is to get enough votes to hit the best of 30 days group and then continue getting votes from there.

Mowen wrote:

Sorry then.

The only way to get a good score without having 30 friends upvote your guide.


^ This.
Luther3000's Forum Avatar

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Posts: 8046
Joined: Jun 24th, 2011
Rep: Esteemed (440)
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep | Commend by DuffTime » January 10, 2012 11:58am | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

That's not true. I don't disagree with prioritizing the 30 days list, but that's not the only way to get votes.


The only way to get votes (Lots of votes) is to be the first thing that shows up on the front page. The active Moba community is the smallest part of it's community as a whole. Most members just log on to check a guide and log out. Most viewers never log in at all, just simply open the page, read a guide, close the page, continue on their way.

Everyone should have equal access to this traffic flow of less active viewers and voters, and if anything scout recs and such should be an avenue to reach that, not be the main object and the instrument behind that. To be clear, I am saying that a scout point should not be the reason that the flow of tens or hundreds of thousands viewers see a person's guide. That may even carry MORE weight than a rec point did before in some regards.

As it stands, those points are still carrying too much weight now and it's in many ways comparable to how it was before as a result, because the first thing the people who are not familiar with MobaFire see is the first thing that shows up. (Which right now are guides with scout votes)

It's fine if the guides of 30 days are not the first thing on the page, but I don't believe we will ever get any new guides into #1 or #2 places without the 30 days guides being close to the top. If our goal of the website is to be fair and balanced with our users, then we are not doing that by prioritizing scout points over best guides of thirty days.

Unless something new is developed, I feel that might be the only way to get newer guides towards the top.

Mowen wrote:

I am not sure which one is more important though. Publicizing new guides or publicizing scouted guides, I will leave that up to Matt to decide.


If the goal of removing "Vet recs"and implementing "Scout points" was to decrease the influence of individual voters strength, then putting scout rec'd guides as the first thing you see undoes a lot of the progress made in implementing the scout point system.

Even if guides with scout points are the second or third thing you see, the impact is drastically different.

Personally I am not against scout points carrying impact, I just think "Best of 30 day" guides should still ideally be the first thing a player sees when they open League.

Mowen wrote:

The only way to get a good score without having 30 friends upvote your guide.


Absolutely the case. Only more active users will be able to get guides voted up because active users have more access to the scouts who will be giving the scout points.

Other users, who may be new, (I myself for example didn't even know MobaFire had a forum when I made my first guide, which is still my highest rated guide to date thanks to best guide of 30 days.) may be unable to get the votes, and their guide may just rest dead forever, because realistically the only way to get publicity on a guide is to be one of the first things that show up on the page.
Learn the true S3 op, Tryndamere!
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/duffs-season-3-hamdamere-296968
Best Aatrox in The world, with a Video Guide!
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/duffs-336706
Like my official DuffTime Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/DuffTime
Follow me on Twitter, @RealDuffTime
Come hang out when I'm streaming! http://www.twitch.tv/dufftime
DuffTime's Forum Avatar

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
DuffTime
<Member>
Posts: 12302
Joined: Oct 31st, 2010
Rep: Renowned (670)
Blog   |   Profile
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep | Commend by Nighthawk » January 10, 2012 12:43pm | Report
DuffTime wrote:
Other users, who may be new, (I myself for example didn't even know MobaFire had a forum when I made my first guide, which is still my highest rated guide to date thanks to best guide of 30 days.) may be unable to get the votes, and their guide may just rest dead forever, because realistically the only way to get publicity on a guide is to be one of the first things that show up on the page.


By your logic I should have the 91% GP guide and not Balrox Says Hi then, right?

Rest of that I agree with though, you NEED your guide on best of 30 or even having 30 friends upvote won't help you- because 1 or 2 downvotes **** you up.


Nighthawk's Forum Avatar

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Posts: 10022
Joined: Dec 7th, 2010
Rep: Renowned (680)
Blog   |   Profile

Quick Reply:

Guest commenting is currently disabled, please log in or sign up to respond!