Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Vote Limit on Guides on New Champions

Creator: Jebus McAzn February 19, 2011 5:49pm
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2011 6:37pm | Report
I think something like that would only clutter up the front page more, and it would also require weekly maintenance. In addition, I think people would just keep using the top guide, and wouldn't be as encouraged to look at recommended or new ones as they would be if we put a vote limit on.
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 22, 2011 6:51pm | Report
It wouldn't require any maintenance, it would just be based on the last champion that was added to the database. You are right though, we don't really want to add MORE to the homepage, we'd have to remove something else to make room.

The vote limit sounds pretty messy. I tend to agree with DEWO on this one... I'll think about it but, in the end it's the percentage that matters anyways, that is what the rank is based on. If you have 80% with 500 votes or 20 votes it doesn't make that big of a difference, although it's certainly easier to fall from 20 votes than from 500. I think pushing alternative suggestions that aren't based purely on score would actually be more effective in spreading the votes out.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 23, 2011 12:33am | Report
I'd like to suggest removing the "Top guides" thing.

I think removing it would really pull the site away from the "This is the top/best choice" theme that the Top guides of the month theme seems to portray.

That's the whole reason why the first ranked guides suddenly get an inflation of votes.
They get extra attention out of vague luck of turning out first as Jebus indicated.

I know that people like to know what's top and what's not, but if it's for the sake of spreading out the votes, keeping the top-guides section on the frontpage is very counter-intuitive. It would still be available under Builds & Guides on the toolbar, and if that new champion's guides list was displayed, it would let people see more variety.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 3:49am | Report
The recent influx of Jarvan builds has proved how chaotic a time period like this is.

Note for about 2-3 days after Jarvan was made available, we got dozens, if not hundreds of new builds being created. And not one of them scored above 70%. I'm sure that somewhere in the barrage of guides, there were at least one or two really great, quality builds. But the point is, these were trolled down to hell.

In the recent *****torm of comments, guides, and threads, the number one complaint we've had on the forums is "Troll voting!" A lot of people's guides have been made miserable and have lost a lot of potential attention simply because of the hype and the urge to "make your own guide the best". Because of this, a lot of unnecessary and, quite frankly, avoidable -1s have happened.

So I ask again if it may perhaps be a good idea to implement some kind of system that limits voting on a new champion or simply bans it entirely, but still makes it possible to publish a guide. I don't think that stopping guide publication is the way to go, to be honest, as people still need a resource to come to when a new champion comes out. But the way things are going on now simply promotes too much hate on the forums. How many conflicts have we seen recently because of arguments over -1s? Even some veterans are becoming fired up and pissed off at some of the comments we've seen recently.
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 2:21pm | Report
@ Matt

What about that scrolling bar with all the champs? What about making that a scrolling bar for only new champ guides?

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 6:56pm | Report
Well another thing we could consider is giving more emphasis on guides that get updated and maintained over time. For example, if a guide hasn't been updated for a couple patches it could fall off the regular listings until it gets updated again, regardless of its score. Or otherwise get faded out or "un-highlighted". Whereas guides that get updated might get extra exposure here and there or extra highlighting.

We've also discussed adding a "guide reset" feature where you could put your guide back to square one again, including the publish date, within certain limits. So if you put your guide up in the first week after a new champ and feel you got trolled, you can reset it and try again after things have calmed down. Of course you can also copy/re-publish your guide to get roughly the same effect.

I don't think there's much we can do about the flood of new guides for a new champ, it's all a part of people getting excited about something new and wanting to learn more.
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 6:57pm | Report
The scrolling champs bar is there to provide one-click access to champion guides, so it will have to stay as it is :) Or did you mean, instead of having it show the best guides, show the newest guides?
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 7:23pm | Report
Actually no I meant remove it xD But come to think of it, that seems like a great idea.
Bloofyre wrote:
May a squadron of beautiful vaginas find their way to your crotch by day's end.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 7:42pm | Report
I'm not concerned so much with the flood of guides as I am with the flood of downvotes, shoddy reasoning, sheer competitiveness, and ultimately the conflict that ensures. How many threads have we had lately complaining about troll votes? These are usually caused by the desire for one's guide to be "the best", and this desire is highest when a new champion comes out.

So yeah, it's not so much the quantity of guides and votes as it is the conflict that these votes create.
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2011 7:53pm | Report
Matt wrote:

Well another thing we could consider is giving more emphasis on guides that get updated and maintained over time. For example, if a guide hasn't been updated for a couple patches it could fall off the regular listings until it gets updated again, regardless of its score. Or otherwise get faded out or "un-highlighted". Whereas guides that get updated might get extra exposure here and there or extra highlighting.

We've also discussed adding a "guide reset" feature where you could put your guide back to square one again, including the publish date, within certain limits. So if you put your guide up in the first week after a new champ and feel you got trolled, you can reset it and try again after things have calmed down. Of course you can also copy/re-publish your guide to get roughly the same effect.

I don't think there's much we can do about the flood of new guides for a new champ, it's all a part of people getting excited about something new and wanting to learn more.

I've considered both these options, but I think the "most updated" system would get abused. A person could just open their guide every day, change one word, and then be done with it. Some guides with champions tht get updated would get more exposure than guides with champions whose items and abilities remain stagnant. I think there should be a penalty for NOT updating your guide, but no reward for doing so (mostly because the #2 tristana guide, after a situational glass cannon build, still uses the old malady >.<).

The guide reset feature could also be easily abused, and would drive people insane because they'd have to double and triple up-vote guides. Also, someone who's unsatisfied with 1 or 2 troll votes (as I was when my first guide came out) might miss out on the onslaught of good comments that come when a person really proves themselves in a guide. If this system is implemented, I refuse to go back and re-vote on any build.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide