Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

I am absolute rubbish at this game

Creator: ajscirica July 25, 2012 5:08am
1 2
ajscirica
<Member>
ajscirica's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2012 5:08am | Report
Anyone care to help me in-game? I played two Co-op vs AI matches so far. I thought I did really well in basic training so I just clicked intermediate. Apparently I'm really bad because, though I was truly trying my best, I managed to go 0-20-5. Which means, the enemy team was loaded on gold and items, and we lost horribly. Next game I tried beginner. I went 1-9-1. Still very bad, and again we lost. I kind of feel it's all my fault and I'm anxious to go into PvP because they will only be better and I don't want everyone on my team to hate me for feeding opponents (not on purpose).

In basic training I picked Ashe which I really liked and I did well with. In the Co-op vs AI matches I played with Brand and Kassadin. I absolutely hated Brand but thought Kassadin was okay despite his rather weak Q spell. I still got slaughtered, however. Every time I closed in on an enemy champion to do some damage, they would retreat, hit me with slow spells or stun spells, and kill me.

I've been reading a lot of guides here on MobaFire and realized that none of them helped me too much when it comes to the technical part of gameplay. I'm going to look on YouTube for some newbie advice but I'd really appreciate some in-game guidance and champion guidance..
Xenotechie
<Guide Critic>
Xenotechie's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2012 5:24am | Report
First off, welcome to Mobafire!

Don't be discouraged by your failures. If necessary, set up a custom game with all bots. Don't be too agressive either. In the early game, try to last hit minions. That means hit them just as they are about to die, so you get the gold from the kill. Don't try to be too aggressive, at least without the support of your lane partner.

As for summoner spells, Revive sucks. Never pick it unless you are some kind of a tank, and Ashe is not one.

Speaking of her, she is a carry. That means her weak point is the early game, but if she gets through that, she carries your team to victory. Play her safe, try to get a kill if reasonable, but don't overcommit. Keep her slow off while you are killing minions, and use her Volley to harass and discourage the enemy from attacking.

You mentioned getting slowed and stunned. That is kinda necessary unless you want to read up on every champion in the game. If you know your enemy, you will be able to avoid their slows and stuns.

Brand and Kassadin are AP carries. That means they will most often be found in the mid lane. If you play in the mid lane, try to last hit, harass a bit, and if you get a kill, go help someone in the top or bot lanes.

The best cure for suckiness is experience, but I tried to help you a bit with the start. Hope this helped.

Did I help you? Do you feel nice today? Take a look at my guide,I would really appreciate it.

Keondre
<Member>
Keondre's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2012 5:27am | Report
^ he said it all.
사랑은 장님이다. | ความงามในความแข็งแรง. | 愛は治療です.
ajscirica
<Member>
ajscirica's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2012 8:40am | Report
Xenotechie wrote:

First off, welcome to Mobafire!

Don't be discouraged by your failures. If necessary, set up a custom game with all bots. Don't be too agressive either. In the early game, try to last hit minions. That means hit them just as they are about to die, so you get the gold from the kill. Don't try to be too aggressive, at least without the support of your lane partner.

As for summoner spells, Revive sucks. Never pick it unless you are some kind of a tank, and Ashe is not one.

Speaking of her, she is a carry. That means her weak point is the early game, but if she gets through that, she carries your team to victory. Play her safe, try to get a kill if reasonable, but don't overcommit. Keep her slow off while you are killing minions, and use her Volley to harass and discourage the enemy from attacking.

You mentioned getting slowed and stunned. That is kinda necessary unless you want to read up on every champion in the game. If you know your enemy, you will be able to avoid their slows and stuns.

Brand and Kassadin are AP carries. That means they will most often be found in the mid lane. If you play in the mid lane, try to last hit, harass a bit, and if you get a kill, go help someone in the top or bot lanes.

The best cure for suckiness is experience, but I tried to help you a bit with the start. Hope this helped.

Thank you so much. So that means, when choosing what items to buy:
Ashe: Buy attack speed, damage, and armor?
Brand and Kassadin: Buy AP items and mana regen items?

Also:
Ashe: Top lane
Brand and Kassadin: Mid lane, but kill=support top or bottom for a minute?

Any other tips anyone can give me? I think my mistake as Brand and Kassadin was that I ALWAYS bought damage and attack speed items when I shouldn't have, and I was attacking minions and chasing enemy champions when I didn't really have a chance. Thanks again by the way.

EDIT: By the way, is there a way to get Riot Points besides buying them? I'd like to buy Ashe... Other than that, I just have to win games and such and get the other type of points, right?
Xenotechie
<Guide Critic>
Xenotechie's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2012 9:07am | Report
ajscirica wrote:

Thank you so much. So that means, when choosing what items to buy:
Ashe: Buy attack speed, damage, and armor?
Brand and Kassadin: Buy AP items and mana regen items?

Also:
Ashe: Top lane
Brand and Kassadin: Mid lane, but kill=support top or bottom for a minute?

Any other tips anyone can give me? I think my mistake as Brand and Kassadin was that I ALWAYS bought damage and attack speed items when I shouldn't have, and I was attacking minions and chasing enemy champions when I didn't really have a chance. Thanks again by the way.

EDIT: By the way, is there a way to get Riot Points besides buying them? I'd like to buy Ashe... Other than that, I just have to win games and such and get the other type of points, right?

Can't really help you with the builds, the guides are there for that. Most guides have several options for builds. I forgot to mention you should always try to avoid using the recommended items LoL gives, some of them are just plain wrong.

As for laning, Ashe and other carries go to bot lane in the current metagame. The metagame is a tanky DPS champion at top, AP caster mid, jungler in the jungle (don't worry about those too much for now) and carry + support bot, but don't worry about that too much before summoner level 20 or so.

You got that about Brand and Kassadin right. If you have enough health, you can either free farm mid, or, more often, you can gank (that is, try to kill) top or bottom laners.

When you build those two, you need to build AP items. This is not DOTA, there is the regular damage here, aka AD, and then there is AP, whose main purpose is to allow casters to scale off into late-game.

Oh, yeah, as for riot points, there is a few ways to get them free, but only a few. Try to avoid anyone saying Free RP here or stuff like that. Riot occasionally gives our RP for free, for example, I got 400RP free this winter for... something, can't remember what. You can also get RP if you refer a lot of people into the game, check this for details.

Anyhow, try to avoid using RP to buy champions, unless they cost 6300 IP. Ashe is a very cheap champion, you only need 450 IP. Here's a good guide for those 5 roles I mentioned earlier.

For a final tip, read guides! The good ones have gameplay explanations, I.E. how to play a champion. Think the top ranked Ashe one has a really good one.

EDIT: You should set your in game name and region in your profile settings, makes it easier for people to play with you.

Did I help you? Do you feel nice today? Take a look at my guide,I would really appreciate it.

The Overmyynd
<Editor>
The Overmyynd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2012 9:10am | Report
OK, here are a few basic builds for AD and AP carries that you should try out and maybe stick with for awhile until you get the hang of things.

AD:
Berserker's Greaves
Phantom Dancer
Bloodthirster
Infinity Edge
Frozen Mallet
Guardian Angel

AP:
Sorcerer's Shoes
Athene's Unholy Grail
Rod of Ages
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
Rabadon's Deathcap
Guardian Angel

Ashe runs bottom lane with a support, such as Soraka, Alistar, or Taric. They generally (but don't always) have heal spells that can help you stay in lane longer.

No, there is no way to get Riot points except to buy them. You can get anything in the game except for skins with Influence Points, and that is how most of us buy the majority of our stuff.

If you want, you can go to top or bot lane if you get a kill (while playing mid), or if they are doing well/are pushed to the enemy's turret, i wouldnt worry about it. You would be better off staying where you are and getting free farm.

Always buy boots. Always. Never thought i would have to say this, but i watched a 3v3 match of a mentee of mine, and only half the people in game actually had them at 30 minutes in. DONT just buy bits and pieces of stuff that look useful, get a plan and buy items that lead into bigger items that you want. The larger items will always have effects or boosts that make buying them extremely worth it.

If you are on the NA server, i would be more than happy to become a resource for you in game. Feel free to add me, my IGN is The Overmynd.

Hope this helped XD

Edit: No way to ACTIVELY get Riot points, except through refer-a-friend i guess. Sometimes they get squirrley and just hand em out for some obtuse reason or another, but more often its stuff like ip boosters. W/e, its not a real reliable way to get Riot points.
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
The LZ
<Member>
The LZ's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2012 1:41pm | Report
Hiya, welcome to Mobafire ^^

First off, to further help yourself get help,
go to the gears icon in the top right corner of
the screen and click on Edit Profile. From there,
you can, via some tabs, add which region you play
on, as well as your IGN (In-Game Name). This will
make that information show on each post you make,
automatically.

I already answered in length how to become a better
player generally, in a different thread, so I'm just
going to paste that.

The LZ wrote:

Okay, ze list !

1 - Get familiar with ALL champions. That means trying out
champs you haven't tried, each week when they're free, at least
1-2 times. Both so you can sense their timings, use of abilities
and how much their abilities might scale with AD and AP for example.

2 - Watch streams and other videos. Many times, there will be direct
links to streams of some popular streamers, in the LoL client. If not,
sites like youtube and own3D.tv are good sources. There you can watch
how people make good, as well as bad plays and see if you can take
something away from it. For example, one mistake many beginners make,
is that once they get saved by an ally and survive with low health, walk
back to the enemy for one reason or another and end up dying for it.
You may notice that you do this, when you see someone not do it in a
video.

3 - Keep up to date on patches, by viewing the patch notes. Again, these
notes are linked to in the client, when they're out. They're important because
they can mean that an important ability on your favourits champion, now has
a longer CD (Cool Down). Or that someones damage has been nerfed, thus you
can afford to play more aggressively against them perhaps or what have you.

4 - Joining Mobafire in houses is also a way to get better. You can receive
critism from fellow players on your performance, depending on which inhouse you
join. This is useful because you can't always see your own mistakes.

5 - Heading over the Mentoring forum and making a new topic, can land you a mentor.
This is useful, because you might have a lot of unanswered questions. Plus, you'll
get someone who might be quite a skilled player too, meaning there's room for you to
learn from them.

6 - Creating custom games for yourself, where you practice basic things such as
last hitting minions, warding and/or communicating can be great too. Last hitting
is especially important and can be done alone too. In higher level play, getting
proper farm is important, since you can't count on getting early or many kills.
When it comes to last hitting, as you get better, set goals for yourself. For example,
try to get 200 last hits by 20 min. First in a custom, perhaps versus a friend
or bot and then in a real game.

7 - Following a guide or three, can equally also be a good way of learning.
Even if you think you know a champion well, reading up on a guide about that champion,
can still yield some tips and/or advice. Plus you'll be exposed to different reasoning,
as to why you build a champion one way or another. For example, many beginners like to
build mages like glass canons (very strong, yet very squishy too) and that is one way
of doing it. Yet, in many guides, a balance is often tried to be found, meaning that
one or more defensive items will also be included in the build.

8 - Follow one of the (many) threads on Mobafire or elsewhere, of people on their journey
to a specific ELO. In these threads, games are often broken down by the OP (Opening Poster)
and as such lets you get insight into the thoughts of players more experienced than you
potentially. It also lets you see some builds of other champs, perhaps at high ELO play,
via screenshots.

9 - If you go unto the official league of legends website, you can find tips and tricks
ranging from beginner to advanced. In this forum, concepts will be mentioned, concepts
like zoning. Get to know all of these concepts and learn to apply them in your games.

10 - Experiment with the champs you have. Try different masteries than is the norm, try
different runes too and item builds. Maybe you'll find interesting builds and/or combos
you can use to your advantage. Plus, even if you don't, it can not only be very fun, but
you might find an alternative way to play, that can surprise your opponents.

11 - Get together with friends and think up interesting lane combinations. Even if the
combination is a very much known one, such as Vayne + Blitzcrank, it's still good to learn
how to work together with a teammate, as it IS a team game. Also, knowing how different champions
abilities synchronize, can help you create interesting and good team compositions.

12 - Be positive and communicate with your team; even in the pre-game lobby. If you play draft
mode for example and you end up as Captain, don't be silent and just ban who you wish
all the time. It might carry over to ranked games and that just plain sucks. Because maybe you
wanted that Darius banned, but instead someone else gets banned. Or maybe you didn't want
that Vayne banned, but she got banned. This can be detrimental to your team. However, if
someone is just impossible to reason with and it's really neccesary, instead of flaming,
hold down TAB and click the blue speech icon outside the offenders name, in order to mute them
and end things there. At least it'll help one of you focus on the game.

13 - Ward your lane. Many people think it's only up to the support, but when you recall, if
you have that spare 75 gold, it doesn't hurt an awful lot to pick up a ward too, to help keep
your collective map awareness up. In addition to this, learn some of the best ward placements
and get into the habit of robbing your enemy of their own wards, through the use of oracles
or vision wards. If you have a jungler, remember to tell them your lane has been warded, if you
saw it. If you don't, don't rage when the gank fails.

14 - Towers matter. I see this all too often, that my team doesn't push enough towers, despite
sometimes even being in the lead, in terms of kills. Towers win games. You can have 99 kills
and still lose if you lose all your towers and thus eventually your Nexus. Of course, it IS
more challenging if you're fed or if your opponents are, to take towers. But there's different
tactics for taking down towers and you should get familiar with them. Such as the split push,
wherein some teammates go mid for instance, while you push top with an ally. Downed towers provide
your team with gold too, which is not unimportant.

15 - Secure buffs and objectives and help your team. Killing dragon whenever its up can really
boost your team and sharing that red buff with your AD carry, instead of taking it yourself, can
likewise also make a big difference. Plus, it can also help raise morale, which means people
wont say "surrender 20".

16 - If you go to custom games and click "join" a lot of games will show up. Well, in the
top right corner, there's a great search bar. If you input "mid" or "ARAM" you'll find some
fun game modes on the map called Proving Grounds. This gamemode typically features a random
champion selection, meaning you'll get a random champion. That alone, can force you into playing
champs you have, which you might not be so good at, or initially like. ARAM stands for All
Random All Mid by the way and is a great gamemode.

17 - Using software like Fraps and lolrecorder, you can record your own games, for later scrutiny.
That can be invaluable to your game, for many reasons. Like some, you can then share it on sites
like this, to get other peoples opinions.

18 - Generally, try set goals for yourself. If you die a lot, try set a goal of dying less.
Many high ELO players die very very few times in each match, which is one way of contributing to
you winning.

19 - Don't go too long without playing. Many of the best players play all the time. Some people
are even full time gamers, so they naturally get a lot of practice in. Even if you don't think
normal games do much for you, they can, if you think more carefully about how you did in game
and can play successive games to see if you can do different/better.

20 - Join a clan/guild. These organisations can often help you get better, by virtue of having
members you can befriend and play with, as well as learn from and talk to. Playing a 5 man
premade, using VoIP is also worlds away from just playing solo Q by yourself.

Good luck ;)

If you play on EUW (EU West) then I'd gladly
be your mentor if you wish, as would plenty others.
Good luck ! :)
"(Btw LZ, I read all of your posts like a poem because your paragraphs look like stanzas. It's rather amusing. :P)" - PsiGuard
"^ya same
why you write like that" - wRAthoFVuLK
"Why DO you write like that?" - Amazing Monkey
"Why do you write like that LZ?" - iownedya
"no-one knows, but it is unique.
An artist originalising his work,
per say. Yet what have I done,
I have copied his work.
It's probably wrong too, but lolz. Keep at it LZ, since it makes reading your posts interesting." - ShiftyCake
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2012 1:48pm | Report

I'd probably go for Abyssal Mask over Rod of Ages. You already get hp from rylai's and mana sustain from athene's. RoA is a bit overkill. Abyssal gives a bit more mPen at least.
Thanks to Fatelblade for the sig!
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2012 5:22pm | Report
Only reason i put ROA as a suggestion is because he is new and will likely not know how to position himself properly to avoid getting caught out of position and nailed. Extra health will help him get out of sticky situations. And Mpen probably wont be necessary, as people his level don't know how to reactively build to counter a strong AP while still staying a viable damage dealer. Now if he was asking for a 1300 ELO AP carry item list, absolutely get abyssal. Just trying to make a survivable, yet decent damage dealing build for a new player :)
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2012 5:23pm | Report
Oh, and that list LZ gave is a great one, you would do very well to take it to heart <3
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide