Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Which order should I learn these champions in?

Creator: Buranri April 17, 2012 5:56pm
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 7:27pm | Report
I didn't read any of the previous comments, so excuse me if I repeat anything. All of the below relates directly to Summoner's Rift, no other maps.

--- Role ---
It's hard to dictate the role which is of the most importance in a game. Each role has a place, and a good player can play each role (or at least a few of them) competently.

Support: Very important role. This will teach you map awareness, how to ward effectively, how to track the jungler and how to protect your ally.
AD Carry: Will teach you how to last hit, how to position yourself in a teamfight and will give you an idea of how much damage can be traded between AD carries.
AP Carry: Will teach you mana conservation, the usefulness of summoner spells (Ignite, Exhaust, Teleport, Flash), the importance of dragon control/map awareness.
Solo Top (tanky): Teach you how to soak damage, as well as deal it, will show you how to effectively 1v1.
Jungler: Possible the most important role. Instills fear in the enemy, will teach you all about levelling via experience gain, will teach you about buffs, ganking, juking, stealing enemy jungle.

--- Don't Play ---
Kat: too easily countered
Blitz: no place in current meta
Master Yi: better melee AD via other champions
Nunu: no place in current meta
Poppy: no place in current meta
Heim: better AP casters
AP Sion: falls off late game
Twitch: invis rework will change his kit

--- Learn to Play ---
Amumu: good jungler
Anivia: high skill cap
Ashe: Frost Shot late game wins games
Corki: good AD
Mundo: fast jungler
Gangplank: decent solo top and jungler
Singed: good solo top
Soraka: great support
Taric: aggressive support
Ziggs: great mid
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 7:36pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

--- Don't Play ---

I disagree with all of this. Also, if he isn't even level 30, I don't think high elo viability is really an issue.

Btw Blitzcrank is a support and I've seen him in solo lanes before (in pro streams), Nunu is a STELLAR support and a great utility jungler (though not the best), Poppy is underrated and a decent solo top, and AP Sion is used in both top and mid lanes at the professional level. Pretty sure there were even some in the recent tournament.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 7:39pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

I didn't read any of the previous comments, so excuse me if I repeat anything. All of the below relates directly to Summoner's Rift, no other maps.

--- Role ---
It's hard to dictate the role which is of the most importance in a game. Each role has a place, and a good player can play each role (or at least a few of them) competently.

Support: Very important role. This will teach you map awareness, how to ward effectively, how to track the jungler and how to protect your ally.
AD Carry: Will teach you how to last hit, how to position yourself in a teamfight and will give you an idea of how much damage can be traded between AD carries.
AP Carry: Will teach you mana conservation, the usefulness of summoner spells (Ignite, Exhaust, Teleport, Flash), the importance of dragon control/map awareness.
Solo Top (tanky): Teach you how to soak damage, as well as deal it, will show you how to effectively 1v1.
Jungler: Possible the most important role. Instills fear in the enemy, will teach you all about levelling via experience gain, will teach you about buffs, ganking, juking, stealing enemy jungle.

--- Don't Play ---
Kat: too easily countered
Master Yi: better melee AD via other champions
Heim: better AP casters
Twitch: invis rework will change his kit

--- Learn to Play ---
Amumu: good jungler
Anivia: high skill cap
Ashe: Frost Shot late game wins games
Corki: good AD
Mundo: fast jungler
Gangplank: decent solo top and jungler
Singed: good solo top
Soraka: great support
Taric: aggressive support
Ziggs: great mid

I have to disagree a bit on this list.

With them not being level 30, most of the champs are viable in any scenario.
Amumu is always good, especially pre-30 because people tend to clump up for your ult. Although, a bit hard to use without runes or masteries.
Nunu is a great jungler and can be a decent support in premades. Same with Blitz. Only not the jungler bit.
AP Sion is good early game and if you farm well and roam enough, you can get an early win. If you don't roam enough but you farm amazingly, you can buy an AS item or two and get Atmas for the AD boost.

Pre-30, mundo's jungle route is terribly risky and even at 30 he gets way low.

Like AP Sion, Kat snowballs games real quick but, like Jhoi said, she's countered by CC. It doesn't mean you can't play smart and do well with her.
True love is found only in yourself.
DaDaDaKroon
<Member>
DaDaDaKroon's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 7:42pm | Report
U could play gangplank on 2 way's Jungler or Solo top i prefer solo top very easy to learn but is very good champ for solo top.
Soraka the only support that give's mana so hell yeh Soraka hella good support !
Udyr is quiet good jungler but very hard to get known.
Veigar also very good mid laner. It's like an copy of Annie.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 7:44pm | Report
Blitz: I know he's considered a support, but he has no place in the current meta of sustain support. No serious support would play Blitz over Soraka. Perhaps pre-30 it would be fine.
Amumu: He listed he wanted to learn him, which is why I slotted him into jungle.
Nunu: Read Blitz.
AP Sion: As I said, falls off late game.

Jungling pre-30: I said it was an important role to learn, as it teaches a whole lot more than AP mid or solo top. And no, I'd say it's not risky. Played on my sister's legitimate account of level 6. There were junglers. Smurf or no, they contributed highly to the game. Telling someone not to jungle until they're level 30 is a sure way to ensure they won't understand the importance of map awareness/buff/dragon/baron control.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 7:47pm | Report
You really ought to watch more pro streams or something, Jai. Nunu is a very common support. Blitz isn't unheard of either. Sion is a pretty common pick for solo lanes too.

Need I remind you that Janna was seen in almost every single game at iem hannover? She's not a sustain support either.

@Lugi: I played jungle mundo on my level 4 eu smurf. The first clear is atrocious, but after a couple items and level 6, it's just like any other mundo jungle. You just have to delay your buffs a bit and/or get a leash.

EDIT: Yazuki is playing support Leona right now at 2300 elo.
Thanks to Lugignaf for the sig!
DaDaDaKroon
<Member>
DaDaDaKroon's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 7:49pm | Report
Psi nunu was allot played by Xspecial tough as support and Blitz i really never saw someone playing Blitz support once :/ Could be good but im not confident about it
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 7:51pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Jungling pre-30: I said it was an important role to learn, as it teaches a whole lot more than AP mid or solo top. And no, I'd say it's not risky. Played on my sister's legitimate account of level 6. There were junglers. Smurf or no, they contributed highly to the game. Telling someone not to jungle until they're level 30 is a sure way to ensure they won't understand the importance of map awareness/buff/dragon/baron control.

I never said not to jungle pre-30. All I said was it was a bit harder.

Also, didn't know that Psi. All I knew was that jungle mundo is fast and gets low. I don't tend to watch the junglers other than on the map nor do I jungle mundo so, I had no idea it was possible pre-30.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 7:52pm | Report
I'll say that Blitz is a bit of a niche pick at best. In most cases, pro players are able to play safe enough to render him much less useful than he is against a team that makes a lot of mistakes.

Nunu is simply a stellar support period. You ought to see a nunu support with Kog or Vayne, their mid game is ridiculous and laning isn't bad either.
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 7:53pm | Report
*shrugs* The above is all my opinion. I would never play Blitz or Nunu over Soraka or Janna. Neither would I play AP Sion over Ahri or Cass.

He didn't ask: "What do the pro's play at 250000 elo because they have 2 ping and computers with liquid cooling", he asked, "Which champions should I learn in this list, and why?"

Blitz & Nunu: Isn't good enough compared to Taric, Janna or Soraka. Why would you want someone playing a subpar champ like Nunu compared to someone with a global save like Soraka?

And, once again (I don't know how many times I bring this up in these sorts of arguments): PROS ARE NOT GODS. They make plenty of mistakes and sometimes their choices are completely questionable. You can watch their streams all you like. Just a few things I remember from watching recent streams:

- Westrice afk in fountain after he gave FB top as Irelia
- Dyrus FEEDING as Blitz
- Saint Vicious initiating as Shyvanna, 1v5

Of course there are other awesome things like:

- Doublift getting a Vayne penta
- Hotshot GG juking as Akali

etc etc etc

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide