Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Kalista, the Spear of Vengeance revealed

Creator: Wayne3100 November 4, 2014 12:51pm
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2014 11:24pm | Report
You can't currently. Rito's justification is "If your support is DC for long enough for this to matter, you've likely lost anyway."
SkidmarkD
<Member>
SkidmarkD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 12:59am | Report
How long before she's seen as a support?
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
HiFromBuddha's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 1:19am | Report
Am I seeing things right, or does her ultimate deal no damage and just knock people up?

Also, the passive is very cool for kiting, but I heard that not being able to animation cancel tremendously reduces her DPS potential.

I'm finding it hard to see her fitting any real niche you would want for a carry. I mean, she's been out for less than one day, and only a fraction can play her, sure, but she seems to no have anything that would be redeeming to have for Solo Q. The passive on W is fantastic for competitive though, 20% max health at max rank is insane.

SkidmarkD wrote:
How long before she's seen as a support?

Eh, probably never. She has some supportive qualities, but a lot of her kit very much is targeted for ADC. There's not enough she has over other supports to justify it.

Thank you to MissMaw for the signatures!
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 6:34am | Report
That's right, her ult has no damage.

Also interesting to see you here and not on SmiteFire :P

SkidmarkD
<Member>
SkidmarkD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 7:28am | Report
Tbh, when I read about her kit, my initial thought was: oh great, another support.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 11:29am | Report
Won't that passive interfere with your own mechanics? I'm not sure if it'll be a great thing or a "grr that's not what I wanted to do" thing.

As a former support main I'd never trust my body and soul to a random marksman xD
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Last Plagas
<Member>
Last Plagas's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 11:51am | Report
She looks underwhelming.

First of all, her range. Range dictates a lot of how ADC plays (be it their laning phase or lategame teamfights). She's a low range adc, standing at 550. Low range ad carries rely heavily on either steroids or escape mechanisms. That's because they are always close to the fray and need some way to deal with enemy frontline.

Let's take a look at some of the low range ad carries.

Lucian - Lightslinger is one of the best steroids in the game, Ardent Blaze gives him a bunch of movement speed and if you utilize your passive well, his Relentless Pursuit comes off cooldown very quickly and makes him hard to catch.

Graves - Quickdraw is very similar to Lucian's E, but it also gives him attack speed. His True Grit makes him very tanky, Smoke Screen is one of the best isolation tools in the game and his other two abilities deal more damage, the closer enemy is to him.

Vayne - 2,5 steroids, a lot of movement speed, stealth, quick dodge move and a knockback. While her kit is very hard to utilize, she definetly has the tools to fulfill her role in the team.

That's obviously not all of them, but the rest usually go the same way.

Now what does Kalista have? No steroids, unless we count her E stacking, but if Vayne and Varus stacks cap at 3, her cap is infinite. While it sounds good on paper, in teamfights you really don't get to just stand and AA your target (unless you have a big AA range). And while I don't know the exact number 3 spears would do, I doubt it would be more than Vayne's true damage.

Her passive serves as her escape and chasing ability and it does look pretty good, however, because of the nature of it, I would imagine that attack speed slows wreck you even more. Now, there aren't a lot of AS slowing champions, but getting exhausted would hurt even more than usual. But all in all it seems like a fun passive with a lot of outplay potential and a big learning curve (utilizing it after having your attack speed items seems very hard). It almost reminds me of Draven's axe catching mechanic.

Her Q is boring as hell. It's a Nidalee spear with big AD scaling and a pretty noticable mana cost at lvl 1. Probably gonna serve as her lategame poking ability.

W and R is where it kinda goes ***-backwards. Let me explain.

W is a pretty good burst of damage and it will work great with any ranged support, but because of the nature of your R, you can't use it with your ranged support. Her R throws your soul-friend at the enemy (well, they throw themselves at the enemy, but whatever) and while in lane throwing a Sona would maybe work, in lategame teamfights the support is just gonna die. The only ranged supports that it would work with are Thresh (even then, he's much better at peeling than straight up initiation) and Morgana if she has her Zhonya's Hourglass completed.

What about melee supports? Some of them work, and some don't.

Leona is gonna be fine with it because she's usually either a main or a secondary engage in the team.

Blitzcrank will be fine in lane, but throwing him around would only work as a secondary engage, because if you try to initate with it, he looses utility of his Q and he is not as tanky as other melee supports.

Alistar is probably the one that's gonna work wonders. He's insanely tanky and giving him another blink to set up his Q is huge.

While Braum has tools to survive a throw he's a lot better as a defensive support or a secondary initiation. In lane because of the nature of his passive, he will do fine.

So, do you not lane her with ranged supports? Or you do and make a pact with your jungler or a top laner? Then not only do you not have W in lane, but your level 6 suffers, unless you can orchestrate a gank with your soulbound teammate. Also her R apparently doesn't deal damage, which is pretty bad for all-in ability.

I also forgot to mention the active portion of her W which sends out spooky ghosts and while it's a nice bit of utility, all AD carries take blue trinket during midgame, which does the same thing, but from much greater range.

One other random thing I've noticed is that she has the highest base hp at lvl 1 in the game, standing at 600, which is ridiculous for ADC. Highest hp before her belonged to Gangplank at 576 and highest from ad carry pool is Miss Fortune with 520 at lvl 1. Is it gonna help her survive her abismal laning phase? I dunno.

Last gripe I have with her is her visual design. While it's a matter of taste, she looks uninspiring. Her bloodmoon skin is really amazing though and I wish it was her base.

I honestly don't see her doing much in the laning phase or in teamfights. Her dueling looks abismal and the only thing she has going for her is her passive. Time will obviously tell, but for now she doesn't seem really useful. Probably very fun to play though.
Every time you succeed, I bleed a little.
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
HiFromBuddha's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 1:04pm | Report
Nighthawk wrote:
That's right, her ult has no damage.

Also interesting to see you here and not on SmiteFire :P

Sm-Sm-Sm-SmiteFire? I-I have no idea what you are talking about *glances left**glances right.

Thank you to MissMaw for the signatures!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 1:13pm | Report
550 isn't low range, it's average.
Last Plagas
<Member>
Last Plagas's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2014 1:33pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:
550 isn't low range, it's average.

It being average doesn't make it any higher.
Every time you succeed, I bleed a little.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide