Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

MOBAFire sponsors student team for a good cause!

Creator: virago March 23, 2012 12:41am

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

virago
<Member>
virago's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2012 12:41am | Report

Just over a month ago we were contacted by a Sophomore at Virginia Tech by the name of Andy who is studying Computer Science and Mathematics and of course spends much of his spare time on the battlefield.

Andy and his colleagues (team members) all belong to the AASU (Asian American Student Union) and GGVT (Gamers Group of Virgina Tech) and through a joint venture between these two organizations, organized a week long League of Legends tournament where only students of the University were invited to participate.

Quoted:

My name’s Andy Hsu and I am currently a sophomore at Virginia Tech studying Computer Science with a minor in Mathematics. Starting on Monday, March 12th my friends and I will be entering our university’s League of Legends week-long tournament, dubbed appropriately as the League of Hokies tournament. It is a joint tournament being held by the Virginia Tech Asian American Student Union (AASU) and Gamer’s Group at Virginia Tech (GGVT). The tournament itself is for students attending Virginia Tech only, however many teams have surfaced on campus due to the popularity of League of Legends on our campus. All of the tournament’s proceeds go towards the top three team’s charity of choice, so it has sprung forth a lot of participation by even newcomers to the game for such a great cause.

MOBAFire has graciously taken up my team, WreQrew (pronounced wreck crew), and become our primary sponsor for this tournament. They have also agreed to drop an additional $250 to the tournament winner’s charity on top of the winnings. This means a great deal for us for this event marks the breakthrough of multiple firsts for our campus. It will be the first joint charity tournament held by AASU and GGVT, as well as our team being the first sponsored gaming team on campus and first sponsored gaming event. We are very grateful for MOBAFire extending their resources to us and making this event an even larger success than we could ever hope for.

Hundreds of students came to watch and cheer for their favorites as the tournament progressed from 9 teams until the winning team: VT DFOP (Summoners: Furyn, Rekeri, Tiumus, Reed07 and IAmTheLemon) were crowned victorious. The guys were proud to contribute their donations to their favorite charity "Sharsheret", a national not-for-profit organization bringing support to young women and their families, facing breast cancer.

We are equally honored to contribute to this cause and are extremely proud of WreQrew for achieving 2nd place overall.

Congratulations to Andy and Team WreQrew for your entrepreneurial spirit and your philanthropic endeavor. Thank you for inviting MOBAFire to be a part of this story. Great job guys!
Thank you to our Veteran member jhoijhoi for this signature
Scrax
<Retired Moderator>
Scrax's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2012 4:18am | Report
Wow, this is great! I'm glad MOBAFire is picking up sponsoring, specially for those who actually need it. Hope to see more like this in the future :)
Turbo Punz
<Member>
Turbo Punz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 30, 2012 9:15am | Report
Hopefully MOBAFIRE will continue to sponsor more teams, LIKE ME :P

Sexy General Odd-Bro is Sexy

+Rep me if you found anything helpful from me

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the beautiful signaures

IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 30, 2012 10:23am | Report
Great news =)

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 30, 2012 10:52am | Report
Great news, MOBAFire is so good for giving back to the community, and I love you guys for it <3
Keishun
<Member>
Keishun's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 31, 2012 12:13am | Report
Hey this is Andy Hsu, the student that was mentioned in the article above. I just wanted to say once again that I really appreciate the gesture that MOBAFire has done in supporting both our team and our charity tournament a few weeks ago. It definitely goes without saying that support from websites such as these really helps us fight for a good cause and we definitely hope to continue to work with MOBAFire in the future.
CasterMaster
<Veteran>
CasterMaster's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 31, 2012 12:17am | Report
Congratulations! =D

My Elise Guide | My Kassadin Guide
Thanks to jhoijhoi, albableat, Arcana3, GMD and I for the awesome sigs! im a zombie
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 31, 2012 12:43am | Report
Pretty epic! :)
Yougan
<Member>
Yougan's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 1, 2012 2:33pm | Report
Amusing. ^^

Thanks to jhoijhoi, Brynolf, Jeffy40hands, Samoh, MissMaw, Vavena, Koksei and The-Nameless-Bard for my signs

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide