Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Patch 5.6 Summary

Creator: Wayne3100 March 25, 2015 10:01am
1 2
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2015 10:01am | Report

Hello and welcome to the MOBAFire Patch Summary - 5.6!

Just like last time, Riot has released a very buff-focused patch to help out some of the champions that haven't seen a lot of play during the last couple of months (or longer). There's also room for some nerfs in response to the changes made in patch 5.5, however, specifically regarding tank junglers that benefit from the Cinderhulk enchantment.

Outside of champion changes, this patch was significantly smaller than its predecessor, with only a handful of adjustments to items and game mechanics in Summoner's Rift being added while there is absolutely no mention of any upcoming skins. Because of this, it should come as no surprise to you that this summary will also be pretty champion-focused, so let's delve right in!

Champion Changes

WTF DID THEY DO TO MY CHAMPION?!
quick access for concerned players

+
-
+
-
Aatrox
Amumu
Annie
Bard
Cassiopeia
+
+
+
-
-
Elise
Evelynn
Galio
Irelia
Katarina
+
-
+
+
Karthus
Leblanc
Lux
Nocturne
Quinn
+
+
-
+
-
Rammus
Ryze
Sejuani
Singed
Sion
+
+
+
+
+
Twitch
Veigar
Vel'Koz
Yorick
Ziggs
+

Zilean

! = Rework* = Bugfix(es) and/or display changes only+ = Buff- = Nerf~ = Mixed

As previously mentioned, there are still a few nerfs despite the rather large amount of buffs, so in this summary we'll take a quick look at both.

Shortly after his release, it became apparent to Riot that Bard wasn't proving to be quite as impactful as they had initially hoped. To compensate, he has received a buff on Cosmic Binding's damage, a lower cooldown on Magical Journey's and a number of other smaller changes which will hopefully send him on a magical journey towards viability.

Bard definitely isn't the only champion to receive some love, however, as he is only one out of seventeen champions with a green + in front of his name in the table displayed above. Some other examples of changes are Aatrox now filling his Blood Well when auto attacking while his ultimate is active, Evelynn being able to go back to stealth mode much faster in the late game, Elise moving faster in Spider Form and having a higher missile speed on Cocoon, Galio being able to cast Righteous Gust more often, Nocturne's ultimate cooldown going down significantly at early ranks, Ryze receiving a buff on his Overload damage and Veigar's Event Horizon now stopping enemy dashes.

Finally, another rather large set of buffs has been given to Zilean, with his base health, Time Bomb AP ratio and cooldown, Rewind mana cost and cooldown and Time Warp mana cost all being improved. Only time will tell how effective all these (mostly minor) buffs to so many champions will prove to be (get it?).

Unfortunately, a coin always has two sides to it, and flipping the one which has patch 5.6's name on it will show us that Riot also decided to nerf a few champions that were deemed too strong.

The two main victims of this are Sejuani & Sion, with both of them being tuned down to compensate for how strong the Cinderhulk enchantment that was added last patch made them.

Now, Sejuani will deal less initial damage to camps and champions with her Flail of the Northern Winds and she'll also be punished a lot more for missing her Glacial Prison, with the slow of the ability going down significantly.

Meanwhile, Sion's damage output on Decimating Smash (in the jungle) and Roar of the Slayer (passthrough bonus) has also been reduced, shifting the reason for him being useful a little more to his durability / crowd control instead of his damage.

Finally, two other nerfs that are worth mentioning are Irelia losing damage on her Equilibrium Strike and Katarina having lower base health and health regen to - as Riot phrases it - give her opponents "a better window of vulnerability to exploit".

Item & SR Adjustments

There's not a lot to talk about here, so we'll keep it short. Athene's Unholy Grail's stats have been buffed so the item can compete with Morellonomicon, the vision granted by killing the Rift Scuttler has been reduced significantly, jungle camps now grant more experience at higher levels and the champion select music has been changed in both blind and draft pick. That's... pretty much all that's worth noting.

Skins?

Although - as previously stated - the patch notes make no mention of any skins being added in patch 5.6, the splash art below was added to the game files and combines Urf the Nami-Tee, Definitely Not Udyr, Archduke Nasus, Surprise Party Amumu and Order of the Banana Soraka in one image. Despite there being a decent chance that this file was only added for a future release, we felt it was worth sharing anyway as it should at least give you guys some content to look forward to.

More details to follow soonTM!

Share Your Thoughts!

And that's it for this summary! Hopefully, you are now fully up to speed regarding all changes and ready to hop right back into some Summoner's Rift action. If you feel like you still need more info instead, make sure to check out the full patch notes and leave your thoughts on all changes below!

For example, which of the champions buffed in this patch do you look most forward to playing? Also, do you feel any of the buffed champions are in danger of becoming too strong, or that Riot forgot about other champions that also needed some love? Finally, do you agree with the nerfs that were handed out or do you think Riot was being too harsh? Let us know!

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
emoriam
<Veteran>
emoriam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2015 10:05am | Report
Who's there? Quin who? VALOR!

Seriously tho, nice post and I guess many people appreciate the nerfs to Kata
Thanks to Emikadon for this sig!
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2015 10:08am | Report
yay ryze buffs
Thanks to IPodPulse for this <3^
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2015 10:23am | Report
I really like the layout in these patch note threads. Good job with the post.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2015 10:53am | Report
Being a Sion player I'm not so keen on the damage nerf to Roar of the Slayer, but it is probably needed as you could easily bully squishies out of lane with it.

Kind of excited about the cool down reduction on Paranoia as the way games were playing out it seemed like you could only get one or two ganks in with it before laning phase was over, then it was diving the backline and hoping the lanes you hadn't ganked for were strong enough to follow you into the fray.
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2015 11:31am | Report
I wonder what the point of lowering Magical Journey's CD is. Still it's nice to see him get some buffs, I thought he was pretty fun in the one game I played. I think his AA range or Q range should be increased, cuz without those things he's not gonna be able to poke well still.

by jhoijhoi
Foxy Riven
<Editor>
Foxy Riven's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2015 11:36am | Report
I never thought I would live to see Sejuani getting nerfed
Thanks Emikadon for the sig!
(Check out my guides, they're linked to their pictures!)

If I helped you in any way, that +REP is always nice^^
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2015 11:43am | Report
You linked the patch 5.5 notes just btw
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2015 12:03pm | Report
The grail buffs were excessive... Pretty sure it's gonna be fotm over nomicon now
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2015 12:07pm | Report
utopus wrote:
You linked the patch 5.5 notes just btw
Oops, fixed.

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions: