Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Updates to Items, Abilities, and Other Database...

Creator: Mowen June 26, 2017 3:38pm
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2017 3:38pm | Report
Item Browser

New Look, Accessible Filters

Our updated Items database page has been redesigned to be more easily navigated. Whether you're checking up on a particular item or browsing for build ideas, the new items page has got you covered.

Switch between item filters with a single click! All the filters are on one screen with no drop-downs, making it faster and easier to find what you're looking for. The new item filters and tags mimic the categories from the in-game shop to make it intuitive as possible. They're also organized by color!

Smooth Searching

All of the new search functions use ajax filtering, so you won't have to reload the page to see the results of your search. Relevant results will appear as you type so you can find what you're looking for quickly and easily. Remember, this function is available on all the new database pages!

Choose Your View

Just like with our Champions page update, all the new browse pages have multiple view options for you to choose from. We'll even remember your preferred view in a cookie, so that next time you visit this page you'll see your favorite view.

Ability Browser

New Look, Search-By-Champion

The Abilities page should be much easier to navigate now with two new search bars and an updated aesthetic. Search for individual ability names, or search for a champion to see which abilities belong to them.

Just like with other database pages, you can choose to browse using a List view or a Tile view, and we'll remember your preference when you come back! In the Tile view above, you can see a champion icon in the corner of each ability tile, so you'll know at a glance which ability belongs to whom.

The layout for the View page has been updated as well! You can easily see the stats and tooltip of the ability as well as the champion it belongs to. Other abilities from the same champion can easily be accessed by clicking on one of the icons on the right.

Runes, Masteries and Summoner Spells

New Look, Easy Browsing

Runes, Masteries and Summoner Spells are all crucial to success in a game of League. Use our updated database pages to browse, experiment and master your pre-game setup. Mastery and Rune calculators have been moved to dedicated pages with links on the browse pages so you can immediately see the databases.

The layout for individual rune, mastery and summoner spell pages has also been updated. On rune pages, you'll also see a few related runes for quick navigation or comparisons.

We hope you find these database updates useful! As always, please leave any feedback or suggestions in this thread, we'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas. :)
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
FatelBlade
<Member>
FatelBlade's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2017 8:34pm | Report
All this time and effort spent to make the outside better, but have you guys upgrading the internal system so that editors can do their work without having to deal with a unwieldy system?
Thank you Jovy for this bomb *** sig!
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2017 8:35pm | Report
Do you have any specific suggestions for improvements to the Editor tools? Any particularly difficult areas or ideas for things to add?
Thanks to Minho for the sig!
FatelBlade
<Member>
FatelBlade's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2017 9:24pm | Report
The biggest problem is the fact that everything is done in a text box. The entire ability has to be written out in a text box, including the scaling. The only boxes that exist are for CDs, and those are bare bones. There;s also the fact that for champion basic stats, you have to do the scaling math and input starting and ending values. You should be able to enter the values at the start, and the growth stat (in the format riot provides them) and the rest should be automatic, allowing you to view a champions stats at different points in the game.
Thank you Jovy for this bomb *** sig!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2017 11:24pm | Report
Very cool! But what will happen when the new rune/mastery system comes in? Will all this work be for naught? I really like the colour coding of the items too :)
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Janitsu ♡
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2017 11:41pm | Report
@ FatelBlade Tooltips can be tricky since there are so many wildly different abilities. I think the only improvement I can think of would be to move the damage (or healing/shielding or w/e) numbers outside of the description, like LoLWiki's setup. They would have to be manually filled in for every entry though which makes me feel that it wouldn't be worth it.

I like your ideas about champion base stats. It would still take a lot of work to switch everything to a new system (and that system would have to be set up first by the devs), but it's a lot easier to manage 134 champions compared to all the other database entries we have. I do like how LoLWiki can show you values at different champion levels, 1-18, or just the formula with 'n' as the level. Can't really say if or when this might happen though.

@ jhoijhoi The new runes should be hitting in November, I think late in the month (could be wrong on that last part). We still have 4-5 months left using the current system so I think it's worth keeping up to date until then. When the rework comes we'll have to scrap what we have and build something to support the new pre-game setups though. The new runes sound a lot like the current masteries, so it shouldn't be too difficult of a transition.
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2017 11:57pm | Report
I had another thought... it's awesome that all of this is being updated, but there is no obvious way to get to these places on the front page besides the drop-down menu. To me, if I wanted people to comment on items or masteries or whatever, I'd showcase random item/ability/summoner spell etc in a box and people can click on it to explore.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig unintentional collab with Jovy and me ♡
Lasoor
<Member>
Lasoor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2017 5:35am | Report
Should make the guide editor tool allow you to do the text-box mode or a new mode that lets you draw shapes, text boxes, etc on to the guide page similar to Adobe Dreamweaver. So people who aren't as good at coding and all that can just draw their layout on the screen. I personally would only use this to set up my tables easier.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide