Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

A discussion on reviews and the depiction of...

Creator: Searz August 20, 2013 2:14am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2013 6:51pm | Report
Good job quoting my tldr, Searz :P I did mention in my post that a nice body is a nice body, regardless if male or female, so one can extrapolate that a weird body is a weird body regardless if male or female. My tldr cut down my points to a tldr, as one would expect. As this thread was about the depiction of WOMEN in games, I was replying regarding the WOMEN aspect.

^^
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2013 6:52pm | Report
Searz wrote:

No, oh god no.
This does not simply end well...

It's fine. He won't. You know this as well as I do. That'd be work.

Anyway. Back onto the topic of the video.

Not addressing the male stereotype isn't an issue. Because she isn't talking about it. Yes, male stereotyping is also an issue. But it's a different issue. And it's not this issue. And it's not what we're talking about.

As for counterexamples, Anita mentions that she's talking about pervasive and systematic problems that video games have. So the existence of counterexamples actually doesn't disprove her point. And the small number of counterexamples that even exist actually is her point itself. Plus, she actually does acknowledge a decent number of counterexamples throughout the course of the three videos, which is absolutely nothing compared to the dozens of examples of problematic video games she rattles off.

And as for the idea of Anita being biased... I think we're all misusing the term. Everyone has opinions, and it's completely impossible to write without considering them. Having opinions is only a problem when you ignore evidence that would damage your point because it would damage your point. This is bias, and I don't think we can claim Anita to be guilty of indulging in it. Especially given the paragraph above.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 20, 2013 7:32pm | Report
i dont think cudd forms arguments i think he just posts videos and says "lol look at how dumb this person/group is cuz this video im gonna post later told me to think its dumb"

anyways the unrealisticness of some games is just lame, unless the game is purposely trying to fill the trope for comedic purposes like the giant strong man barbarian that has lines that make him sound stupid or the unrealistic old wizard that shouldnt be on an adventure and the princess that is well, the damsel in distress, but if the guy has huge muscles just to have them and the girl has huge tits for no reason its like...why? to me a game is much more immersive if the people youre playing with/as/against are just physically normal
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 21, 2013 3:58am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Good job quoting my tldr, Searz :P I did mention in my post that a nice body is a nice body, regardless if male or female, so one can extrapolate that a weird body is a weird body regardless if male or female. My tldr cut down my points to a tldr, as one would expect. As this thread was about the depiction of WOMEN in games, I was replying regarding the WOMEN aspect.

I used your comment to make a point.
Don't feel bad, hun' <3

Your comment honestly doesn't make your stance on the male counterpart clear.
Sittin' on chimneys, putting fire up my ***.

"I biked 12km in a blizzard today and mice are chewing on my chocolate bars. Life's good."
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 21, 2013 9:40am | Report
SkidmarkD wrote:

Fourth: The majority of gamers aren't adolescent boys. I doubt they make up even 20% of the martket. It's also a fallacy to say wominz ain't playing games.
But then again, it might just depend on what you considering is a game.

did you examine this fact sheet? i mean...i dunno...i have been playing games a long time with a lot of different people and i don't see how these statistics can be on point. i'm curious how they obtained them also how they define them. also this is a private company that works with game producing companies to promote gaming essentially...i don't see how they could be unbiased in their approach to data collection, but maybe i just think that because i can't accept the stats due to my own experiences...meh...also i hope the al gore they quote is different from manbearpig.

Thanks to jhoijhoi for my signature!

lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 21, 2013 10:32am | Report
There's a 2013 version here. It's only US data, but the ESA hires a polling company to put together the numbers for them ("The annual research was conducted by Ipsos MediaCT for ESA."), so I think it's about as reliable as a voluntary response survey could be.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 21, 2013 10:50am | Report
^ wow if that **** is accurate a lot of my notions are out of date/inaccurate. good find.

GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 21, 2013 11:21am | Report
lifebaka wrote:

There's a 2013 version here. It's only US data, but the ESA hires a polling company to put together the numbers for them ("The annual research was conducted by Ipsos MediaCT for ESA."), so I think it's about as reliable as a voluntary response survey could be.

Nice find but I don't think the exact facts are thát important to the subject. I think I rather look at the issue as a design problem rather than a social issue. As said, videogames aren't going to make men believe that women are objects, etc. etc.

The number of different male characters is far greater than the number of different female characters. Now that is a huge issue.
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 21, 2013 11:34am | Report
well yeah i don't think it takes away from the OP or the points made in the vids about female versus male characters, but it squashes my notion that there are considerably more male gamers (figured 75% to 25%) than female and that the majority of gamers (>50%) are under 18 years of age if it is accurate.

throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 21, 2013 11:36am | Report
tl;dr

Gamers are overwhelmingly male. Males like big juicy titties. Big juicy titties are in games.

I had a funny internet argument with a fem on reddit about overly sexualized women in comic books. Basically said comic writers are male, comic readers are male, if you're butthurt about it, go write your own comic staring a 300lb female protagonist and watch it not sell.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide