Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

How many Veterans are there?

Creator: Bryun November 11, 2011 10:24am

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

108 posts - page 5 of 11
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2011 4:52pm | Report
I never said I thought anyone was petty or useless. I didn't mean to give that impression.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one should be chewed out for disagreeing with other people, whether said other people are vets or normal users.

And at the moment there is a feeling among several people that users aren't entitled to their opinions when it pertains to vets or the like.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2011 5:10pm | Report
Mowen is quiet and never makes MobaFire look bad, and does tons for this website behind the scenes.

She was such a good vet, in fact, that now she's a mod.

Duff thinks some of the vets in MobaFire are poor representatives of the website, onoes.

BOOO FREAKIN' HOOO!!!! :P

I know that a lot of you guys put tons of energy into the website, sometimes countless amounts of hours.

You for example Jhoi, have put astonishing hours into this website. You have detailed guides, FIVE of which are 90% or higher (I'm not sure if anybody else has that), you have 455 rep to show for your efforts, and are one of the most well known and widely applauded members on the site.

Congratulations, that is the reward for your efforts.

Being involved in the community should not protect you from said community. I have the right to say I don't like certain Vets, and it means nothing to me what they are doing behind the scenes.

If they are rude, going around putting newer members and players down, etc, then it's my feeling that they are not doing a good job representing the website.

That has nothing to do with the behind the scenes work put into making the website run.

On an even more basic level, some of the vets I just simply don't like. That has nothing to do with how I feel about them working in the site or what they do to help the site grow, some of them are just people I don't get along with and it's okay for me to say "X" person is a jerk.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2011 5:35pm | Report
I can't defend other vets, I know for instance that BWong was a complete ******* to me when I first joined, so I know vets can be rude. I know I've been rude on occasion, but we're only human. We can't be perfect.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2011 5:51pm | Report
And you're a much better Vet than a good many of the other Vets Jhoi.

Infinitely better than some.

We've had our differences and we bump heads from time to time, but I'm not "Targetting jhoijhoi" when I write these things.

I respect that you acknowledge imperfection and making mistakes.

I do it too.

Everybody makes mistakes.

Everybody has bad weeks and such.

I speak out more than others do, simply because I feel that the good and responsible Vets will be upset that there are other Vets acting in ways that undermine their own hard work. I know Vets like you care about the Site and the direction of it, and have the site's best interest in mind.

While my methods may at times seem backwards or even counter productive (And sometimes they might be) I am also not perfect :P I do have good intentions in mind when I do/say what I do though ^_^
Beeswarm17
<Member>
Beeswarm17's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2011 7:22pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

They're just people y'know guys, some of them are *******s and some of them are nice.

I won't mention any names, but a certain vet was being a complete **** to me at one point. I'm also close friends with at least one vet though. =)

It's the same as in any other group of people and you can't generalize about them either way.

I'm going to quote this again because I don't think it's been said enough.

I will admit that when I first joined this site, the vets and mods were the ones I paid the most attention to, mostly because I wondered why they had special name colors. I also noticed that most of their guides were some of the most detailed and well-written guides on Mobafire (not the only ones, but you know what I mean). I read guides by Jebus, Jhoi, Wrath, Scrax, and others as though they were biblical tomes containing wisdom far beyond my understanding. And, metaphors aside, they kinda were. I wasn't even level 12 at the time. I didn't know what Flash actually did, for crying out loud.

But these people put so much time, effort, and knowledge into what they were doing that I took notice. I started paying attention to other guides they made and the guides by people they associated with. I started browsing through the comment screens because there was even more info in there. Eventually all this carried me into the forums.

As I started looking around the forums and posting, I started noticing a trend. A lot of these people that I'd seen guides of were posting all over the place, as well. I started noticing other vets that I hadn't seen guides of. I started seeing people that weren't vets, but had written other guides that I read the ever-loving **** out of.

Eventually, I started getting pulled away from this idea that Mobafire was a site for LoL guides and more towards this idea that it was actually a community of people that hang out and talk about... stuff. What got me to do that? Who was responsible for getting me involved in this community?

Every single one of you.

I like the members, the vets, the mods, and the admins. I feel like I may have been harassed by a vet before, but I'm not going to say, "gosh, those vets are jerks." I'm going to say, "s/he's being a jerk." I've been helped by numerous vets, too. I'm not going to say, "those vets are nice." I'm going to say, "that guy/girl was really nice to me." And I'm not going to generalize the mods, admins, or even the members that way.

People seem to forget that we all can see what we type. If you are being in ***, it will be NOTICED. I notice; others notice. That holds true for when you're being nice, too. It gets noticed. Every single one of you that's been nice and helpful to me has been remembered. I recognize all of you. And I know I'm not the only one.

The vets do a lot of work around here, and the members help make this community what it is. I really wouldn't have it any other way. (And no, I'm not forgetting the mods and admins, either.)

TL;DR: I like this community, and I appreciate what you all do for it. I don't appreciate the direction this thread is taking, though. It went from trying to find out how many vets are on the site to wondering why these vets are such *******s. Don't generalize the vets anymore than generalizing the entire member base. I'd like it to get off that track, if possible. Thank you.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2011 8:11pm | Report
Buuuut the fact remains that MobaFire is -also- a site for LoL guides.

I still thinks Vets should not be able to rec guides, and until they can't, I'm going to be vocal about how ridiculous I think the entire concept of being a Veteran is.

There are still vets who poorly represent the site.

You are correct, NOT ALL VETS poorly represent the site.

But there are those that do.

Plenty of members don't even feel safe expressing the fact that they might not like a Vet because other Vets come and they ******** the person in question.

That needs to stop.

And I personally think recs need to stop.

I can't do anything about it other than voice my opinion :P
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2011 8:25pm | Report
Duff, I can see where you're coming from with the recommendation thing, since Veterans aren't actually required to know a thing about the game.

DuffTime wrote:

Plenty of members don't even feel safe expressing the fact that they might not like a Vet because other Vets come and they ******** the person in question.

What I don't like is that you say stuff like this. To be honest it's just blatantly untrue, I've never seen this happen in all the time I have been here.

You treat it as if it's some sort of class war, like all the Vets are conspiring together against you. It's not like Veterency is a secret club where you get to talk about all the scummy normal members behind their backs.

Not just talking about you either, a lot of the posts in this thread seem to think that all the Vets act and think as one when in fact they are just normal people acting on their own interests.

It's an online game forum for ****s sake, not gang territory. If you want to speak up about something, stop being a ***** and do it.
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2011 8:32pm | Report
Quoted:
and what about Mowen, Duff? She was a vet too, and a very inactive one for a long period of time. However, she has done INCREDIBLE amounts of offscreen stuff. She is the SOLE reason why the database is up to date every patch.

I like Mowen. She does do a lot of things behind the scenes.

But this made me chuckle.

The database is never up to date. Ever. Ever.

Mind you I might get better results if I actually pm'd the changes to Mowen directly :P

I can't remember a Vet being BLATANTLY insulting to me at any point, but there have been a couple of jokes that I didn't really like, or humour I thought was insulting.

If I had a penny for every time Searz, Wrath, Jun, Xai, Restrict and Six have told me i'm bad, I would be the richest man in North America.

If I had a penny for every time a member of Mobafire said that, I would be the richest man in the world.

idgaf what people say, but it gets a bit irritating at points.

Anyways, about vets in general. I think Vets should be a title only. Have their own forum? Sure.

Be able to update database?

Sure.

Rec guides?

Nope.

It's a cool function, but it causes way to many problems then the good things it brings.

Maybe I have more to say, but atm I'll stick with just this.

Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2011 8:34pm | Report
Quoted:
You treat it as if it's some sort of class war, like all the Vets are conspiring together against you. It's not like Veterency is a secret club where you get to talk about all the scummy normal members behind their backs.

I don't know if this is true, i'm definitely not saying I think it is, or ever would be.

But for all us members know, it's possible vets do just that.

They have their own forum which is private to us, and they have the PM system.

For all we know they could be talking about us behind our backs :P

Fox Rage
<Member>
Fox Rage's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2011 8:40pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

What I don't like is that you say stuff like this. To be honest it's just blatantly untrue, I've never seen this happen in all the time I have been here.

Blatantly untrue? You've never seen it? ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS???

Dude, just go back to ******** page 4, and read Nameless's post

Quoted:
I have stated my opinion in the past and been outright insulted by some of the vets. As I have no desire to be called names, told I am stupid, or the like at this moment, I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Is that enough proof for you? Don,t say you've never seen it, because THAT is a ****ing lie. Just search a bit in the forum, and you'll find plenty more proof.

Sorry for being a bit harsh, but nothing make me more ****ing angry than seeing someone say that kind of **** doesn't exits, when that person damn well know it does. You read it, just like me, but YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES AND PRETEND IT DOESN'T EXIST. That's ****ing lame of you dude, really. So ****ing lame

+rep me and you'll get good karma, wich means you won't be reincarnated into a rock! Isn't that awesome?

But yes this idea has been discussed more than Pam Anderson's tits in a plastic surgeons office.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide