Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Manga/Anime You Read/Watch

Creator: Jebus McAzn February 20, 2011 6:30pm
3336 posts - page 62 of 334
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2013 9:54am | Report
MrCuddowls wrote:

I'm stating truth, not some random dribble

The truth as you see it, which to most others here IS random drivel.
Quoted:
Do you really think the romance in SAO is anything close to stuff like Toradora?

That doesn't have anything to do with what I said, stop making stupid assumptions.
Quoted:
Sorry, but im not going to sound all nice and happy about this for the sake of new comers. New comers reading this should realize that there is better stuff to watch and ask what that is.

Not what anybody asked for, once again you're misunderstanding and assuming things.
Quoted:
I really could give a gigantic list of anime of someone asked, all of which would be better than SAO.

Feel free to do so, but you'll only be wasting your own time. I find it sad how you don't even remember what I've said on SAO several pages back.

Since you misunderstood my comment try reading it again in the context of what you quoted from Lifebaka.
I'm not going to spell it out for you, because you seriously need to practice basic understanding.
"Gold can't buy you rape." - Mr Sark
MrCuddowls
<Member>
MrCuddowls's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2013 10:23am | Report
Searz wrote:
drivel.

Ya I had no idea how this was spelled, I know the meaning of it, ive just never seen it written out until now.

Now aside from that. Lets see what happened again.

Baka said that they called the anime decent
I said they didn't call it decent, I said they called it just above mediocre

Now, you can correct if i'm wrong, if I am than do correct me because i'm a ****ing idiot and obviously need to have my hand held through everything >_>. But it seems like you are trying to say either: that I sound like a jackass who doesn't care what others say. What? should I not be trying to correct people in such a mean manner?

So my behavior seems conceited to you?
If that's it than I will say that is evident in that post, looking at it now in terms of the word "conceited". I will apologize for that,
If it isn't than Im a ****ing idiot and request that you tell me please.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2013 11:57am | Report
MrCuddowls wrote:

Baka said that they called the anime decent
I said they didn't call it decent, I said they called it just above mediocre

Herein lies the problem. Think long and hard about the meaning of the words used and how silly your comment in reality is.
"Nothing says I like you more than letting you drink my filtered urine." - deityignis

"MY WHOLE LIFE IS A WANK." - WTTNHK

"There are boobs...LOTS OF BOOBS. And then Obama comes out of no where." - JEFFY40HANDS, on Air Gear
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2013 12:40pm | Report
^ Basically that. And you're really trying to make SAO sound far worse than it is. There are really bad anime out there (which I've watched an embarrassing number of), and SAO isn't one of them. It's above true mediocrity, because there are things about it that are above average, but failings past the opening few episodes keep it from being all that good either. Hence, I call it decent.

A large part of SAO hype probably has to do with the fact that the summer 2012 anime season kinda' blew. SAO was one of the best anime from that season, hands down, and still one of the better series in the past couple of years. This says more about the quality of a lot of anime than SAO, however.

EDIT: I looked back for Searz's comments about SAO but either they were really short or I've not got enough patience to look far enough back. One thing that struck me though was your mention of the .hack anime as being similar to SAO, which they are... Kind of. Most of the .hack anime uses the stuck-in-an-MMO premise, but SAO carries it off far better. The one .hack anime that stands fairly well on its own is .hack//Liminality, which spends absolutely none of its time actually inside an MMO but follows the story of people outside the game trying to figure out what's going on. .hack//Sign is a complete story, but is really slow and boring for a series that honestly needs to be action-driven, and .hack//Roots is just a game prequel and isn't worth watching if you like non-**** endings or endings that actually involve things concluding.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
YayaFTW
<Altruistic Artist>
YayaFTW's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2013 3:00pm | Report
Either way it all comes back to personal taste. For example I really liked SAO whereas MrCuddowls didn't enjoy it at all. Lifebaka thinks it's decent while Sears thinks it's so far from being a must-watch, barely above average. All you guys did so far was arguing about personal taste. I repeat: Personal.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

@MrCuddowls

You talked about new-comers being misleaded when they read this thread looking for good anime to watch. Don't you think that what you're actually doing is FORCING your personal choices and not RECOMMENDING anime? You basically want people to NOT try Sword Art Online, you call it "****". The fact is that the word "****" is the real misleading statement in the whole thread. First of all, you don't know new-comers's taste in anime, what they like or what they hate. Didn't you assume that maybe Sword Art Online might be what a new-comer was looking for all this time? Didn't you suppose the fact that even if SAO is **** to you, it's pure gold to others? Imagine that a new-comer reads your post and walks away with the idea that Sword Art Online is "****" whereas if he had watched it he'd have liked it and SAO would have became one of his favourite shows? Isn't that the real mislead you were talking about?

Remember, when you give a list of your favourite animes, these animes are Recommendations. Of course many of them can be, and will be better than SAO, but it doesn't mean in any way that SAO is "****" because you know better animes.

PS: Just above mediocre = Average. Average is pretty close to decent. I don't know what you'd call anything between that.
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2013 3:39pm | Report
YayaFTW wrote:

Either way it all comes back to personal taste. For example I really liked SAO whereas MrCuddowls didn't enjoy it at all. Lifebaka thinks it's decent while Sears thinks it's so far from being a must-watch, barely decent. All you guys did so far was arguing about personal taste. I repeat: Personal.

No, no no no. It's not all about personal taste, and it's not helpful to assert that personal taste is what matters. We're trying to discuss whether or not these anime are good, which is separate from whether or not we enjoyed them. I, personally, have enjoyed many of the series that I'm saying people can skip, simply because I know that my own enjoyment does not make them all that good. (For instance, I really enjoyed watching SAO as it came out, but I acknowledge that it isn't a very good anime over all.) We can talk about and compare the qualities of anime as something separate from what each of us particularly enjoy.

Honestly, I always consider taste to be what allows people to enjoy bad entertainment media. The problem is that a lot of people don't want to admit that they happen to enjoy things that aren't good, so people tend to assume that everything they like is good and everything they don't like is bad.

Also, I think my and Searz's position on SAO are pretty close. Close enough that I don't think they're actually different, even if we use different words when we talk about the series.

YayaFTW wrote:

it doesn't mean in any way that SAO is "****" because you know better animes.

As Yaya says, Cudd, using "I can think of better anime" to define **** anime would be very problematic. There could only be, by that definition, one non-**** anime. And we'd never even be able to agree on which one it is. It'd be horrible. Let's not do that.

As far as the rest of your comment goes, Yaya, excepting the idea that quality doesn't have an objective component, I think you're pretty spot on. It's not particularly helpful to recommend anime to others until you have some idea of what they're looking for when they watch an anime. (Unless that anime is so good that it doesn't matter, but I think I've already made my opinion on Madoka clear.) Cudd, for instance, doesn't seem to care for much other than the romantic plotlines in an anime, which probably has a lot to do with why he didn't enjoy SAO at all; SAO's romance was pretty uninspired, honestly. I really don't enjoy most detective-style anime, which is why I didn't like Gosick, as another example.

MrCuddowls
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2013 4:32pm | Report
Don't get me wrong
I like all genres, from action to romance, to mystery

The reason i'm building so much emphasis on SAO's romance was because it's romance was the thing that the show decided to highlight. The anime was bad because it decided to put emphasis on the romance over the original concept of "If you die, than you die in real life".

This might seem like a bad way of concluding if a show is bad, someone might say "Oh, even though they didn't follow the original concept, the romance was still good"
But that doesn't happen here, as you have said already, it's completely lame, uninspired, etc.

Just wanted to make sure it's clear, I like all genres.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2013 4:46pm | Report
YayaFTW wrote:

Either way it all comes back to personal taste. For example I really liked SAO whereas MrCuddowls didn't enjoy it at all. Lifebaka thinks it's decent while Sears thinks it's so far from being a must-watch, barely above average. All you guys did so far was arguing about personal taste. I repeat: Personal.

It is, but it can to some degree be evaluated. It just takes a person capable of such things.

In regards to SAO I believe it has to do with what a person is looking for and what they care about. If cool, flashy fighting scenes is all you're looking for then SAO does that pretty well. But if you're looking for any kind of good narrative, intelligent plotline or interesting characters, then you're out of luck.
People that are just looking for flashy fighting scenes can often ignore or even overlook things like plot holes and empty characters.
That is what creates the problem of people overrating that piece of media since they only pay attention to its strengths, not its weaknesses.

Quoted:
Just above mediocre = Average. Average is pretty close to decent.

I believe your thoughts here might be a bit off.
Mediocre is a synonym for average. They mean that same thing..
Mediocre = Average when average is used as an adjective(to describe something).

And if I were to place those words on the 10 scale they'd be smack in the middle: 5/10
Decent is slightly higher than average, being 6 or 7 on the 10 scale.

And like Mr.Baka said, I believe our (Baka&Me) thoughts on SAO are roughly the same.

Time for a grammar lesson!

Quoted:
misleaded

There is no such thing as "misleaded", it's "misled". Newcomers are being misled. Cuddles is being misleading. He knows how to mislead.
Quoted:
You basically want people to NOT try Sword Art Online, you call it "****".

You're not properly linking the two sentences, either use a dot to separate them (not a comma) or connect them properly.
"You call it '****'. You basically don't want people to try SAO."
or
"You call it '****' and basically don't want people to try SAO."
Quoted:
The fact is that the word "****" is the real misleading statement in the whole thread.

Correct use of "misleading", but a word is not a statement in the sense that you're saying it.
This would be more correct: "The fact is that 'It's ****' is the real misleading statement in this thread."
Quoted:
new-comers's

Incorrect use of apostrophe.
"Newcomers" implies that there are multiple newcomer(s). I.e: plural.
"Newcomer's" is something that belongs to ONE newcomer.
This is what you should have used -> "Newcomers' " (apostrophe after the s) is something that belongs to multiple newcomers.
"The newcomers' joy was great." means that the joy of the newcomers(plural) was great.
Quoted:
Isn't that the real mislead you were talking about?

This sentence is broken. Even to the point of making it a little hard to understand it properly.
Something like "Isn't it you being misleading?" would work if that's what you aimed to say.
The moment a religious person unknowingly calls his own ways stupid: "And lol. I highly doubt you have magic powers. If you proved it I would believe you, but since you 'refuse to', I choose not to."
MrCuddowls
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2013 5:06pm | Report
Since we have finally come to a close about this anime
Lets move the **** on

In the past 3 - 5 months, what are the anime that have come out?
A list would be preferable.
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2013 6:31pm | Report
MrCuddowls wrote:

In the past 3 - 5 months, what are the anime that have come out?
A list would be preferable.

Winter 2013 season anime calendar

Of these, I'm watching (and too lazy to finish spelling all of):

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Ore no Kanojo to blah blah blah (OreShura for short)
Tamako Market
GJ-bu
Kotoura-san
Mondaijitachi ga Isekai blah blah blah
Boku wa Tomodachi blah blah NEXT

Of those, I only really suggest Tamako Market. Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is interesting and certainly not bad, but I really need to finish the series before I can determine whether or not it's good or merely decent and interesting. OreShura is a fairly standard romance anime with multiple female leads; overall it's decent but certainly not good. GJ-bu is pretty meh, but it's also a nice break from the rest of what I'm watching; Searz may like it more than me, it's sketch comedy/slice of life with a dash of stupid harem tropes. Kotoura-san is another romance (this time without stupid harem tropes!) and had a great first episode, but the whole super-eros male lead is really grating after episode 2 or so. Mondaijitachi started out okay, but is quickly becoming mediocre standard shonen fare. Boku wa Tomodachi etc. NEXT is pretty bad, honestly, but I watched the first season and I don't see the point in stopping now when I'm clearly enjoying it in spite of its (massive and many) flaws.

Several of the series I'm not watching are of the 5-minute episode sort, which I absolutely refuse to watch. I hate the short format with a passion, as I don't feel like they can get enough done in any given episode to make the entire series worthwhile, especially when so much time is taken up by opening and closing credits.

I'm also continuing to watch Hunter x Hunter, Sakurasou, and Zetsuen no Tempest from earlier seasons and I've started watching the first season of Fairy Tail on Hulu.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide