Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Multiple Choice Exams

Creator: jhoijhoi September 24, 2014 7:13am
62 posts - page 3 of 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Do you think education systems should use multiple choice exams?
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2014 8:16pm | Report
I think it doesn't matter which method you use as long as you stick to multiple types of questions. An entire test made out of multiple choice questions would be a bit unconventional considering the fact that it's possible to pass it just by having good guessing luck :p
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2014 8:19pm | Report
XeresAce wrote:
I think it doesn't matter which method you use as long as you stick to multiple types of questions. An entire test made out of multiple choice questions would be a bit unconventional considering the fact that it's possible to pass it just by having good guessing luck :p

It is almost impossible for you to pass by pure luck; the moment you look, read, and comprehend, that is the moment your odds went up.

EDIT: Consider a test with 50 questions which each have 4 options, thus giving a blind guess a chance of 0.25 to yield the correct answer. Say you need to answer 60% correctly to pass, that's 30 questions out of the 50. This means that the odds of passing are 1.64228554977441E-07 to 1. Just to prove my point.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2014 8:20pm | Report
They do full multiple choice tests all the time here...mostly because it's way easier to grade scantrons than to grade other tests.
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2014 8:24pm | Report
It is almost impossible for you to pass by pure luck; the moment you look, read, and comprehend, that is the moment your odds went up.

Eh, I guess I'm an ace student so I wouldn't know because I almost always rely on studying (or actually, comprehending... I rarely study "textbook style" unless it's historical facts) rather than luck :P

Also, some extra rant... I absolutely hate it when I have to explain my choice of words to my professors... LIKE FFS YOU FINISHED UNIVERSITY TO NOT BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THE WORDS A HIGHSCHOOLER IS USING?! I've been told I have a high "level" of writing compared to my peers, and I get as much complaints for it as I do compliments. Apparently it's not necessary therefore I shouldn't use it. smh.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2014 8:34pm | Report
I memorize information incredibly easily, especially facts.

I'm also the kind of person who thinks needless repetitive work is, well, pointless. If I've proven to you I can do something, there's no need for you to make ME prove that 5 more times just because other people in the class can't do it properly yet. It's not my fault other mere mortals aren't as brilliant as I am. 8D
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2014 8:35pm | Report
I'm also the kind of person who thinks needless repetitive work is, well, pointless. If I've proven to you I can do something, there's no need for you to make ME prove that 5 more times just because other people in the class can't do it properly yet. It's not my fault other mere mortals aren't as brilliant as I am.

Honey, don't steal my lines!
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2014 8:36pm | Report
Honey, don't steal my lines!

<3
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2014 8:39pm | Report
Say you need to answer 60% correctly to pass,

A 50% is generally a pass here in Australia. Sometimes a 45% if it's in math or science.

I think own-time assignments are the best judge of a student's work ethic. Sure, you can write a pass assignment the night before, but a hard worker can write a masterpiece if they start when the assignment is given. Assignments are also real-world applicable. The times when you're going to be at work and required to sit still for 3 hours and hand write an essay on x has a very small possibility of occurring, compared to having to go and research something and write up a report or present a speech.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig unintentional collab with Jovy and me ♡
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2014 8:43pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

A 50% is generally a pass here in Australia. Sometimes a 45% if it's in math or science.

Here it's generally 55%, with a few exceptions such as most languages like German, French, and Dutch. Honestly, Dutch should be 80% because if you can't speak your own language properly, then you shouldn't be allowed to leave school.

Also, 45% is really stupid. I mean, shouldn't you be able to answer more than 50% correctly if you knew your stuff? Nevertheless, my point is still valid; not likely that even one student would ever pass as a result of pure luck.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2014 8:46pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

what the...here a 50% is always failing and 45% is so bad that I can't imagine letting someone pass with a grade like that. Depending on the grading scale (10 point or 7 point, both are used in the US) you'll have to get at least a 60%, sometimes a 72% to pass.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide