Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Official Path of Exile Thread

Creator: caucheka October 25, 2013 1:04am
-NA- Veng Lmfao
<Altruistic Artist>
-NA- Veng Lmfao's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2013 5:28am | Report
Searz, I'm not talking about other games. I'm talking about the comparison between D2 and D3, and why I'd enjoy D3 more than D2, simply because I have played D3 first...

That's not being narrow minded or ignorant at all. Everybody has the right to enjoy any game, you don't become narrow minded or ignorant for liking the look of one game over another
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2013 12:24pm | Report
no, it is being narrow minded. your judgement of d2 would be skewered by the fact that you played and enjoyed d3 first, even though d3 is an inferior game.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2013 1:15pm | Report

Searz, I'm not talking about other games. I'm talking about the comparison between D2 and D3, and why I'd enjoy D3 more than D2, simply because I have played D3 first...

That's not being narrow minded or ignorant at all. Everybody has the right to enjoy any game, you don't become narrow minded or ignorant for liking the look of one game over another

Yes, understanding English is hard.
It's ignorant and quite frankly stupid to think that you'll like one game over another simply because you've played it before the other. Which is what you wrote, if you don't remember.
As for judging a game solely or mostly by its graphics: that's almost as silly. Graphics are obviously a part of the experience, but a game with no substance is a boring game. I was gonna liken it to women, but then I remembered that you're 15.

lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2013 1:40pm | Report
Searz wrote:

It's ignorant and quite frankly stupid to think that you'll like one game over another simply because you've played it before the other. Which is what you wrote, if you don't remember.

Actually... That's not an unreasonable thing to think. It's pretty much how human memory works, and it's what pretty much all nostalgia grabs use. And I think it's worth noting that D2 is pretty old now, which would make it really hard for a modern (and especially younger) gamer to get into it. Without a solid backing in how end-of-the-90's games look, feel, and work, it'd be easy for someone to dismiss it without getting deep enough in to tell that the game is actually really good before deciding they don't like it. For another example, I haven't gotten very far into Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, or Icewind Dale 2 for exactly those reasons; it doesn't matter how good those games are, I'd rather be playing Dragon Age: Origins, in spite of its problems.

More generally, our perceptions of things are based on our past experiences. Therefore different past experiences can lead to vastly different perceptions. Veng's thoughts on D3 are clearly based on not having played D2 or many other similar games, for instance. And my thoughts on Path of Exile are based primarily on having played Torchlight, Torchlight 2, and Titan Quest, but not D2 or D3.

So... Uh... Yeah. Don't harp on Veng too much, guys. He's speaking based on incomplete information, sure, and not expressing himself particularly well, but that's no good reason to jump down his throat. Just explain why you think he's wrong. And if he keeps coming up with new arguments, either explain why you think they are wrong or disengage. Just don't escalate.

Also, Veng, if you don't feel like there's enough to do in Torchlight 2 end game, check out SynergiesMod.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2013 2:08pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:

Actually... That's not an unreasonable thing to think. It's pretty much how human memory works, and it's what pretty much all nostalgia grabs use. And I think it's worth noting that D2 is pretty old now, which would make it really hard for a modern (and especially younger) gamer to get into it. Without a solid backing in how end-of-the-90's games look, feel, and work, it'd be easy for someone to dismiss it without getting deep enough in to tell that the game is actually really good before deciding they don't like it. For another example, I haven't gotten very far into Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, or Icewind Dale 2 for exactly those reasons; it doesn't matter how good those games are, I'd rather be playing Dragon Age: Origins, in spite of its problems.

To say that that is how human memory works is kind of a blanket statement.
That does not apply to me, which already makes such a statement false.
I'm well aware of the fact that a lot of the stuff I played and watched when i was younger was ****.

I'm also a firm believer in fair comparison. While loads of people go around claiming that Red Alert/*insert random old game here* is great I claim that it in fact isn't, because it has a ****-ton of problems. Problems that they ignore because it's an old game.
I do not think it is okay to excuse problems because something is old. That places unfair bias in the older product.
Quoted:
So... Uh... Yeah. Don't harp on Veng too much, guys. He's speaking based on incomplete information, sure, and not expressing himself particularly well, but that's no good reason to jump down his throat. Just explain why you think he's wrong. And if he keeps coming up with new arguments, either explain why you think they are wrong or disengage. Just don't escalate.

Nah, it's a good lesson. It'll do him good.
Quoted:
Also, Veng, if you don't feel like there's enough to do in Torchlight 2 end game, check out SynergiesMod.

Yeah, mods are kind of a big deal.
"I walked up to her big butt and asked her *** butt what." - Lil Wayne, lyrical genius

"I can't decide where I stand on abortion, on one hand it is killing children, on the other it gives women a choice." - ???
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2013 2:29pm | Report
mods which you cant get on d3 because its always online.
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2013 2:40pm | Report
I don't use Steam much, but if you want to level with me my current character is Eodyn, and you can skype me @ kaelanstorm. I'm enjoying the game a fair bit, although the amount of inventory you get sucks ****. It hasn't actually changed all that much since I last played it in february, amazingly enough.

-NA- Veng Lmfao
<Altruistic Artist>
-NA- Veng Lmfao's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2013 3:55pm | Report
I do run Synergies mod (and multiple other minor ones) but the game still doesn't grab me past the level 100 point.
Lifebaka, thank you so much for summing up my entire statement.
I've basically been trying to say that D2 is an older game, whilst D3 is much newer.
+rep for you.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2013 4:07pm | Report
just because d3 is newer than d2 doesnt mean its better.

see fallout 3 vs 1/2.
Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Ninja Trigger's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 1, 2013 4:18pm | Report
I don't think he is saying D3 is better because it's newer, he didn't play D2 when it was fresh and new so his immersion into the game would be different playing it after experiencing D3.

Some games don't age well, not saying D2 aged bad but for someone who didn't play it when it was new and fresh they will for sure have a completely different experience playing it today then someone who played it when it first came out.

I love D2, and Path of the Exile is shaping up to be a great game. And that's the great thing about gaming. Someone may Love Pokemon Red and Blue but for someone who has only played Black and White, Red and Blue may seem unfinished/bland or just slow, aka the immersion is different

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide