Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Sometimes, I question the intelligence of...

Creator: Toshabi March 23, 2012 10:19pm
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 1:03pm | Report
I dunno about FFVI, but I know Skyrim isn't very good, lawl.
Sittin' on chimneys, putting fire up my ***.

"I biked 12km in a blizzard today and mice are chewing on my chocolate bars. Life's good."
Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 1:15pm | Report
It's all up to the individual gamer. When speaking of older games, it's obvious that you're looking at the gameplay almost alone in order to determine how good the game is, however today, graphics simply are an important factor. Everything is HQ now. As TV became better and better in quality, of course the games should as well, even if they took a little longer becoming stronger in the graphics department. I love the fact that you get blinded by the sun in a game such as Uncharted 3, and I love just looking around in a game like Skyrim. For me, gameplay suddenly becomes less important, since I have something shiny and beautiful to look at, while playing the game.

Hell, it could be about finding special sorts of flowers and decorating a home out of things found in a forest, as long as the forest is well made, and is beautiful as hell. Graphics combined with music especially I think, are very much pretty much of the same value to the game as a whole, as the gameplay and challenges themselves are.

I'll just stop now, I bet there are plenty of things to comment on in the text above. That's just me, writing my mind out.

Kirluu~
Check out my comprehensive guide for Jax !!
-
Make sure to hit that +Rep button if I helped you out, and you feel I deserve it! :)
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 1:18pm | Report
@Lugignaf
So the new megaman are exactly the same game as the old ones but the better graphics make them worse? Hmm, didn't know that.

And how do they have more time to work on the gameplay if they don't work on the graphics? If they don't work on the graphics then they'll ship the game sooner. They don't put the designers working on the story or gameplay just because they finished their work faster. It does not work like that.

Wow, you really prefer 8-bit and 16-bit games to current ones? Why are you even here then? Doesn't the fact that you play LoL prove you don't?

Please, go on that 10 paragrapher rant.

@Searz
Why exactly isn't Skyrim good? It was the game of the year for a reason.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 1:19pm | Report
LoL has pretty terrible graphics by current standards dude...

Whatever, I don't even know why I'm still responding. You can't reason with ignorance.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 1:23pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

LoL has pretty terrible graphics by current standards dude...

Whatever I don't even know why I'm responding. You can't reason with ignorance.

LoL has terrible graphics? Really? Show me moba/RTS games with very good graphics then. I want to see what you call good graphics if you consider LoL terrible. It must be something mindblowing.

Obviously you can't reason with ignorance, that's why you should get informed.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 1:26pm | Report
Dota 2 or HoN.

Canoas wrote:
Obviously you can't reason with ignorance, that's why you should get informed.

Wow, I wish Mobafire had a -Rep button. Gonna stop replying now.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 1:28pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

Dota 2 or HoN.

Dota 2's graphics aren't any better than LoL.. LoL's graphics are cartoonish, but it doesn't make them worse. Artstyle =/= graphics. Having good graphics does not mean photorealism.

I guess you were right, you can't reason with ignorance.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 1:41pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

@Searz
Why exactly isn't Skyrim good? It was the game of the year for a reason.

Typing out a huge rant and refreshing this page when I see this^

It's pretty, it plays decently enough and it was heavily anticipated. There's no reason why people wouldn't have voted it well. Nostalgia for Oblivion and Morrowind overcame so many people.

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 1:48pm | Report
You shouldn't argue with ignorant people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Please, please butthurt eachother with this as inspiration <3

- Really though: Chill dafuq out, both of you ;o You're both somewhat right. There can never be an end to arguments like this.
Check out my comprehensive guide for Jax !!
-
Make sure to hit that +Rep button if I helped you out, and you feel I deserve it! :)
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 24, 2012 1:52pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

@Lugignaf
So the new megaman are exactly the same game as the old ones but the better graphics make them worse? Hmm, didn't know that.

Megaman 9 and 10. 8-bit. Released on Wii. Still great.

Megaman 7 and 8. The graphics added nothing. Absolutely nothing. It could have been 8-bit and it still would have worked out other than the changing market at the time. Someone even went so far as to make 8-bit de-makes of both 7 and 8 for PC. They're great, lemme tell you.

Anyway, long rant, not 10 paragraphs because I over-exaggerate in everything I do.

I'm going to go to my classic argument and one of my favorite game series for points of reference. Megaman. Limitations: Large things had to be part of the scenery, couldn't have more than 3 colors in an image because of hardware limits. What did this mean exactly? they had to be creative in how they integrated things. Megaman's 4 colors(black, white and his 2-toned weapon color) was actually a trick of the designers as you could only have 2 colors like I said earlier.

Going on to today's games, they just slap **** in and call it good. Sure they make fixes but, there's no pressure to make things innovative if everything just works without any additional effort on the part of the design team or the art team. Shadow of the Colossus? Let's just slap the biggest things ever in there! No problem!

Now were going to shift into the "This is the same game just reskinned" area.
Megaman series, Call of Duty series, Pokemon series. What do they have in common? Barely anything changes between them.
CoD is still a war game and you're still shooting the bad guys. You still have people online calling you a ******. Can you believe you paid 60 USD for this?
Megaman series. Jump-n'-shoot man! Lastly, you're still going to try to catch them all in Pokemon, aren't you? Only thing that changes are the faces, names and places. Now obviously a series has to stick with a formula or else it won't be established as what it is. When someone says "Halo series" you think "FPS" almost every time. Then came Halo Wars. It was different and people were... put off by it.

When it comes to the "I prefer old games to new games" argument that you touched on, old games were innovative. Only because they were new and they were the first of their kind. People still play Counterstrike. Does it look good? Not really. Does it play extremely well? I bet it does. When it comes to old games for me though, I enjoy the graphics for 1 reason. It's very easy to convey things and so many things were assumed. White triangle thing that glistened occasionally? Probably a death spike in old games. Black section at the bottom of the screen? Death pit in old games.
Shiny thing? Maybe it's a power-up, maybe it's a lever, maybe it's... slime in new games. Black pit? Not sure if it's a death pit or the lighting at the bottom just doesn't reach that far up...

I also have every kind of emulator that I can. I love old games with a passion and they bring a lot of inspiration for my drawings and other things. I also never said "I will only play old games because they are vastly superior," did I?

To end this "rant" I'm simply going to say, you are the worst kind of arguer. People are giving you opinions and you are restating them as hard facts. Why? I dunno. Have fun with doing your thing. Whatever it may be.

EDIT: As an aside, someone is making a SNES game to be released in 2013. Not styled like an SNES game but, actually on SNES. Using the cartridge and everything. They're only actually "printing" 600 copies of the game. IT's region free and going for about the current standard of a new game. 68 USD in the states and 75 USD internationally. I think that proves that some people still prefer older games.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide