Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Bloodthirster vs. Hydra: Which is better?

Creator: Sir Wellington June 8, 2015 6:38pm
1 2
Sir Wellington
<Member>
Sir Wellington's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 8, 2015 6:38pm | Report
They're like the two ultimate lifesteal items, but it's not clear at first when you should buy one or the other (let's just assume we're talking about melee champs, otherwise there's no comparison.)

I used to think Bloodthirster was the superior item because of the extra 5 AD, 8% lifesteal, and the shield. But spamming Ravenous Hydra in the past 10-15 games or so changed my mind. Here's some thoughts and numbers:

- Bloodthirster is actually geared towards ranged champions because they can use their range to avoid damage and stack up the shield. On the other hand, if you're up in someone's face you WILL be taking damage, so you can't really benefit from the shield.

- The extra 8% lifesteal is marginalized by the 100% base regen and AOE lifesteal Hydra provides, and if there's a lot of enemies like a minion wave or Raptors then Hydra actually heals you more.

- Hydra's active is kind of like an extra spell which deals 100-60% of your AD, which is easily worth giving up 5 AD for.

- Hydra's a little cheaper and has a much easier build path.

- Hydra lets you farm way faster.

Maybe this was obvious when BT got changed earlier in S4, or maybe I'm the last guy making this connection, but I can't think of any reason to ever buy BT again with melee champs. So if you're playing a melee champion and you usually get Bloodthirster, try something different and get Ravenous Hydra instead.

What are your thoughts?

Check out my manly Xin Zhao guide for manly men!
emoriam
<Veteran>
emoriam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 9, 2015 11:47am | Report
Would you mind sharing a list of the champions you've built Ravenous Hydra instead of Bloodthirster on?

Honestly, I think that Bloodthirster suits ranged AD Carries the best and I hardly seeing it picked up on melee AD Carries such as Yasuo or Zed anyway. Therefore I'd assume that Ravenous Hydra is the obvious pick on melee characters being suitable for this kind of item.
Thanks to Ubnoxius for this sig!
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 9, 2015 11:51am | Report
The easier build path coupled with the active which you can combo to cancel some of your animations as an extra spell and better waveclear are what make Hydra so much better on melees

Can't remember the last time I bought a BT on a melee aside from yasuo
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 9, 2015 11:53am | Report
I can't think of a melee champion off the top of my head that benefits more from Bloodthirster. That 5 AD will never outdamage the Hydra active, so you'd basically have to justify it with the extra lifesteal. As far as I know all melee champions use Hydra better than BT.
Thanks to Janitsu for the sig!
parrot6632
<Member>
parrot6632's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 17, 2015 7:42am | Report
how about... BOTH
windmills
<Member>
windmills's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 18, 2015 4:14pm | Report
Get neither. Why would you even need to lifesteal if you can just delete enemies without taking damage? That's why I play Mordekaiser. You just use all your abilities and the enemies are gone before you take damage. No need to lifesteal. Pointless debate.

If you want you can check out my Mordekaiser Guide Once a month I update it daily.

z0mgitspie
<Member>
z0mgitspie's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 4, 2015 9:08pm | Report
I'd say you are kind of neglecting Botrk. Champions like Jax, Trundle, Irelia, and Poppy will be better off with Blade of the Ruin King because of the percent health damage, attack speed, and movement speed manipulation.
The Giratina
<Member>
The Giratina's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 10, 2015 6:41pm | Report
If I get super fed as 'Trox, I usually buy both plus Blade. I can keep my Blood Price on indefinitely since the huge lifesteal I get quickly replaces the hp lost. Get a spirit visage and Ninja tabi and call your self an unstoppable 1v2/1v3 killer, ESPECIALLY with Sated Devourer.

Ask about my dank memes
H4xDefender
<Veteran>
H4xDefender's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 18, 2015 12:39am | Report
BT is better on yasuo for shield stack and the fact that u rarely get time to use hydra active on him. BT is also probably better on Xin, Yi, and Tryn as well, but you can make a case for all of them that bork is better than both. (the same goes for yasuo too I suppose, but thats build dependent.)
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 18, 2015 2:48am | Report
BotRK is better on anyone that gets Enchantment: Devourer tho. Hydra as well. But, on Xin, you shouldn't get more than BotRK + Enchantment: Devourer as pure damage item anyway.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide