Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Gold/10 Runes

Creator: Svingas February 13, 2012 6:35am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2012 3:27pm | Report
Mathematically, they are sub par

Functionally, on the right supports they can be quite good.

The same way armor reds and blues can be good if you know when/why to take them, GP10 yellows and whatnot can be good too.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 17, 2012 9:48am | Report
lifebaka wrote:

(unless you mean something else by "pretty bad", in which case you need to elaborate).

Flat quints are generally way superior to scaling quints. In some of the comparisons I've made the GP10 quints only pass other runes after ~25-30min.

Searz wrote:

You also need to account for the fact that gold needs inventory space to be of use while stat runes don't.

Unless all inventory slots are already full, I'm not sure that this is much of a concern. In the very late game, sure, stat quints are going to be better because there's nothing to use more gold for. But for the rest of the game, any differences are significantly less obvious.[/quote]
Since most good quints are FLAT stats you can pretty much say that: stat quints are better early and late, but may be worse somewhere in the middle.
"We've had a few gloomy years with bad console ports, and what do we get in the light at the end of the console-tunnel? A tablet OS ported to PC." - Atlas Tasume, on Windows 8
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 17, 2012 9:54am | Report
DuffTime wrote:

Mathematically, they are sub par

Functionally, on the right supports they can be quite good.

The same way armor reds and blues can be good if you know when/why to take them, GP10 yellows and whatnot can be good too.

That's a bad way of putting it.
GP10 seals are generally a lot weaker than other runes PERIOD.
But they're ofc applicable in a suiting situation. For seals those situations are just very, very rare.
Armor marks are generally much more applicable. So are GP10 quints.
The thing about GP10 quints is that they are soooo versatile. They work in all situations, regardless of which support you play. Other quints may be stronger, but they're far from as versatile.
"He cooked cake." - MrCuddowls

"Oh forget it, I have nothing to hid, I admit it, 12 hours of every single day of my life ever since I was eleven years old have been anal sex with canoes" - MrCuddowls
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 17, 2012 10:57am | Report
Health/MS aren't versatile?

Because any champ can use them.^^
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 17, 2012 11:06am | Report
Searz wrote:

Flat quints are generally way superior to scaling quints. In some of the comparisons I've made the GP10 quints only pass other runes after ~25-30min.

(Snip)

Since most good quints are FLAT stats you can pretty much say that: stat quints are better early and late, but may be worse somewhere in the middle.

Again, I believe GP10 quints surpass flat quints a bit sooner than 25 minutes. Taking some relatively common flat quints as examples:
Unless I've missed a realistic flat quint choice that's worth substantially more gold than the above, it seems that GP10 quints surpass them before the 20 minute mark of the game.

I feel I oughta' state that I'm not really arguing that GP10 quints are great on everyone, though. I absolutely agree with:

Searz wrote:

The thing about GP10 quints is that they are soooo versatile. They work in all situations, regardless of which support you play. Other quints may be stronger, but they're far from as versatile.

So I'm not claiming that GP10 quints are the best, but only that they're good and remain good (roughly) on pretty much everyone, and a comparable in gold value, or better, than other quints. Many champions would prefer something else in the quint slot, but GP10 quints are an excellent choice for general-purpose rune pages. Such as for poor summoners who main support and haven't had the time to buy other rune pages yet.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 17, 2012 12:46pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:

Your calcs are off. You should always be using the basic tier items, not the higher ones. So Amplifying Tome makes for: 107.6625g and is passed at ~19:30.

Still earlier than I remembered. I guess I remembered wrong. My bad.

Quoted:
So I'm not claiming that GP10 quints are the best, but only that they're good and remain good (roughly) on pretty much everyone, and a comparable in gold value, or better, than other quints. Many champions would prefer something else in the quint slot, but GP10 quints are an excellent choice for general-purpose rune pages. Such as for poor summoners who main support and haven't had the time to buy other rune pages yet.

GP10 quints are good for general purpose support quints, but that's really the only place you can use them.
Most other champions need flat quints for winning their lanes.
The moment a religious person unknowingly calls his own ways stupid: "And lol. I highly doubt you have magic powers. If you proved it I would believe you, but since you 'refuse to', I choose not to."
Zoki
<Member>
Zoki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 17, 2012 12:51pm | Report
I think that GP/10 are awesome on supports and I use them aswell. Like said, they beat other flat quints at about 20min mark in worth, and that is surrender point so game can't even end before them.

The language of friendship is not words, but meanings.
Sigs made by: LaCorpse, jhoijhoi, Katoki, JEFFY40HANDS, The_Nameless_Bard and Sk1llbug
-||- Check out my Master Yi guide -||-
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 17, 2012 1:03pm | Report
Searz wrote:

That's a bad way of putting it.
GP10 seals are generally a lot weaker than other runes PERIOD.
But they're ofc applicable in a suiting situation. For seals those situations are just very, very rare.
Armor marks are generally much more applicable. So are GP10 quints.

So mathematically sub par, functionally applicable on supports?

Cool.
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 17, 2012 1:14pm | Report
Searz wrote:

Your calcs are off. You should always be using the basic tier items, not the higher ones. So Amplifying Tome makes for: 107.6625g and is passed at ~19:30.

Still earlier than I remembered. I guess I remembered wrong. My bad.

I've actually been using an average of all basic tier items, instead of just the cheapest, where there are multiple. This pulls the gold value per point of a stat down slightly, since more expensive basic items usually give better stat/gold ratios; this accounts for the roughly seven gold difference in our calculations. I suppose I could re-run my stat value calculations for early game (using cheap basic items), mid game (using mid-valued basic items), and late game (using expensive basic items), but I'm not sure if it'd really be a better model that way. Either modeling method would have its pros and cons.

Searz wrote:

Most other champions need flat quints for winning their lanes.

I'd possibly say "want" instead of "need", because I believe player skill has more to do with winning or losing a lane than quint choice, but I agree, other quints are superior on pretty much every champion. I also think that GP10 quints are better at lower levels of play, when your opponents might not be able to capitalize on the edge other quints give them.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 18, 2012 2:49am | Report
lifebaka wrote:

I've actually been using an average of all basic tier items, instead of just the cheapest, where there are multiple.

Not all stats have mid tier items (and most have very different values). So for a balanced overall value it's better to just go with the basic ones.

lifebaka wrote:

I'd possibly say "want" instead of "need", because I believe player skill has more to do with winning or losing a lane than quint choice, but I agree, other quints are superior on pretty much every champion. I also think that GP10 quints are better at lower levels of play, when your opponents might not be able to capitalize on the edge other quints give them.

Yea, pretty much.
"He cooked cake." - MrCuddowls

"Oh forget it, I have nothing to hid, I admit it, 12 hours of every single day of my life ever since I was eleven years old have been anal sex with canoes" - MrCuddowls
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide