Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Mass Warding: The New Support metagame?

Creator: alyzar October 28, 2011 5:10am
1 2 3 4 5 6
alyzar
<Member>
alyzar's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2011 5:10am | Report
I've been playing support Lux lately and I came up with a build idea that pretty much revolves around going gp/5 items and then proceeding to mass wards all game instead of finishing my items up (and relying on the gp/5 to support this.) Both of the times I have done this it has been extremely effective and made my ability to support all the more potent. You can get easy control of their jungle if you are careful and the river as well. It sort of reminds me of Hon/Dota style of support where you are constantly buying wards and placing them everywhere. Map control is extremely important, and both of the games that I played, it was extremely difficult for the enemy team to enter their jungle and we had complete control over baron and dragon. If you're interested in learning about it in depth, click here.

Has anyone else does this? Does it work as well as it does for me as it does for you?
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2011 5:31am | Report
That's how you're supposed to play supports. Except when you have enough gold for a cheap support item like Aegis of the Legion or Shurelia's Reverie that fits your build.

Never start with regen pendant please... Always Faerie charm + 3 pots + 2 wards...
alyzar
<Member>
alyzar's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2011 5:35am | Report
Quoted:

That's how you're supposed to play supports. Except when you have enough gold for a cheap support item like Aegis of the Legion or Shurelia's Reverie that fits your build.

I always see supports spending money on items over wards. Even in mid elo ranked.

Quoted:

Never start with regen pendant please... Always Faerie charm + 3 pots + 2 wards...

Personal preference. They both have their ups and downs. The Faerie charm build is only really a good idea if you plan on pushing your lane, which you shouldn't do anyway.
Whated#79092
<Member>
Whated#79092's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2011 5:52am | Report
I basicly do that too, but I always buy 6 wards when I go back. So I can get Aegis etc. to support my team mates.

My pro paint skills! I sometimes put wards in other places too, but those I keep up all the time when I get my items up.
Zoki
<Member>
Zoki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2011 5:52am | Report
Well in my opinion there should be at least 4 wards at any time on map. 1 at dragon, 1 at baron(okay these 2 are pointless if these two are dead) and other strategic points. I play Soraka ranked(72% victory season 1, 69% victory this season so far) and I start with Faerie Charm, 2 HP pots and 2 wards. It leaves you with 75 gold. Usually first time I have to go back, I upgrade to Philosopher's Stone, maybe boots to and ofcorse some wards. Also a nice rule is, buy few wards every time you go back.

Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it.
Sigs made by: LaCorpse, jhoijhoi, Katoki, JEFFY40HANDS, The_Nameless_Bard and Sk1llbug
-||- Check out my Master Yi guide -||-
Phoenix0000ff
<Member>
Phoenix0000ff's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2011 9:27am | Report
I always used to tell people you can tell who's winning a game by who has more wards on the map. Sure it's not a supreme truth but heck couldn't hurt to overdo wards could it?

most underated item in the game imo
Self proclaimed worlds best Jungle Twitch player
You can find my one and only guide here.
I love you.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2011 2:00pm | Report
Warding isn't a meta.

It's good decision making, it's ALWAYS been a highly rated item. People just tend to forget because it's not pertinent to their champion build.

It's not underrated, it's under-taught. People don't have it drilled into their heads enough because low-elo doesn't require as many wards.

High-ranked players all know wards are the best item in the game.
That's why Wriggle's Lantern is top tier on junglers, and supports rely on GP5 items to purely buy wards.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
alyzar
<Member>
alyzar's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2011 6:06pm | Report
JunSupport wrote:

That's why Wriggle's Lantern is top tier on junglers, and supports rely on GP5 items to purely buy wards.

Having a ward isn't the reason people buy it. It's an added perk, in my opinion. I'd still get it even if it didn't give a ward.
Phoenix0000ff
<Member>
Phoenix0000ff's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2011 8:03pm | Report
JunSupport wrote:

It's good decision making, it's ALWAYS been a highly rated item. People just tend to forget because it's not pertinent to their champion build.

I know people rate them highly. They are just still under rated for being high rated if that makes sense.
I guess it's a quote or a misquote from SK Wickd
Self proclaimed worlds best Jungle Twitch player
You can find my one and only guide here.
I love you.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 28, 2011 9:55pm | Report

They are just still under rated for being high rated if that makes sense.

No. No it does not.
I think "underused" is the term you're looking for.

Wards are good, but here's how it works: Wards do not win games - More properly-used wards then the enemy win games.

A blue teammate can ward their bottom river, and the jungler may never go down there, while the purple bottom team crushes the lane.
That's a ward that didn't do any good. These always happen.

Wards aren't part of a meta, they're an option.

Experience teaches people to just look at the mini-map, and play safely. People do that all the time, and win, despite having lower wards then usual, even at tournaments.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
1 2 3 4 5 6

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide