Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Most Effective Items for Ranged DPS VS Tanks

Creator: Pwnzor1130 May 8, 2011 11:05pm
Pwnzor1130
<Member>
Pwnzor1130's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 8, 2011 11:05pm | Report
I have always wondered what builds were most effective builds on a ranged DPS against a tank, and this thread gave me a reason to run some numbers.

Using Ashe as an example, I calculated the DPS against a Cho'Gath (with this build and with no masteries or runes) with different Ashe builds. I did not count her ultimate (it could miss, hit another target, etc. while Volley is much easier to land, and will likely hit). I assumed all BloodThirsters were completely farmed. I assumed Ashe used these masteries and runes: masteries runes. I also assumed that Ashe was level 18.

These were the builds I used to calculate Ashe's DPS VS Cho'Gath. The builds are ranked in order of DPS (highest to lowest). I mixed in different flat ArPen items along with Last Whisper into as many of her core build items as possible to create these builds. This is not a complete list, but it should be enough to gain a general idea of what items to get on an Ashe-like ranged DPS against tanks.

Black Cleaver + Last Whisper + Infinity Edge + Phantom Dancer + Mercury's Treads + Banshee's Veil yielded 463.8472528 DPS (highest).

Black Cleaver + Bloodthirster + Infinity Edge + Phantom Dancer + Mercury's Treads + Banshee's Veil yielded 424.35556 DPS.

Last Whisper + Phantom Dancer + Bloodthirster + Infinity Edge + Mercury's Treads + Banshee's Veil yielded 423.1307611 DPS.

Black Cleaver + Phantom Dancer + Youmuu's Ghostblade + Infinity Edge + Mercury's Treads + Banshee's Veil yielded 408.81416 DPS.

Black Cleaver + Phantom Dancer + Sword of the Divine + Infinity Edge + Mercury's Treads + Banshee's Veil yielded 378.125935 DPS.

Black Cleaver + Sword of the Divine + Youmuu's Ghostblade + Infinity Edge + Mercury's Treads + Banshee's Veil yielded 354.32903 DPS.

Black Cleaver + Zeke's Harbinger + Youmuu's Ghostblade + Infinity Edge + Mercury's Treads + Banshee's Veil yielded 322.37223 DPS (lowest).

What can we learn from this? We have learned that even with flat ArPen, Last Whisper is too effective against high-armor targets to pass up on Ashe-like carries. We have also learned that Sword of the Divine gives much more DPS than Zeke's Harbinger against high-armor targets on Ashe-like carries (probably against lower-armor targets as well, but I would have to calculate those numbers). Youmuu's Ghostblade Is more effective than Sword of the Divine against high-armor targets on Ashe-like carries (again, probably more effective against lower-armor targets as well).

Why not Madred's Bloodrazor? I did not count Madred's Bloodrazor due to the very high Magic Resist that most tanks will have. This cuts the effectiveness of Madred's Bloodrazor in half, or perhaps even less than that. Madred's Bloodrazor give AD and AS as its other offensive stats, both of which need ArPen to become effective. Overall, this makes Madred's Bloodrazor a rather lackluster item on Pure AD Carries like Ashe.

Thanks to The Nameless Bard and Vavena for the sigs!
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 8, 2011 11:12pm | Report
If you used zerks on the lowest DPS build what position would it hold then?
Australians, the best gamers in the world combined with the worst ping.
Pwnzor1130
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 8, 2011 11:15pm | Report
It would probably be higher, and it may or may not be above the second lowest DPS build. The only problem is that most tanks have CC, especially against a full tank team or a tanky DPS team. Thus, realistically, Mercury's Treads are a MUCH better item against tanks.

Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 9, 2011 3:42am | Report
With the new tenacity system you might be able to grab Zerks and the new AS/Crit chance item.
Australians, the best gamers in the world combined with the worst ping.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 9, 2011 4:06am | Report
This doesn't account for a lot of things. I think I need to graph this for a proper comparison.
I was planning on doing it anyway.
"I walked up to her big butt and asked her *** butt what." - Lil Wayne, lyrical genius

"I can't decide where I stand on abortion, on one hand it is killing children, on the other it gives women a choice." - ???
Pwnzor1130
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 9, 2011 3:04pm | Report
Ya, I omitted a lot of possible items on ashe and builds on Cho'Gath for simplicity. However, I did take into account Crit Chance, Attack Speed, Attack Damage, the damage that Sword of the Divine's passive would yield, and the CD and damage of volley. Although realistically, I would probably take the second-highest DPS build for the lifesteal on Bloodthirster. The amount of health gained from auto-attacks would be considerable, and just might give enough health to win a fight, while it would also deal more damage against squishier targets.

Also, the patch preview was released while I was calculating the DPS of these builds. At first glance I would say that Ninja Tabi, Boots of Swiftness, or Berserker's Greaves might be viable boots on Ashe depending on the situation. The only problem with tenacity is that you would have to sacrifice quite a bit of damage and movement speed if you want to take it over Phantom Dancer, although the loss of Attack Speed would be partially made up by the addition of Berserker's Greaves. Banshee's Veil as a defensive item is just too good to pass up, as it would give more MR, HP, and Mana than the new Mercury's Treads, while also having the chance to completely negate one CC effect every time it is off cooldown. Overall, I think that replacing Phantom Dancer with the new AS/Crit item with the addition of Berserker's Greaves would sacrifice some movement speed and damage, but could possibly make up for it depending on the enemy team composition. Playtesting will need to be done for this, however.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide