Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Trundle Trinity or Frozen Mallet?

Creator: mysim20 November 23, 2011 1:19pm
1 2
Trenditon
<Member>
Trenditon's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2011 6:09pm | Report
I honestly think that both have their own merits, as many people have said. It's really just situational which you build.

Frozen Mallet is the better pick if you're having trouble farming, your team has little CC of it's own, and/or you need tankiness. However I also think that if you're building this you should get an Atma's Impaler and get some added use out of this item, seeing as 20 AD is pretty dam weak for offense.

I also think you should get the full mallet if you're up against really fast opponents. Yes, your Contaminate and Pillar of Filth are great for rooting people in place and chasing, but if the person flashes or blinks out, you're kinda screwed. If you need the reliability of a constant slow on super mobile targets, then this is the better option. You can't use that extra damage trinity gives you if you can't catch your targets.

However, if those conditions aren't met, you should just go with Trinity Force as others have said. It's greatly superior damage and utility wise (except for the somewhat inconsistent slow), and while it does give less survivability, that extra HP from frozen mallet won't mean squat if your team loses fights due to lack of damage. Most of the time, you want your opponents to target you, so you can spare your carries (you should be off-tanking so that's your job), but as an off tank, you need to be doing enough damage that they're forced to focus on you. This will help you achieve that damage while still getting some more survivability.

I like Trinity Force a lot better 90% of the time. It's a fantabulous item, and helps out Trundle and many other off-tanks so much.
That +rep button could use some love!
Wenvarien
<Member>
Wenvarien's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2011 6:15pm | Report
Trenditon wrote:

I honestly think that both have their own merits, as many people have said. It's really just situational which you build.

Frozen Mallet is the better pick if you're having trouble farming, your team has little CC of it's own, and/or you need tankiness. However I also think that if you're building this you should get an Atma's Impaler and get some added use out of this item, seeing as 20 AD is pretty dam weak for offense.

I also think you should get the full mallet if you're up against really fast opponents. Yes, your Contaminate and Pillar of Filth are great for rooting people in place and chasing, but if the person flashes or blinks out, you're kinda screwed. If you need the reliability of a constant slow on super mobile targets, then this is the better option. You can't use that extra damage trinity gives you if you can't catch your targets.

However, if those conditions aren't met, you should just go with Trinity Force as others have said. It's greatly superior damage and utility wise (except for the somewhat inconsistent slow), and while it does give less survivability, that extra HP from frozen mallet won't mean squat if your team loses fights due to lack of damage. Most of the time, you want your opponents to target you, so you can spare your carries (you should be off-tanking so that's your job), but as an off tank, you need to be doing enough damage that they're forced to focus on you. This will help you achieve that damage while still getting some more survivability.

I like Trinity Force a lot better 90% of the time. It's a fantabulous item, and helps out Trundle and many other off-tanks so much.

I don't think that the choice could have been explained better. Good job Trenditon.
Please check out my first guide on mobafire for Tristana.
listick02
<Member>
listick02's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2011 6:02am | Report
As long as i keep up with the camps and i have decent ganks, grabbing those 4k for the trinity is not such a big deal with Trundle :)

Not to mention, while the trinity give effectivness WHILE you are building it (the sheen proc really speed up your DPS since the very early phase of the mid game) i feel that building a Frozen Mallet is more like an all-in-one item. Just my personal feedback here :)
MildlyMalicious
<Member>
MildlyMalicious's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2011 10:50am | Report
Trinity Force > Frozen Mallet
It's a situational item, not a core item.
Wanna know what item is the bestest evar?! Here you go :) :)
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard and myself(:3) for the sigs!
+Rep me if I was awesome and said awesome things like i'm supposed to :D
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2011 8:30pm | Report
Trinity Force. I don't always buy trin force, but I never buy mallet.

Frozen Mallet just seems to give a lot of stats that can be better achieved elsewhere on trundle.

Need damage? Trinity Force. Atmogs. Whatever.

Need CC? Why do you need CC, you're trundle! Trinity Force gives you more than enough CC, because you have that speed boost + pillar slow, so if you can't get that phage slow on them, then you probably didn't have much of a chance anyways. Also, red buff.

Need health? Atmogs works much better than atmallet.

Basically, I don't see many reasons to buy mallet over something else.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 26, 2011 1:52am | Report
Trenditon wrote:

Frozen Mallet is the better pick if you're having trouble farming, your team has little CC of it's own, and/or you need tankiness.

In an even game, the team with less CC is generally doomed anyway.

Trenditon wrote:
Yes, your Contaminate and Pillar of Filth are great for rooting people in place and chasing, but if the person flashes or blinks out, you're kinda screwed.

Frozen Mallet is equally useless when it comes to Flash.

But if you force the target to Flash, that's considered a gain.
You've given your ally lane-leverage, presuming neither of you wasted your flashes either. Come back in 2 minutes, and secure the kill.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 26, 2011 5:02pm | Report
Do yourself a favor and forget pretty much everything you've read.

The real answer is, you need to know when to buy which one.

If your team has lots of damage, and you're short of gold, 100% buy the mallet.

If you're steamrolling, and you find yourself getting strong fast, Trinity Force 100%.

If there's a strange mix and you're not sure what to do, you'll need to decide on the fly, mid game.

If you can afford the Trinity and you don't need to get working on beefy resistance items, be my guest.

If you'd be better off peeling and saving my team, Mallet may be your choice.

Again, this community has a serious, "THIS OR THAT, PICK NAO." syndrome.

You'd all do yourselves a favor to get past that and understand the when's and why's of items and skills and champions, etc.

Trend had some good points, which is why I didn't repeat his points but instead added to them.

TL,DR, I play Trundle often, won 6/7 of my ranked games with him in Season 1, and it's a fact that both work very well in different situations.

I have a short Trundle guide if you need more info and you can always PM me as well.

Cheers.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide