Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Why do people think cho is a tank?

Creator: mastajdog October 9, 2011 6:19pm
1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2011 3:39pm | Report
DuffTime wrote:

Yearp. My solo lane top Cho Gath gear to start out with is FH and FoN pretty much every single game.

Same here :P You build AP after that?

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2011 3:42pm | Report
DuffTime wrote:

Yearp. My solo lane top Cho Gath gear to start out with is FH and FoN pretty much every single game.

How would you feel about rushing Catalyst, but not upgrading to RoA until after FH/FoN?

Just curious.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2011 3:46pm | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:

Same here :P You build AP after that?

No I either full tank or I build some kind of offtank.

End gear could include any number of these items.

FH, FoN, Madred's, Warmogg's, GA, Trinity Force, Atma's, Randuin's Omen, Banshee's veil.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2011 3:48pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

How would you feel about rushing Catalyst, but not upgrading to RoA until after FH/FoN?

Just curious.

I would upgrade it into a Banshee's veil after FH, not RoA.

And I would get FoN immediately after.

If a lane is hard for Cho, building hard resistances against the damage source is all you need to do to take the lane back. That's one of many reasons that an RoA rush is not a good way to build. It delays your counter building, which makes you weaker early.
mastajdog
<Editor>
mastajdog's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2011 3:49pm | Report
DuffTime wrote:

No I either full tank or I build some kind of offtank.

End gear could include any number of these items.

FH, FoN, Madred's, Warmogg's, GA, Trinity Force, Atma's, Randuin's Omen, Banshee's veil.

i agree with the above, and his base stats are high enough to play him as an off-tank with pure tanking items. i appriciate the support of the early fh deal. so what do people in general think of pure/mostly ap cho? i've never tried it, but how would you really counter it? just wondering.
Mastajdog, "You shall bow in the presence of the masta."
please +rep if i've been helpful at all, and come check out my guides!
credits to The Nameless Bard and greynadefor the awsome signatures, and me for the others.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2011 3:51pm | Report
Mostly AP Cho doesn't need to be countered. You just kill it, lol.

It sucks.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2011 3:58pm | Report
Mostly AP Cho deals disgusting amounts of damage, but is also so squishy. It requires playing him like a squishy mid which is really weird. Tanky AP works pretty well in fact and is quite strong, but I still prefer zoning enemies with full tank Cho.

@ Duff
Madred's?????
Warmog's Armor????
Trinity Force??????

really? :|

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2011 4:05pm | Report
I've been a supporter of the RoA tanky style Cho for a while, but some of the points you made seem solid Duff. Might be worth a try.

I kind of agree that TF is an odd choice with Cho's high cooldowns (granted I heard somewhere he had amazing base AD), but I can see that a Warmog + Atma build might work rather well.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2011 4:22pm | Report
Yeah, honestly Cho scales great with attack speed and resistances for various reasons. He's very much like Udyr if you want him to be.

Like you said Luther, he has the best base AD in the game. Getting attack speed means you'll be using that high base dmg more often.

Using AS is also free damage with E. His E is his most under utilized skill, I find myself maxing it first in a lot of my lanes (Garen, Irelia, etc) and then the other player simply cannot win trades with me.

So the combo of buying resistances against your opponent, running AS reds (This is key) and maxing E means most melee's won't be able to fight you. You'll have potions and be able to heal off creeps in no time.

TF is a pick that a lot of people struggle with, but it's actually quite a good buy. For a lot of reasons. The proc is just huge. Move speed on a gigantic offtank, more HP, damage, attack speed, decent crit chance in combo with atma's for 3-400 damage crits on a fairly legitimate tank. You shouldn't always buy TF, but you can if you know when and why.

Madred's is a finishing item. Towards the end of the game as tanks are getting big HP, you're going to be able to stand and bang with them and out DPS them. it will make your E come faster, and synergize well with it. A key point to remember is that Madred's also gives armor which has a good effect with your ult's HP bonus.

Warmogg's. You've got FH, FoN, and a GA. Your resistances are huge. Since Warmogg's is the best defensive item in League of Legends, and since your tank items are designed to take advantage of high HP already, buying Warmogg's is a very strong choice. Cho Gath with absolutely no other HP items and Warmogg's will hit 4k HP easily, and your resistances can be far north of 200, touching almost 300 to boot.

Let's take a look at a build most people wouldn't dream of on Cho.

Merc, Warmogg's, TF, Wit's end, GA, Madred's.

Run that with AS reds, and you're an auto attacking machine. It's about 60 AD or something, 100% faster AS, and tons of on hit effects, slows, damage which synergizes with your E, and a proc which syergizes with the burst on your Q and R for finishing blows. You'll have 4k life and with defensive runes, about 180 resistances to everything.

You're a serious force. Those stats are no joke. You're gonna have like 150 phys damage, and 200 magic damage per hit on most targets, more or less respectively.

So, these are the kinds of things to be thinking about when choosing your items.

RoA is failsauce in terms of survivability and damage in combination, because FH, Wit's end, etc do it all better.

You might as well give it a try if you have the AS runes. It's brutal if it's a style that matches your style of play. (Aggressive)
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2011 4:24pm | Report
I do have AS runes, usually I tend to play defensively though.
1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide