Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Why do people think cho is a tank?

Creator: mastajdog October 9, 2011 6:19pm
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 9:52am | Report
Cheers mate. :P

The reason Warmogg's works is because of the resistances and such on the other items you get. It uses the same logic as his ult; It's an item begging for resistances, that's it's purpose, as is his ult's purpose. A massive chunk of HP with resistances is a scary thing ^^

You have to be an auto attack happy player though, if you're not auto attacking the you're not getting any damage with the items I listed.
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
PotatisFarfar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 10:45am | Report
Yep i think we can all agree on that Frozen hearth and force of nature is both kinda "Most have" items on cho'gath.

Warmog is a good choice if you wanna be tanky, it kinda says it self. Especially after your resistance items. It is just that i don't like it becouse it is only defensive. Atleast Frozen hearth and force of nature have offence stats also. (moment and cdr.)

Agree on "madreds counters Warmogs", madreds is a quite lame item any way...

That's the thing with RoA, it gives him all he needs for a quite nice little price. And it builds out for an awesome starting item.

Rushing zonya? You will still need that one Hp item.

True when it comes to laning also.

I really need to try trinity on cho'gath actually...

And just so you know, i rarely build RoA on cho'gath any more either. I only build it if i completly stomp a lane and i wanna carry my team in solo queue.

Most of the time counterbuilding your lane is a way better choice.

I really need to update my guide QQ.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 11:01am | Report
Yeah well even if you're stomping your lane though Potatis, RoA isn't the right item to buy. :P You're probably not buying RoA as often anymore because experience has proven the superiority of other item choices to you ^^ Counter building on Cho is quite simply too effective not to do.

You're right, buying Zhonya's doesn't mean you won't need more HP. I'd never buy Zhonya's on Cho TBH, I don't like AP cho lol. I'm just saying cost to effect it's superior for Cho Gath than RoA.

I guess where we disagree is that I don't like AP on Cho Gath. So for me RoA is a sub par HP item, a bunch of mana which I already have in Frozen Heart, with 80 AP attached that I don't care very much about.

If you build Rabadon's then RoA's not a waste but I still think there's other better AP items.

I just prefer attack speed and tankiness with on hit effects. Wit's End and Madred's = sooo much damage and you'll kill any target pretty easily.

Keep in mind, Madred's would be a finisher item. The very last item you build. If you build it too early it's just a garbage waste of gold. Most games never make it that far, but building Madred's at the end of a game in my eyes is a solid investment in a lot of games.

Once you have 4k HP the armor is really useful and you'll get some nice AD and AS and a good on hit effect to boot, which helps a lot against the tankier champions.

If I was gonna do AP Cho Gath I'd probably build Frozen Heart, Abyssal, Rabadon's, Warmogg's, Zhonya's. I'd shoot to be half tank at least :P I haven't played tons of games as AP Cho so my opinion is sort of irrelevant on how to build him. ^^
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 11:14am | Report
AP have quite nice synergy with AS btw.

The scaling on E is quite nice.

My regular build right now in solo queue is.

Starting item to counter --> Boots to counter --> Core tank item to counter --> Wit's end or the other tank item (either Frozen or Nature.)

I really never play Ap cho'gath either. Only if i know i will be winning easy. Mostly becouse it is so much fun to NomNomNom for 1k damage :3.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 11:21am | Report
Yeah your new build is much much better.

It's endlessly more effective to get AS/on hit with resistances and an HP item (I choose Warmogg's because it's the highest HP item, and as such is the best defensive item in the game).

Yeah, in hard games, if it doesn't really work, there's a reason for that xP

I know that AP Cho's -damage- is fairly good if you can land a full pop up 3-4 enemies and a silence to boot, but when you buy Wit's End, as you well know, your damage is already good anyway :P

The AP boost to Cho's auto attack damage is 30%, which is -okay- if you have like 500+AP (That would be 150 DMG)

Yet, that amount of damage is comparable to what Madred's offers as a stand alone vrs a single target, and it also gives you AS and armor, both good for Cho.

What HP items/item have you been building in your recent games? :o
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 11:58am | Report
Never actually gotten to the point where i need it.

But i am thinking Red pot and Banshee should be enough.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 11:59am | Report
Red pot and banshee's can be enough, yeah. If you did that you could also buy Randuin's for some HP. You wouldn't need more than that, you'd just be full tank without much damage ^^
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 1:18pm | Report
hmm when you have a "descent" team, you wont need more damage any way.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 1:26pm | Report
DuffTime wrote:

Right, "Don't listen to Duff" even though Duff's the best Cho Gath player in the entire thread.

Yes.

This is exactly right. Because you're not the best in the world and frankly, no one gives two-****s about how skilled you are at Cho. Your personal skill and experience is anecdotal - Not significantly relevant to generalized discussions.

And unlike you, some of us pay attention to the top ranks. We don't worship them mindlessly; we study them - (Yup, we "study." Totally nerdy, but it helps us understand the game)

Warmog is a good choice if you wanna be tanky, it kinda says it self. Especially after your resistance items. It is just that i don't like it becouse it is only defensive. Atleast Frozen hearth and force of nature have offence stats also. (moment and cdr.)

Don't forget Frozen Heart's AS debuff aura.
This is exactly why Warmog's Armor is not a good item if you want to do REALLY WELL.

It lacks utility. You do not NEED that much bonus health and regen.
It's not something pertinent to your goals - It just makes you feel nice. "hue hue, I are bulky void monster that cannot be killed" =/= "hue hue, I are bulky void monster that helps win games"
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2011 1:27pm | Report
DuffTime wrote:

Right, "Don't listen to Duff" even though Duff's the best Cho Gath player in the entire thread.

Pfft, hahahahahahaha. Gz

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide