Olaf Build Guide by ChaseMorePlz
(11.7) Olaf Top/Jungle Guide: Season 11 SAVAGE! [YOUTUBE EDI
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Choose Champion Build:
How to Dominate & Carry!
You're not going anywhere!
Runes: Olaf The Conqueror
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
+15-90 HP (lvls 1-18)
Ability Order Ability Maxing Order
Threats & Synergies
Hardest matchup for Olaf. Survival of the fittest Olaf players, sustain lane and farm the best you can.
Very hard to play against without being kited. A bit tougher to kill her once she hits 6, but it's possible to poke her down and all-in especially when you hit 6.
Very hard matchup as well. Try to farm with your Q and stay out of his Apprehend range, he is very immobile so once you hit a power spike and play the lane properly, he shouldn't be too much of a problem for you.
Pantheon's passive makes trading vs. him pretty difficult. He is also very immobile which is a good thing for Olaf. Also very vulnerable to ganks
Broken champion, definitely OP. Luckily, Olaf is broken as well. You're stronger than her early game, so abuse that fact and keep her on her toes.
Easy once you hit 6, poke him down and all-in him; he can't CC you once you're able to catch him overextending so use that to your advantage.
As long as you DON'T take a load of free harass, this is a very easy matchup. Try to avoid him pre-6 when he transforms into Mega Gnar. Once you hit 6, Gnar relies on the CC from Mega Gnar + his ult; once you get past lane phase it's very easy due to Olaf's kit.
Semi-hard matchup. Do your best to sustain lane & farm, try to poke with your Q if possible. Xin is also very immobile; jungle pressure is very helpful to win this matchup.
Can go either way, however is in Olaf's favor. If the Nasus sustains lane and gets Q stacks, the mid-game transition may be too much for Olaf to deal with. You're stronger than him early & late, so unless you screw up during lane phase, you can dominate as long as you can deal with his Wither. Stop D Gates, deny him farm!
If you allow Vlad to sustain your poke and keep his distance, you may be in trouble. Vlad is be very vulnerable to all-ins from Olaf, especially after a Tiamat power spike, so keep this in mind after purchasing items and getting level advantages.
Very annoying early game due to the fact that he can easily poke you out of lane if you take too much free harass. Not completely necessary to trade very often early, once you hit 6 he's basically a free kill as long as you don't allow him to create a large lead vs. you.
I personally don't like laning versus Shen at all. If you're able to shut him down then it's very good, however if he is able to ignore your poke he can provide a lot of support to his team to get them a lead early on. Try to prevent this if possible, can actually snowball out of control for bigger advantages in Shen's favor.
One of Riven's toughest matchups. Her only chance is to rely on her jungler or outplay and kill you early. After you get a few items and hit 6, you can destroy her especially since she can't use her Crowd Control all of the time (abbreviated for CC, for the seconds you are unable to cast your abilities) since you can cast your "R", you can become invulnerable to those types of abilities for a short amount of time.
Annoying, but not "too" difficult. Try to stop his regen whenever possible with your Q. Be mindful of his ult as well, Olaf is very squishy early on depending on your build path.
Do your best to dodge his counterstrike pre-6. Once it's down, it's very easy to trade with him. Poke him down kill this joker.
When dropped low in combat, Olaf is able to thrive with his passive. However, when an enemy is dropped low, Volibear also benefits from Frenzy. A good Volibear will try to all-in you when you're weak, so be wary of him deleting you with his bite, it hurts.
Udyr top can prove to be very strong in the hands of a good player. The matchup is somewhat "snowbally"; both champions offer raw damage. Sustain his Tiger damage or handle his splitpushing pressure with Phoenix and you will be fine.
Unless you can sustain Teemo's harass, which isn't too difficult, you will be fine. Be mindful of his blind, when you hit 6 the slow from his shrooms will be irrelevant as well.
Very similar to the Nasus matchup. Do your best to deny cs and kill him if possible, do not allow him to farm for free.
Threats & Synergies
Introduction: How To Play Olaf In Ranked!
Combining this guide with the gameplay/commentary will help you tremendously learning how to play and win games with Olaf! Be sure to check it out and subscribe for more <3
- Olaf Snowballs VERY hard, this is very good due to the fact that winning lane in Season 8 is very imperative to succeed early on :)
- Amazing damage with an early Tiamat (most efficient method of pushing your lead with Olaf in my opinion)
- Ridiculous chase and poke potential. Nearly impossible to get away from Olaf while overextending; if he's able to get multiple Q's Undertow thrown onto you, you're not moving.. very much.
- Multiple attack speed steroids ( Berserker Rage and Vicious Strikes ,lifesteal built into his kit with Vicious Strikes, as well as true damage added along with all of that, Reckless Swing.. AKA SICK DUELS BRO!! :D
- His ULTIMATE, Ragnarok! The ability to not be CC'd for the duration at such a low cooldown is a reason why I believe he's lowkey OP; it's just very beneficial in nearly every single situation.
- Very immobile without any summoners/ult, Flash, Ghost, or Ragnarok. You want to avoid being focused down or kited at this point without these being up, which can in certain scenarios depending on the enemy team's composition can be quite easy, such as going against a Jarvan IV. However, he does have high movespeed overall; especially with his jungle build path.
- Olaf's gap closing abilities scales differently throughout the game as a "slow roll" after Predator. He can run, or use multiple Q's with Undertow and Upgrade Predator boots. Until he finishes completing his core build path; Dead Man's Plate, Turbo Chemtank and Ingenious Hunter stacks, it is easier to kite Olaf.
- Lacks a reliable form of CC, doesn't offer anything but the slow from Undertow or Stalker's Blade.
- Somewhat 'relies' on the cooldown reset from picking up his Undertow in most a lot of skirmishes or teamfights, which will inevitably reduce his DPS.
3. If you don't need any Lifesteal from Ravenous Hydra, Titanic Hydra is also a very good option. Dead Man's Plate assists in catching up to targets, Turbo Chemtank does the same. Frozen Heart is very good vs. heavy ad comps; the CDR and mana is very good on Olaf as well. Sterak's Gage is a very underrated and strong item, the shield, health and scaling damage it offers is amazing. I prefer going Gargoyle Stoneplate if you need the extra Armor & MR, I call it Sterak's Gage 2.0 because you can choose when to activate the shield! Be sure to build this item with more HP items such as Titanic Hydra + Deadman's Plate.
4. Consider what you need in terms of tanky stats depending on who's ahead on the enemy team. Enemy ADC snowballing? Build some Armor. AP Mid becoming a threat? A Spirit Visage or can help out a ton so you don't get 100-0'd by them; try to avoid dying in general as well. Randuin's Omen or Frozen Heart are the best armor items to build vs. the enemy team, take what you need and don't max out on CDR!
Building Olaf correctly and staying ahead in farm/CS will always result in you scaling into a late game monster. Be sure to refer to the example builds and items at the beginning of the guide for even more information and item choices! You can be strong in every point in the game depending on your gameplay decisions, resulting in very positive results from the games you play with him :)