Mobafire League of Legends Build Guides Mobafire League of Legends Build Guides

Jarvan IV Build Guide by DynamicGoat

This build has been archived and is for historical display only.

PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.

Not Updated For Current Season

This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.

Rating Pending
Like Build on Facebook Tweet This Build Share This Build on Reddit
League of Legends Build Guide Author DynamicGoat

Jarvan IV Off-Tank DPS

DynamicGoat Last updated on December 14, 2011
Did this guide help you? If so please give them a vote or leave a comment. You can even win prizes by doing so!

You must be logged in to comment. Please login or register.

I liked this Guide
I didn't like this Guide
Commenting is required to vote!

Thank You!

Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.

Guide Top




As the royal family of Demacia for centuries, members of the Lightshield line have spent their lives waging war against any who opposed Demacian ethics. It is said that every Lightshield is born with anti-Noxian sentiment in his blood. Jarvan IV is no exception, even though he is the first Lightshield born to the age of the League of Legends. As his forefathers had before him, he led Demacian troops into bloody engagements with Noxian forces, and on many occasions he has bled alongside wounded allies and fallen comrades. In his most crushing defeat, he was outmaneuvered and captured by a Noxian battalion under the command of Jericho Swain. This mistake nearly cost him his life at the hands of Urgot, but he was rescued by the Dauntless Vanguard, an elite Demacian strike force led by Jarvan's childhood companion, Garen.

Those close to him believed that his capture changed him. Xin Zhao was quoted as saying: ''His eyes never seemed to look at you, only through you to something he could not look away from.'' One day, without warning, Jarvan IV handpicked a squad of Demacian soldiers and left Demacia, vowing to find ''atonement''. He began by tracking and hunting the most dangerous beasts and bandits he could find in northern Valoran, but he soon tired of such prey. Seeking something that only he understood, he ventured south of the Great Barrier. He wasn't heard from again for nearly two years. After many had assumed the worst, he returned to glorious fanfare on the streets of Demacia. His Demacian plates were adorned with the bones and scales of creatures unknown. His eyes bore the wisdom of someone twice his age. Of the twelve soldiers who had departed with him, only two returned. In a tone as cold and steady as steel, he swore to bring the enemies of Demacia to their knees.

''There is only one truth, and you will find it at the point of my lance.''
- the ''last words'' of Jarvan IV at his failed execution


This guide is for laneing with Jarvan

Jarvan is a melee fighter champion capable of knocking up champions, trapping champions, initiating fights, soaking up damage and dealing decent damage. For this build Jarvan is hard to kill early game, ( Philosopher's Stone Philosophers Stone ), Heart of Gold. Can deal good damage and have good utility ( ), Trinity Force and have great health mid game, ( ), Warmogs Armor and deal out great damage ( ) Atmas Impaler, and ( ) Infinity Edge Once you get the full build it's pretty much a 90% chance that you will win the game. (10% chance that your team really really sucks)

Guide Top



Guide Top


Marks and Quintessences

Greater mark of desolation
Greater Quintessence of Desolation
Greater marks of Desolation and Greater Quintessences of Desolation are proved to be the best runes to add attack damage. Any DPS melee champion needs Desolation runes to give that extra damage, Jarvan is no exception.


Jarvan has great health and armor with this build but he is lacking magic resist. Magic resist per level seals are great for Jarvan because he has enough armor and health as it is so he needs magic resist to not get immediately taken out by an AP carry.


greater glyph of replenishment
Jarvan doesn't exactly have mana problems but these glyphs let him spam his ability's pretty much whenever he wants. (after a philosopher's stone of course.)

Guide Top


For masteries I take a 0/9/21 build. I start off with good hands and the ghost mastery. Perseverance is useless because the regeneration is scaled in percentages. Say for example you had 100 health regen per 5 seconds (alot), and you had 3 points on perseverance; you would only get an extra 4 health per 5 seconds. Perseverance is useless, never get it on any champ, your points will be well spent on good hands. Next I get awareness for the extra exp. Greed is never a bad choice and Meditation will help you spam your skills even more. Quickness will help you chase down people and get blink of an eye for flash. Put 3 on intelligence so you can spam you skills faster. You have to put one more skill somewhere in order to get Presence of the Master so I put it on Utility Master. (red buff plus trinity is a huge slow) Grab red buff whenever you can. For defence mastery's go with armor and magic resist. Don't get dodge because your not getting dodge for anything else so it won't be worth it. Grab strength of spirit for more health regen and harden skin for more defence

Guide Top


Core items

The combo of Warmog's Armor and Atma's Impaler is amazing, especially on Jarvan because he has which gives him an additional 44% attack speed when his flag is near him. Extra damage is not very good unless you have some attack speed to go with it. With Jarvan you can have the health, , the damage, , and the attack speed,. Everything on contributes to Jarvan. The attack speed helps his DPS, the attack damage helps him hit harder, the AP adds damage to his , the crit chance is self explanatory (also adds on to to give 33% crit.) Health and mana make him more sustainable and movement speed helps him chase down his enemies when they run in fear. But the passives on are what really make it great. The slow will help you keep attacking your enemy as they run away. They +150% damage after an ability adds a ton of damage after you land your knock-up combo. Jarvan lacks magic resist so is the way to go. Also tenacity is priceless when escaping or chasing

Start out with a regrowth pendent to stay in the lane longer. You can go back at 1190 gold and get your philosopher's stone and . Another option is to go back as soon as you have 365 gold and get philosopher's stone right away. One more option is to go back at 1540 gold and get philosopher's stone all at the same time. Get the next time you go back then start on your . Get first. Then get if you can buy the whole item. If you can't get a full then get or the recipe for it. Finish your then start on your . If you can afford get it first. If not get . The next item you want to get after is . You can only buy one of the recipes for this item, (full inventory) so get . After that you want to start building up your damage. You already have a bunch of att speed from your E so now you can put that to use with an Infinity edge. After that its your choice. Depending on the game you might want a Force of Nature, Thornmail, or Randuins. If they are not focusing you at all grab some more damage with a Bloodthirster. Another nice choice is a last whisper if they are stacking armor.

Guide Top

In Progress

This guide is in progress. I will be adding Playstyle, Skill Sequence, Pros/Cons and Farming chapters.