Kennen Build Guide by humantorch
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Welcome to my Kennen guide! You probably don't know me but I'm Humantorch, and this is my first guide I have ever created. I have been playing league for about a year now, and I found kennen a fun and unique champion, which is why i chose to write a guide about him. His abilities are versatile and electric-based. If played correctly, Kennen can be an amazing team-player because he can stun multiple champions and perform well in team fights. Please bear with me because I am not the best writer, but I try to do my best in explaining different builds.
Pros / Cons
- good farmer mid-late game
- lots of aoe damage
- doesn't use mana
- excels in teamfights
- two stuns (passive and ult)
- sometimes focused
- generally must be in front in teamfights
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration - probably the best rune possible of all the marks, giving valuable magic penetration. a must have for kennen!
greater seal of vitality - kennen needs survivablilty. mid-late game, kennen will start to be focused more often and at level 18, these runes give you approx. 175 health!
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist - my personal favorite glyph. this rune helps you face that annoying mid caster Brand, Karthus, etc. i also recommend Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power, giving you about 27.5 ability power at level 18. this synergizes well with Rabadon's Deathcap.
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power - 15 ability power at level one is just too hard to ignore (well at least for me). i think this is the best option for a better early game
Greater Quintessence of Health - giving 78 health, this is a good option for beginning kennens. however, i do not feel the need for this as i am getting Veteran's Scars in my masteries.
I use 9-21-0, a pretty common build for kennen, giving him defense needed for rushing in team fights. i use 9 in offense for a small amount of ability power, magic penetration, and CDR.
The reason why I take one level of Q, W, and E is so I can apply a mark of the storm to an enemy. Max Thundering Shuriken first, giving some good harass and high single-target damage output. as teamfights start to appear mid-late game, i max out my first aoe skill Electrical Surge. in late game, the need for increased armor/mr when in teamfights gets higher, which is why I max Lightning Rush last. My ultimate, Slicing Maelstrom is maxed ASAP.
Thundering Shuriken and Electrical Surge. I use this build more often because I like balanced damage, not just one high-powered and one weak skill.
Viable Summoner Spells
: great for finishing off an enemy, especially when you need some extra damage. this also works well against heavy healers/health regen
: your main escape mechanism. also gives you the ability to blink through walls!
: i prefer some of the other ones more, but this can work on kennen. as they say, exhaust that AD carry!
: good for getting across the map quickly, sometimes to defend towers, etc etc.
Sorcerer's Shoes - 20 magic penetration well worth the cost. pretty self-explanatory
Rylai's Crystal scepter - a great item on kennen you should get around mid game. this gives you valuable health for survivablilty, 80 ability power for increased damage, and a great slow giving kennen even more cc over multiple enemies.
Will of the Ancients - i buy this item for it's 25% spell vamp aura. it's just amazing. i usually complete this item after rylai's crystal scepter depending on how the game goes. also, this is a great item for keeping yourself in the lane.
Zhonya's Hourglass - more ability power! also adds fifty armor for more protection and durability against DPS, and an awesome active which makes you untargateable, yet not able to attack/use spells.
Rabadon's deathcap - 140 ability power, and a passive adding 30% to your current AP. pretty much the god of all AP items, huh?
Abyssal Scepter - 70 ability power, and 57 mr to keep you somewhat durable against casters. also, the passive synergizes well with Slicing Maelstrom, as the enemies who are in your ultimate are affected.
Note that this build is a general build I use if the enemy team is a balance combination of AD and AP.
Other Viable Items
Mejai's Soulstealer - an high-risk item with high rewards. buy this if either you or your team is doing well
haunting Guise - a great item that could replace hextech revolver. cheap magic-penetration item also giving some health and ability power
Void Staff - works well if the other team has tanks/stacking magic resist
Moonflair spellblade - good if the other team has a lot of cc. honestly, i have only seen a few kennens get this item.
Quicksilver Sash - if I'm not mistaken, this item blocks Nether Grasp, infinite durress. however, i know for sure it blocks any other CC!
Nashor's Tooth - i seriously don't find the need for this, but if you feel the need to have your ultimate up more frequently (CDR), then go for it!
Special Note - Zhonya's Hourglass
When to use Zhonya's hourglass, you might ask?
- while activating your ultimate in team fights
- when you are about to die to an enemy. there is a chance your team can finish them off!
- against ultimates which kill you instantly if you are low. Examples: Ace in the Hole, Requiem, etc etc.
This item takes PRACTICE. but once you master it, zhonya's hourglass can save your life.
In this section, I will show you some different builds you should use against different enemies. I will also give a brief summary of why I choose to build this way.
Example build VS. a heavy AD team:
Example build VS. a heavy AP team:
Note that i still take zhonya's against an AP team for the active.
Example build VS. a heavy tank/beefy team:
Summary: My default build is against a team with a combination of AD and AP. It gives a sufficient amount of ability power, armor, magic resist, and spell penetration. You can also choose to get some items from the "Other Viable Items" section, depending on who you are facing.
Early Game (levels 1-6)
- Grab an Amplifying Tome and Health Potion, then walk towards mid (assuming you are to solo).
- Once creeps start to fight, last hit as much as possible. You do not worry about harassing yet as your abilities are only level 1.
- At level three, begin to harass with Thundering Shuriken as well as Electrical Surge. You should also still try to last hit.
- If you have a tough match-up such as Brand, Malzahar, etc. then try to just get last hits and not get zoned out.
- At level six, grab your ultimate. By this time you should have at least one or two amplifying tomes, possibly a hextech revolver, and boots.
- NOTE: at any point early game if you feel like you will die, feel free to go back!
Mid Game (levels 7-12)
- At this point you should have some ability power, and skills that do enough damage so you can gank.
- Stick with your team more often. Buy lots of wards and try to kill dragon if possible. Also, get more farm and at the same time try to gank enemies who are either weak or pushing close to a turret.
- By level 11-12, grab a Sorcerer's Shoes. at around 20 minutes you should have a Rylai's Crystal Scepter (depending on how well you are doing). this will help with ganks and still give enough survivability to take a few hits.
Late Game (levels 13-18)
- teamfights will start to come more often. make sure you stick with your team throughout this stage of the game.
- by level 15-16 try to get a Zhonya's Hourglass. this will come in handy as you teamfight more often. do not forget this DOES work on your ultimate!
- more turrets will be destroyed which means more pushing. generally, you should push as a team. your ability power will rise, and by now your armor/magic resist is increasing.
- if you win a teamfight, do not hesitate to push a tower or two, possibly an inhibitor, and take baron. this will give your team an important advantage against the opponent!
Knowing when to farm and where to push to can be important for not being ganked.
- generally, push/farm until you meet the first turret/river, then recall. this situation can change, such as if you have a lack of wards or missing turrets.
- when killing a creep wave, try to add a mark of the storm to each creep. you can do this by using Lightning Rush over every creep, then using Electrical Surge. this technique especially works well when your AP is very high.
This section will show you a general guide on what to do in team fights.
In teamfights, always make sure you rush in after the initiator. this will result in less damage taken/less crowd control effects on you.
once you have rushed in, activate Slicing Maelstrom so you can get as many champions as possible inside. spam Electrical Surge to damage all enemies hit by your ultimate. also use Thundering Shuriken.
During this time, if you are about to die, pop Zhonya's Hourglass. generally, i use this during my ultimate.
keep spamming Electrical Surge, and hope your screen doesn't turn black and white!
Kennen is a really fun and unique champion to play! Hope you enjoyed reading my first guide. I accept comments, good or bad, and if you want up or down vote my guide. I am also eager to receive suggestions. Have fun playing Kennen!