This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Cho'Gath Build Guide by FapTowel
NOMNOMNOM JUNGLE CREEPS - An In Depth Cho'Gath guideBy FapTowel | Updated on August 24, 2012
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
SPACEAnother thing before I get into the guide is that THIS IS NOT TO BE FOLLOWED 100% TO THE LETTER Change anything that you would feel better with, like building a Frozen Heart earlier or going 0-21-9 masteries or 21-9-0 I don't even follow this every game
SPACEFinally don't just down vote the guide because you do not like my build, comment about its flaws/typos and I will try and fix them.
spaceThere is a place between dimensions, between worlds. To some it is known as the Outside, to others it is the Unknown. To those that truly know, however, it is called the Void. Despite its name, the Void is not an empty place, but rather the home of unspeakable things - horrors not meant for minds of men. Cho'Gath is a creature born of the Void, a thing whose true nature is so awful most will not speak its name. Its fellows have been poking at the walls that divide dimensions for a crack, a way into Runeterra, where they can visit their own personal paradise of horror upon the world. They are called the Voidborn, creatures so ancient and terrible that they have been removed from history altogether. It is rumored that the Voidborn command vast armies of unspeakable creatures on other worlds, that they were once driven from Runeterra by powerful magic lost to antiquity.
spaceIf such tales are true, then the rumors that follow must be equally true - that one day, the Voidborn will return. Even now, something dark stirs in Icathia, perverting the summoning rituals of the League to allow the presence of Cho'Gath. It is an alien creature of malice and violence, a thing that causes all but the most stalwart to cringe in fear. Cho'Gath even appears to feed on its predations, growing and swelling as it gorges itself. Worse yet, the creature is intelligent, perhaps greatly so, making most wonder how such a monster could be contained. Fortunately, the power of the League's summoning has confined Cho'Gath's presence exclusively to the League of Legends. It is here that summoners use Cho'Gath's Voidborn abilities to help decide the fate of Runeterra. The Terror of the Void knows what fate it would choose for Runeterra, given half the chance.
"Woe betides the day when Cho'Gath grows weary of the League."
When my friend described cho'gath to me when I started playing LoL, the aspect that hit me was "... And he f*****g eats people!" It is still my favorite part of him today. I hope you will come to love this cuddly monster as much as me, and learn how to be a feared beast in game; stomping around the jungling with six stacks and 4000 health for the enemy to get down before they even proc get to your Guardian Angel.
For reds i take attack speed or magic penetration, attack speed helps the first clear a lot more and magic penetration helps a lot more late game, its all about preference
Armor Seals no matter what! This helps you survive in the jungle, if you don't own then and think you will die in the jungle start Cloth Armor Health Potionx5
As for blues take magic resistance, to keep you from getting bursted down by that pesky LeBlanc
Now the quints, I really only see two options here, magic pen if you don't take it as reds, or Flat AP if you take attack speed or magic penetration reds
- Mental Force Four more ability power, puts extra hurt in all your abilities
- Sorcery 4% Cooldown reduction, helps you jungle faster, dish out more spells in a team fight
- Arcane Knowledge 10% magic penetration finishes off the offence tree, helps you do more damage to the jungle creeps. When jungle creeps spawn you can actually do more damage than your abilities this, plus any runes you might be using for magic pen
First off I want to say I have received criticism for this part of my tree, feel free to respect any points to make it more comfortable with you
- Summoner's Resolve This is for the extra 10 gold in smite, i think it goes a long way, replace this point
- Resistance This is for 6 extra magic resistance incredibly useful
- Hardiness 6+ Armor good for the jungle and fights
- Tough Skin and Bladed Armor Now these 3 points move around, I take them to help me jungle faster. 2 reduced damage goes a long way. And 6 returned damage helps you more than you imagine
- Durability 6 Health per level, 108 at level 18, should be self explanatory. You don't want to be dying with all your precious stacks
- Veteran's Scars 30 Health, and more health is good health
That 2 points of damage add up.
Spoiler: Click to view
- Honor Guard 1.5% reduced damage, same as above late game it adds up with all your magic resist and armor
- Juggernaut This spell is amazing it gives your 3% bonus HP, 3500 hp you'll get a bonus 105 hp
Passive - Carnivore
- Keeps you sustained and alive to eat things in the jungle
- A important note when running from fights, this works with Smite, so smiting a minion while running can save you from that Ezreal's Mystic Shot or Ignite
Q - Rupture
- Magic Damage: 80 / 135 / 190 / 245 / 305 (+1.0 per ability power)
- I max this skill first for more damage and faster jungle clears
- After the bug fix is much easier to hit
- Does great AOE damage and a slow for ganking + faster jungling
- 1.0 AP scaling
- Can kill all the mage creeps at level 7, rank 4 of the skill
- ALSO GIVES VISION, use it to check bushes when you aren't sure that they are clear. Never face-check
W - Feral Scream
- Magic Damage: 75 / 125 / 175 / 225 / 275 (+0.7 per ability power)
- I max this skill last, I don't feel it's damage compete with that of Vorpal Spikes with its 13 second cool down. Leveling up the skill increases the damage, and increase the duration of the silence from 2-3 seconds and higher mana cost, it doesn't lower the cooldown . I feel maxing it last will give you enough of a silence for late game teamfights
- AOE silence 'nuff said
- Personally i don't use it for jungling because of its lake of damage and high cooldown, i just save it for ganks
- If you wanted the higher silence for the trade of dps with Vorpal Spikes max it second
E - Vorpal Spikes
- Magic Damage: 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80 (+0.3 per ability power)
- Taken at level 1 for fast initial jungle clear, maxed at second to increase dps in fights, along with faster jungling. You can max it second if you want the damage from feral scream
- IT GROWS WITH YOU, so when your at 6th stacks you will be hitting more in teamfights, not by much just worth saying
R - Feast
- 300 / 475 / 650 (+0.7 per ability power)
- If the target is killed, works on minions, Cho'Gath grows and gains extra health and attack range. This effect stacks up to 6 times and Cho'Gath loses half his stacks rounded up upon death.
- Second smite dealing 1000 true damage to minions to monsters
445, 470, 495, 520, 545, 570, 595, 620, 645, 695, 720, 745, 770, 795, , 845, 870
A must-take while jungling
Works with your passive
Helps secure the global objectives, Dragon, Baron, Buffs
Works with your passive
A 400 range blink towards the mouse cursor
Good gap closer/Escape
Can go over walls
Flash -> Feast OMONONOMNONON
*An Enemy has been slain
SPACERegarding summoner spells smite is a must have. Beyond that there are only three options in my opinion to replace flash with, they are list in the order of usefulness.
- Mercury's Treads The tenacity is amazing so is the magic resist, if I'm doing well I will swap these for Sorcerer's Shoes
- Rod of Ages This item is great it gives you more health and mana, while still giving a good amount of AP. Just a note, try and get this item before 20~ minutes in game, so you can make the most of its passive early
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter and Abyssal Mask I have grouped these together because I normally pick one of them, build my guardians angel, then build the next. I normally build Rylai's but if the enemy team has strong ap, Vladimir top and Brand mid, I would pick up the Abyssal first
- Guardian Angel I am crazy about this item, like it is so amazing I can't see a reason not to get it except when the game ends to fast, It gives a good amount of armor, and some magic resistance, and it helps you keep your stacks, aspecially a good purchase if you have a Mejai's Soulstealer its makes the GA even more viable for keeping you alive
SPACEFor your 6th item you can go many ways, Frozen Heart Randuin's Omen Rabadon's Deathcap are the three I take the most.
- Frozen Heart This item gives you a s**t ton of armor and a aura that slows attack speed around you, which is great because you will be in the thick of team fights, I take this item 50% of the time when the game last this long.
- Randuin's Omen Once again more armor, but this time with an active AOE slow, and passive chance to slow attack speed. I take this item off when their team is getting away in fights, and having a slow combined with a supports [wiiki= Shurelya's Reverie] can catch you any running foe. I get this 10% of the time
- Rabadon's Deathcap is a great item if you team doesn't have enough AP or you are tanky enough with your other items. I get this about 20% of the time
- Feel free to build whatever item you feel necessary
Boots of Swiftness
- 6 Feast Stacks
- Rod of Ages
- Finished boots, Mercury's Treads or Sorcerer's Shoes
- Good score, 5-0-x, x-0-8
SPACEOne last note, if your team has a Soraka Lulu, and you play smart, you shouldn't lose stacks, because tankiness+ Guardian Angel+ Wish+ Wild Growth you will be very difficult to kill, TWICE! And Wild Growth makes you EVEN BIGGER >:O
- Wolf camp is A
- Blue buff is B
- Wraith camp is C
- D is red buff
- E is double golems
- F is dragon
- G is baron
A -> B -> Try and gank top or mid C->D->E Try and gank bot or mid
But with chogath, you can pretty much start anywhere in the jungle if you start accordingly, as demostrated in this video from Stonewall008 explains.
And a more general route
As a final note for jungling, try and get damage on wolfs and blue as often as possible to let you clear faster
SPACE Post 6 you have a a great clear speed, and two smites for a total of 1570 almost instant true damage, Feast + Smite , allowing you to steal almost any enemy buff.
Junglers to be weary of are
- He has a strong slow Tempest
- A lot of lifesteal Iron Will if you find him low in his jungle, don't underestimate it
- Post 6 can kick Dragon's Rage you away from the buffs to safely smite
- This little d**k hole can just slow you with Two-Shiv Poison, fear you with Jack In The Box, and blink away with Deceive until his teammates arrive to kill you
- Jungling vs him focus on securing your own buffs before counter jungling his, when you do take the one opposite of where he is
- Just ganked bottom take his red(if he's on purple)
- He can clear very fast, fear you Unspeakable Horror , and block a spell of yours with Shroud of Darkness
- Although not as much of a ganking jungler as shaco don't counter jungle unless you're ahead of him or see him ganking another lane
I plan to add more to this list, and I already have people in mind, I just need to stop being lazy and add them.
SPACEWhen taking dragon you want to Feast + Smite. Try and land the killing blow with Feast to prevent it from being Smite stolen.
TL;DR Eat people. Feast + Smite Dragon.
- My friend Kevin for giving me inspiration to write a guide with his Katarina guide HERE
- jhoijhoi for the how to guide "guide" and fancy line dividers.
- Stonewall008 for making jungle videos of my favorite champion
- Friends for proof reading