Ornn Build Guide by mcasterix123
[S9.3] Ornn: A Jolly Ramble Through The Top Lane (Q max)By mcasterix123 | Updated on February 8, 2019
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Runes: Standard runes
+9 Adaptive (5.4 AD or 9 AP)
Ability Order Standard Q max
Threats & Synergies
While the 9.3 nerfs have hit him somewhat, he's still generally terrifying. Hold him at arms length, rush armour and if possible, sustain, and just wait for mid game where your ult should do more than his Q splishy splashy tantrum spam
*Laughs in patch 9.3 notes* While she still has access to the same damage as before, the fact you can easily CC her under your turret really mitigates her kill pressure.
Of course not all of CertainlyT's tomfuckery can get nerfed out of existence, presumably because he's shit himself during a hissy fit. Darius is indeed, still scary. However, if you can farm with Q, time your W with his E, and use E gratuitously, you can survive to the mid game. However, you really need to make sure he does get his dirty little fingers on your backline.
Cho'gath has a lot of sustain, and can match you quite well. He will be scary around 6, but you can play around him. In the mid to late game, this is where you and your team really appreciate the % max hp damage.
*Laughs in nerf* Seriously though, while you do use a lot of magic damage, Mundo loses hp even if he just uses his Q to farm. Just pick up a bramble vest or Executioner's, and hold him in place.
With Conqueror and Ignite, you need to, I repeat, NEED to give him some space the second that rage bar gets half way or so. Avoid letting him snowball, farm safely, and just wait for when you have enough durability to start trading with him.
Jax at the moment is pretty terrifying. Due to his mixed damage of all three types, you should avoid fighting on his terms. Try to E as his is just about to end so you can scoot away during the stun. The timing is tricky and is somewhat luck dependent, but it can be a real help.
It's kind of odd. On one hand you can just push him around if you avoid being too reckless, but at the same time, his W can nullify your Ult. You MUST only ulti when his W is down.
Champion Build Guide
• 10% increase to his armour and magic resistance
• Automatically receives up to two upgrades for free upon reaching level 13
• Can upgrade an item for a teammate once for every level after level 13
• Brittle damage increased from 7-13% to 12-20.5%
• Several increases to base stats increasing durability
• Can now upgrade a few new items
Q: Volacanic Rupture
• Reduced base damage
• Reduced slow
• Reduced mana cost
W: Bellow's Breath
• No longer gives a shield
• Duration reduced from 1 second to 0.75 seconds
• Now unstoppable for duration
• Cooldown is now 12 seconds at all levels
• Doesn't slow himself as much
E: Searing charge
• Mana cost is now 50 at all levels
• If cast as Q: Volcanic rupture's pillar begins to expire, it will remain until the end of Searing charge.
R: Call of the Forge god
• Slow is now very small at the start of the cast, increasing as the Forge God travels towards Ornn.
• Knock ups reduced in duration.
This simply isn't the optimal strategy any more. When Ornn is using his W, his movement is predictable allowing the opponent to plan accordingly. While this is mitigated by the reduction in cast length, it still leaves him open without a shield to make a bad trade more forgiving. In short, he can't really rely on just walking into the enemy and pressing W anymore.
Instead, I think Ornns need to be focussing more on their QEWauto combo, where Q is cast, Ornn E's into the pillar getting the knock up, then casting W during the knock up, proccing Brittle with an auto, then moving back. This is a more viable way of looking for trades because a) you don't have to put yourself at risk if they aren't close enough to the pillar, b) Brittle was buffed, making landing it reliably worth the extra mana and cooldown investment, and c) your W now lasts shorter than the Searing charge knockup length, so you should always land the last proc.
Obviously this is riskier against conqueror abusing bullies such as Daris, Renekton etc who can just go after you after the brittle proc, which leads to my next point.
1. Maxing W simply isn't worth it. Now the cooldown is standardised across all levels, 1% max hp damage isn't worth much levels 1-9. Against some squishier teams, it may even be beneficial to max W last. In lane, the buff to Brittle more than makes up for it, as at level 1, brittle was actually buffed by 5 % max hp damage IE more than the increase you get from rank 1 to rank 5 of W.
2. Having Q off CD sooner lets you poke and look for trades sooner. Losing the W shield means you have to take threats more seriously. If you're in a lane where one misstep can result in you dying, being able to pick up some extra CS from safety is very much appreciated. It also means that when you spot a chance to look for a trade, you'll have the initial set up available sooner.
I will also add here that Ornn is fantastic to gank for if the opponent is pushing in. His ultimate travelling down the lane can help corral the other top laner, even if the initial ram doesn't hit, plus is good at getting a flash out at the start of the gank so you can use your follow up CC after.