This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Talon Build Guide by MistaMista
Talon - Now You See Me, Now You Don't( a different approach)By MistaMista | Updated on August 27, 2011
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
The assassination attempts grew increasingly dangerous until one assailant met Talon blade-for-blade in a match of strength. To his surprise, Talon was disarmed and facing down his executioner's sword when the assassin revealed himself to be General Du Couteau. The General offered Talon the choice between death at his hand, or life as an agent of the Noxian High Command. Talon chose life, on the condition that his service was to Du Couteau alone, for the only type of orders he could respect were from one he could not defeat. Talon remained in the shadows, carrying out secret missions on Du Couteau's orders that took him from the frigid lands of Freljord to the inner sanctums of Bandle City. When the general vanished, Talon considered reclaiming his freedom, but he had gained immense respect for Du Couteau after years in his service. He became obsessed with tracking down the general's whereabouts. Talon's suspicions led him to the doors of the Institute of War, where he joined the League of Legends in order to find those responsible for Du Couteau's disappearance.
''The three deadliest blademasters in all of Valoran are bound to the house of Du Couteau: my father, myself, and Talon. Challenge us, if you dare.'' - Katarina Du Couteau
1. Great Burst Damage!
2. Easy to get in and out of fights
3. Overall Low Cool down
4. Singling out targets for easy kills.
1. Squishy, low armor and Magic Resist. Very easy to die
2. Ability reliant for escaping.
3. Low Stealth time of 2.5 seconds during ult. Blades give away which direction you run to, juke ability become limited.
- True Damage, nuff said
- This can be a great skill for Talon, though i tend not to use it. Frozen Mallet is enough to slow any target enough to not get away. and with Talon damage output, most champs barely last a couple seconds against him. only tanky champs are true threats, due to not being able to quickly kill them off, giving them time to deal damage to you. try to avoid these champs, unless you have a clear advantage.
- I do not feel this is needed for Talon. with + or CUTTHROAT it takes care of quickly chasing a fleeing champ, or escaping and fleeing yourself. but if you are having trouble getting away, then i recommend grabbing ghost over ignite.
- Pointless skill. never use it. for any champ. you die, come back, only to die again. countless times i have seen players die, revive, run back into a fight, only to die within second all over again.
- well....i mean....if you need it?
- leave the teleporting to tanks and those who back door. your job is to kill.
- what does this even do?????
i choose to go with 0, 21, 9. the reason being, Talon has amazing damage output - but low armor and magic resist. I have no problems killing early, mid, or late game with Talon. Thus, investing in his ability to survive seemed to be the better choice to me.
- This adds to the mastery set up. increasing his ability to survive, especially in laneing phase/early game when farming is very important.
- Same as the Seals, it only adds to the mastery setup, increasing his ability to survive.
Greater Mark Of Desolation and Greater Quintessence of Desolation - i mean...its armor penetration. can't go wrong with armor penetration with Melee DPS Champ.
- being able to use Talon Burst Abilities more often, can mean a big difference in fights.
and Greater Quintessence Of Vigor- add to the mastery setup, and again, helps him survive, which is Talon biggest downfall. He is extremely squishy.
For starters, play smart. i like to lane with tanky champs such as Cho`Gath . allowing them to take control of the fights. the plan is to use these tanky champs as bait, wait for an opportunity, and strike. gaining the kill and hopefully saving a laneing partner from dying. I have found that talon isn't much of an Auto-Attacker like is. It is best to jump into fights, combo, get out of the fight and wait for your cool downs. picking off low health champions, or assist team mates when you have the advantage of 2+ vs 1.
Use to farm creeps. it is an great way to earn those last hits on multiple targets at once. dealing out good damage with a slow effect for any champs that might get in the path. this normally scares other champs. thinking you used the attacked, to slow, get in place, and go for the kill. thus, you will see them pull back often after being attack, taking away from possible last hits. all in all, it is great for early harassment.
First Trip Back grab Beserker's Boots and if you have the gold and OR if you have enough to buy it straight.
EDIT* replaced Beserker's boots with Boots of Swiftness
2. +Cutthroat + Auto-Attack +
3. +Cutthroat + Auto-Attack + +
Shadow Assault Tips And Tricks.
gives a big boost in speed. with slowing your target, you will be free to move anywhere you want without having to worry about your target following, or escaping. i love using this to get away from a team fight or single targets i know i can't beat. after using, all enemies in range, will be slowed, while stealth, you can quickly move out of the crowd. Personally, I like to rush into team fights when i know my team is right behind me. Using the number 2 combo, diving in, then quickly using and running out. dealing damage on the way in, and out. most of the time, the weakling(which should be the target) will die or be left with little to no health. as your stealth ends, the blades will return to you, dealing additional damage, while you are safety behind team mates. at this point, use Rake. try to aim it at the largest group of foes gathered so you can get the most of your skill. by this time your cool downs should be about refreshing. most of the enemy team dead, and u can dive back in to take out any low health champ trying to escape. i know many might think this is a cowards move. but when it comes to talon, its ok. he excels at getting in and out of team fights. quick burst, escape, repeat. but he can easily be caught by a crowd control effect that will make him useless and quickly killed off.
SIDE NOTE :
Using Stealth to gank. DONT DO IT.
1. when u activate the skill, it can be heard, even if in the brush
2. you have 2.5 second window to get into place for Cutthroat. if a champ is paying attention and hears the ult, he will quickly move into the bushes, stopping you from being able to target, you will lose your stealth.
3. is a two pong attack. Going out. Coming Back in. using it when you are no where near the target you are ganking, you are losing a critical hit that does a good amount of damage. overall waste. show yourself. Use Coat throat to close the gap. Q, Auto attack, Rake to slow, Shadow Assault and if they are still alive, the slow will still be into effect to chase down your fleeing target and finish the job.
is a amazing item all around. combined with , it gives you 55% chance of landing a crit.
is a must have due to Talon Passive Mercy.
Double . great attack damage, life steal. you can't ask for more.
- this work just as well as Frozen Mallet. because you have effect, you will not lose damage out and you have a 25% chance of actually doing more damage then then you would with Frozen Mallet. However, i prefer the 100% slow. i feel that talon damage out is amazing enough, and would rather have a promising slow, then extra damage that i don't seem to need.
Guardians Angel - i recommend this item ONLY because of Talon can easily get caught up in crowd controlling effects. normally when he is, he will be targeted and taking out of the fight first. with Guardians Angel, after your "reborn" you can quickly use Shadow Assault and escape, while still doing damage(possibly picking up kills or assist) and denying the other team the kill. i choose this instead of but the Quicksilver Sash is also a great item for Talon to invest in. my problem, was even after clearing crowd control effects, i was receiving so much damage, getting "cleansed" was pointless because i was dead within seconds.
- i have seen this item on many Talon. personally, i do not favor it. again, Talon is not a Auto-Attack champ, thus the attack speed isn't really needed much here. the Tenacity to reduce the duration of crowd control effects goes back to the reason i pick up Guardians Angel instead of Quicksilver Slash. plus you would get a good amount of attack speed from a Phantom Dancer(along with the crit and most importantly, movement speed)