Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Toshabi's Chamber of Critique

Creator: Toshabi December 15, 2014 10:07am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 1, 2015 2:22pm | Report

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this :3

So just going through on this one, I like the concept, I love the graphic and I love the color palette you chose for this one. The cool colors definitely do play on the words of this one. The only thing this one suffers is readability. It's hard to keep readability with cooler colors and transparent text because there simply isn't enough value going on in the picture (value as in darks to light ratio). So to do this while keeping the mood, you need to add in some value to the transparent text in order to beef up readability. Below, I've offered one method of doing this.

Why did I choose that light going through the center?

If you look at the original raster graphic, you'll notice that Zed has this reflected light off of the front of his mask. This gives you room to play around with light values in the background. All I did was eye dropper some of the highlights off of the front of his mask (adding it in REALLY complements the graphic overall), make a color dodge layer, mask out the zed on this new layer and go over it with an 6% opacity stroke across the center in a wavy pattern. I additionally went over it with al ighter grey on an overlay layer to help light up some areas that needed a bit more love with a brush set at 10% hardness, about 150 pts in diameter and with opacity set to 7%. It gives a bit of a light glow effect that one might see in a dark room or in a dark setting. It's a way of introducing light colors for a environment that's meant to be dark (see anything Dark Souls related).

Additionally, you should avoid having the first word of a title not capitalized, you have to think of it like fitting a frame. The capitalized letter will help begin the frame of it all. I didn't have the type face you used, so I just erased the T and redrew it as best as I could with a mouse.

Next, you need to kern the M and A in MASTER together. Like my professor would say, I could fit my entire *** into that spacing. It's especially tricky when you play with the font sizing like that, you need to really pay close attention to that kerning. I would move it over a bit more so that the A leg nests underneath the serif of the M.

Lastly, we read from left to right. You had a nice flow going on with the framing of your typography, however at the end, you sort of throw the "a guide by IPodPulse" off into the center. I've went ahead and moved it over to the right to keep the flow of your type consistent.

Overall you did well on this piece, you just need to be more mindful of how your type reads overall, especially when working in a darker/cooler color range. And with colors, always be sure to incorporate the entire palette and spread it evenly throughout the image. Color theory wise, this will help balance the pick and piece everything together overall. When working with backgrounds such as the gradient you chose, this is simple to accomplish with the eye dropper tool and a soft brush.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this critique, please let me know.
IceCreamy wrote:

(1:07): I prefer your balls over ***hol

The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2015 10:25pm | Report
How is this then?
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2015 10:36pm | Report
Much much better readability on that.

And remember, if you're unsure about readability and how it stacks value wise with your background, take your completed work and drop the saturation down on it (go greyscale). It gives you a much better perspective on how your text stands.
jhoijhoi wrote:

Also, I think the levels of immorality in this thread are astounding. You'd really throw a child off a boat for your own luggage? Wow.

The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2015 10:42pm | Report
Er, did I fix the spacing on that font well enough?
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 4, 2015 9:43am | Report
Yup! That's strong typography. Just remember, you wanna always be mindful of spacing when it comes to the letter T with slanted characters (and lower case letters in general) and other round letters like O,C,D, ect. See the below chart for common letter combinations/types that need kerning the most (And also note, kerning is needed for font sizes 18+ in most cases).

IceCreamy wrote:

The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 4, 2015 9:54am | Report
Thanks...It's fun talking about this stuff, there should be a thread for it.
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 4, 2015 10:13am | Report
That's why I made this thread. I find it better to do and then get critiqued than to just discuss it in general. At least that's how I prefer learning it anyways. I'll probably end up making a designer discussion thread where I'll post some class notes and lectures down the road from my college. We'll see when time goes on.

Next class for me atm is going to be digital imaging, which encompasses the use of photoshop for photo correction and all the likes of that. If anything useful churns up that can apply to signature making, I'll create a thread for it.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 4, 2015 10:16am | Report
Ooh, I've done some photo correction for the hell of it in the past. Fun times.
Darealone
<Member>
Darealone's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 4, 2015 12:43pm | Report

Halp...and yeah the border is........yeah...
I main...the entire top lane.
I miss: Tank Rengar top, AD Nidalee, Mash Keyboard Ryze...the OPs
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 4, 2015 8:20pm | Report
How much of the above image did you compose? And can I have your source images?
IceCreamy wrote:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide