Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Can AP Shyvana actually be viable?

Creator: tehAsian January 1, 2012 8:25pm
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 1, 2012 8:25pm | Report
So lately I've been thinking. 3/4 of Shyvana's skills scale with AP(Yes, even Twin Bite. And with enough AP, because of Flame Breath's on-hit effect, technically it adds to your AD. Flame Breath is also your main source of harassment and damage early game, so why not abuse it with ap? also, your ulti scales decently(not well) with ap, BUT it's a linear AoE attack, so it actually scales pretty high, and it knocks back.

Basically, AP Shyvana works because:

• High early game damage means you can spend time without too many damage items(the main problem with most ad carries going ap[ex. Gangplank, Ezreal, etc])
  • Flame Breath reduces armor, not magic resist. This is GOOD, the damage from Lich Bane is AMPLIFIED, since Lich Bane deals physical damage.
  • Flame Breath has a debuff that lets you do an additional 15% of the skill's damage on marked targets. This may not seem like a lot, but it actually is. Let's say you have 600 AP. 0.6*600 = 360. 0.15*360 = 54. That's more damage than a B.F. sword, PER HIT.
  • Twin Bite is basically a double hit. If the above is true, you can auto attack, then Twin Bite for 162 damage extra damage. Again, it's not a lot, but it can add up.
  • Twin Bite in dragon form is an AoE. Every target hit will receive the same on-hit effects as if you hit them all individually once. That means everyone marked with Flame Breath will receive extra damage, and you have an AoE Lich Bane every few seconds.
  • Dragon's Descent scales decently with AP. After resistances, on an AD build the most you can hit is probably a weak 250. With the same 600 AP, you can hit 0.7*600 = 480 + 400 = 880*0.625 = 550.
  • Your kiting problem is fixed with Rylai's Crystal Scepter. They Flash away after you ulti? Burnout(which does MAGIC damage) and Flame Breath, BOTH slow, and you can close the gap pretty quick.
  • No on-hit slow? I don't think so. Flame Breath's proc deals magic damage. You don't even need Burnout.
  • Need attack speed? Nashor's Tooth and/or Guinsoo's Rageblade. Not to mention Guinsoo's Rageblade is the most cost efficient item, and since Shyvana doesnt need to target anything with any of her skills, can almost indefinitely keep up the stacks. So we're looking at 35 AD, 32% AS, and 93 AP.
  • The only problem I see here is having the same amount of tankiness as regular AD offtank Shyvana.
  • If you Opt for a Hextech Gunblade and Guinsoo's Rageblade, you have pretty decent AD too, with spellvamp, with lifesteal.
  • AP Shyvana can still jungle. Start with a Vampiric Scepter and build it into a Hextech Gunblade. It also solves having no CC.
  • If the Flame Breath debuff doesn't last long enough, it doesnt matter. With enough Cooldown reduction, it lowers the cooldown to 4.4 seconds. The debuff lasts 4 seconds. You can have it on them almost constantly.

I made this list up as I typed it :p Sorry if it's unorganized.
So, any thoughts on this?
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 1, 2012 10:43pm | Report
Running both Hextech and Guinsoo's implies a Hybrid build, I prefer Malady. You just need Hextech but otherwise yeah it is viable. the main issue is Lich Bane and Hextech Gunblade are core items. other thoughts include Abyssal Mask to help tankiness and your AP along as well as further debuff for you magic damage.
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 1, 2012 11:17pm | Report
Quoted:
Running both Hextech and Guinsoo's implies a Hybrid build

Really? I cant do that and put Lich Bane and rabadon in then call it ap?
Hybrid shyv looking pretty good now :p
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 1, 2012 11:20pm | Report
Considering you have 2 AD items and a physical proc, I'd call that hybrid ^^
Thanks to Lugignaf for the sig!
example1013
<Member>
example1013's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 2, 2012 2:08pm | Report
You're going at it wrong. Shyvana does a lot of magic damage, but only E directly scales off AP. E is an unreliable skillshot with a short duration and a relatively long cooldown that's easy to miss and even easier to block (when not in dragon form, but even then you have range issues). You'll most likely get more damage out of Shyvana by going AD/magic damage (which is perfectly viable with items like Madred's, Wit's End, and Malady), because you'll be splitting physical and magic damage to attack both types of resistances, making you much harder to build against.

When you're talking about an AP build, you're talking about building around a single power, similar to AP Ashe. It's certainly boosted quite a bit by your passive, but I'd still rather use an on-hit build (trin, madred's/wit's end), where you can build directly to Q and W instead of indirectly.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2012 11:31am | Report
Answer;

Probably not.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide