Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

jhoijhoi's ranked journey of teh luls (oce)

Creator: jhoijhoi July 31, 2012 10:52pm
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 3, 2014 4:50am | Report
You actually enjoy playing Taric? Or do you think he's good...?

Also why not face of the mountainFOTM?
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 4, 2014 12:29am | Report
I enjoy playing Taric and I think that I do quite well with him, because I know how he works. However, I'm aware that there are better tanky supports, like Braum and Leona. I think Taric requires less skill than the aforementioned supports, which is why I revert to Taric when I'm not sure which support to play. I also enjoy playing Janna and Karma; my choices in supports don't really correlate with whether they are good or not.

I do think Taric is a reliable support. I know many think that his ult and W are weak supporting abilities, but I think they contribute a great deal to teamfights. As for why I didn't have FotM - that came down to the fact that I thought Thresh and Ashe would punish me beyond recovery if I went in for the last hits (previous games with Taric and FotM have not gone well for that reason, Taric is easy to poke and kite). But the Thresh in that game was pretty awful. Upgraded to Talisman because we were winning once Maokai came back, and I felt the active would be useful for the team.

tldr; Taric is fun to play and he's reliable. No FotM because I thought I'd be kited to death by Ashe when going for last hits.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Janitsu ♡
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 4, 2014 1:25am | Report
Taric seems to fall in the vein of champions who are either overpowered or virtually unplayable, with almost nothing in between, because riot seems to be unable to balance his kit.

I'd suggest you pick up Nami, because she's generally really strong and very reliable once you figure her out, but if you're not worried about picking "good picks" then it probably doesn't matter.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 4, 2014 1:42am | Report
If you want reliability go Nami or Morgana. There is generally no scenario in which either of these picks are bad currently. (except Morgana getting banned.)
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 4, 2014 10:53pm | Report
J
H
O
I

S4: Game 39

J
H
O
I
VICTORY
BANS:

What I Know
Being first pick isn't very fun.
The Janna is going to be disengaging every initiate on our team, and the Singed is going to pretty much be a raging **** all game.
*******it, Lee Sin.

What I Want to Know
Will Tryn do well this game?
Who wins the Ori vs Syndra matchup? My first thought would be Ori.
Seeing as there's a Riot employee in this match, will both teams be less toxic?

What I Learnt
Presence of a Riot employee has no effect on the enemy team, but I felt as if my team was very encouraging and did not complain about mistakes.
******* Lee Sin, Smite stealing everything :(
No one cares if get outSmited for 3 dragons, as long as you Smite Baron :D
I'm not a very good Trundle jungler, and I need to work heavily on my Smite battling.

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 13, 2014 6:49pm | Report
J
H
O
I

S4: Game 40

J
H
O
I
DEFEAT
BANS:

What I Know
They have a LOT of AP on their team, I'm going to need to spec in magic resist.
I'll be up against Malz or Xerath; I'd prefer to be against Malz, as I'm not entirely familiar with Xerath's kit.
Our team is not tanky enough.

What I Want to Know
Whether Twitch + Fiddles beats Cait + Thresh.

What I Learnt
Twitch was a powerhouse, and it didn't help that two of our team members thought Scrying Orb was the best choice against invisibility.
Morgana is so extremely safe. I already knew this, but yah. She's way too easy. I should have skipped upgrading Chalice and went for more straight up damage to contribute to our team's lack of it. Also, need to land more of those snares; "they moved at the last second" is not really an excuse, I should be predicting where they're gonna go.
I need to be more aggressive. I could have shut Malz down in lane after killing him the first time, but I played passively and just farmed.
I think I was put out/started losing motivation/started thinking we'd lose when I tele'd bot lane, ulted 3 people and had no follow up from my three allies there (Lee, Cait and Thresh).
Muting someone earlier would have been much better for my morale. Thresh was negative all game for no reason, claiming Cait is a bad champ, double AP comps are stupid, that Lee was horrible, if I made one mistake he'd say "Nice snare" or "Great ult". It really was demoralising and I felt better immediately when I muted him. I do think he was detrimental to team cohesion.
Lee Sin is still great for Smite stealing. Our Lee was okay, but redeemed all his mistakes by Smite stealing baron flawlessly.
Jesus Christ it's hard to win a game when another lane gets stomped. Our Cait wasn't bad, but they were SO shut down. We had basically no physical damage due to their itemisation and lack thereof.

♡ sig by marcospyder ♡
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 13, 2014 7:02pm | Report
^ Instead of Banshees, Abyssal works perfectly. I think Chalice > Zhonya > Abyssal would've suited your needs, or placehold a Negatron cloack and get Liandry. 3rd option would've been RoA, it's pretty decent on morg since it makes her lane phase even easier to fly through.

Also sometimes there's just nothing you can do. You kept a pretty good score despite the overal match scores so you either played your best, positioned well and didn't die or you weren't bold enough, but I'm guessing there's not much else you could've gotten out of that game. Also, the two scrying orbs vs fid/twitch. God.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 13, 2014 7:07pm | Report
I wouldnt say that lane necessarily beats Cait/Thresh, but you're in gold like me and people **** up a lot in gold. Fiddle is a pretty snowbally support, and Twitch is a pretty cheese (pun intended, No, I won't leave) champ, so together they prey on mistakes.

Side note, I highly question your double AP, double TP comp. Team was squishy as hell, yo.
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 13, 2014 7:07pm | Report
Heyya jhoi, idk how seriously you wanna climb but I gotta point one thing out that caught my eye:

jhoijhoi wrote:
► I need to be more aggressive. I could have shut Malz down in lane after killing him the first time, but I played passively and just farmed.

This is exactly the sort of mistake that keeps people from climbing higher. It doesn't really matter if you only died 2 times and out-performed the enemy laner, soloq is all about creating an advantage and capitalizing on it till you turn the game in a massive snowball that's rolling down in your favor xD (It's good that you realized it, but you really have to capitalize on it too)

Also, as a general tip I've learned through my entire ranked experience, if you get in promos and/or are extremely determined to win you should definitely try playing botlane with a premade partner. Stomp lane till your adc can 1v2 and then roam mid to help get the turret and zone/kill the enemy mid laner. If you want to win, you have to rely on yourself and CRUSH :'D

Good luck! :)

EDIT:
FalseoGod wrote:
Also, the two scrying orbs vs fid/twitch. God.

I was always under the impression that scrying orb is a pretty good buy on ADC's regardless, and that it's especially useful vs fiddle if you suspect a crow storm party coming your way o.o

Also, while they do nothing that counters invisibility directly you can use it to scout areas you believe twitch is hiding in so you see his positioning and can proceed to catch him out

I don't think getting scrying orb was such a horrible idea but they probably didn't use it correctly anyway so meh
Thanks to Koksei for the sig!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 13, 2014 7:19pm | Report
FalseoGod wrote:
^ Instead of Banshees, Abyssal works perfectly. I think Chalice > Zhonya > Abyssal would've suited your needs, or placehold a Negatron cloack and get Liandry. 3rd option would've been RoA, it's pretty decent on morg since it makes her lane phase even easier to fly through.

I grabbed Banshee's, but didn't really need it. I think I got it because I was thinking along the lines of "they've got so much magic damage, what's the best counter?" and not "I need more damage AND survivability". I agree Abyssal would have been much better and easier to build up.
FalseoGod wrote:
Also sometimes there's just nothing you can do. You kept a pretty good score despite the overal match scores so you either played your best, positioned well and didn't die or you weren't bold enough, but I'm guessing there's not much else you could've gotten out of that game. Also, the two scrying orbs vs fid/twitch. God.

My 2nd and last death was actually at the edge of fountain, lol, wherein the enemy team dove me as they had minions taking the nexus. My only death was a REALLY stupid engage on a full-health enemy (I wasted Flash going in, and didn't have Zhonya's at the time). I definitely played too cautiously. I was always positioned well and never got caught, but yes, was way too cautious. The Scrying Orb thing made me shake my head.
I wouldnt say that lane necessarily beats Cait/Thresh, but you're in gold like me and people **** up a lot in gold. Fiddle is a pretty snowbally support, and Twitch is a pretty cheese (pun intended, No, I won't leave) champ, so together they prey on mistakes.

Yeah, bot lane was getting rolled. I can't imagine how Cait managed to stay in the game and not afk though, as allied Thresh was really rude and condescending, eager to point out ally mistakes, but never apologising for his own. Our bot lane was just completely stomped.
Side note, I highly question your double AP, double TP comp. Team was squishy as hell, yo.

Yeah, very squishy. I would have loved an Amumu/Naut/Malph jungle to help with initiations and tankiness. I had Tele because I don't think Ignite is necessary on Morgana, and I wanted to be able to help the other lanes (tried, but didn't work). War plays Tele Veigar because he doesn't make use of Ignite; War was camped pretty hard throughout the game, and Lee fed Xerath kills, so he had a hard time mid, meaning he didn't get the normal scores he's used to.
XeresAce wrote:
Heyya jhoi, idk how seriously you wanna climb but I gotta point one thing out that caught my eye: ... This is exactly the sort of mistake that keeps people from climbing higher. It doesn't really matter if you only died 2 times and out-performed the enemy laner, soloq is all about creating an advantage and capitalizing on it till you turn the game in a massive snowball that's rolling down in your favor xD

I know exactly what you mean, and I know I should have kept on harassing him. I think that I'm not confident enough when I play in roles I'm not too familiar with. To be fair, top lane Morgana is identical to mid lane Morgana, but without the blue buff. I'll keep your advice in mind and definitely push an advantage. Taking Malz out of the game would have made me stronger and their team weaker - it may have been enough to MAYBE win the game (though not likely with how badly bot lane was doing).
XeresAce wrote:
Also, as a general tip I've learned through my entire ranked experience, if you get in promos and/or are extremely determined to win you should definitely try playing botlane with a premade partner. Stomp lane till your adc can 1v2 and then roam mid to help get the turret and zone/kill the enemy mid laner. If you want to win, you have to rely on yourself and CRUSH :'D

Good luck! :)

Unfortunately I find it's the opposite :/ My duo and I will stomp bot lane, but the other lanes will fail very hard. I've been running on the "don't put all your eggs in one basket" sort of mentality. Maybe it's time to try running bot lane kill lanes to get that advantage. I think there's also a problem with me knowing when to call shots. A lot of the games I lose tend to be ones where my team (including me) are wandering around like headless chooks, not really doing anything by stalling a loss.

Thanks everyone for the tips! I'll take them on board for sure.

♡ sig by Jovy ♡

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide