Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account






Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

7.4 Tier List + AMA

Creator: H4xDefender February 20, 2014 5:06pm
4307 posts - page 306 of 431
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
385
Joined:
Feb 18th, 2013
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2015 8:19pm | Report
She's a zone control champion. Think of her like Heimerdinger. If you attack her in her zone of control, you'll get murdered. Get her to move out of her zone and she's really easy to kill. Ranged characters, especially mobile ones, counter her since they can kill her tentacles easily and she's not very mobile herself.
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
385
Joined:
Feb 18th, 2013
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2015 8:36pm | Report
All this discussion of Deathfire Touch got me thinking that maybe Galio is due for a small resurgence in special circumstances where the enemy team has overloaded on AP characters. After all, Galio will be able to heal himself off of the ticks on Deathfire Touch using his shield. Also, he's considered a melee character, but he can trigger Grasp of the Undying using his ranged Q spell, giving him both harass damage and health sustain simultaneously. I'm not saying he should be placed in tier 1 in any lane, but the recent changes could have given him a small boost relative to other characters that could make him interesting in certain circumstances.
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
5764
Joined:
Feb 2nd, 2011
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 24, 2015 10:27pm | Report
the reason galio isn't good is because his kit doesn't fit into anywhere.
full ap? low tankiness, low damage, low range, high cds compared to other mages.
tanky? low cc, unreliable initiate compared to other initiate tanks.
he has an overall low power spike even without items.

just because a champ seems "powerful" when he is picked into a team that seemingly plays into his kit doesn't mean that the champ will be good. Even if an enemy team had numerous ap, I would rather pick alternative champions over galio. It's all about how certain champs fit into the optimal way to play the game.

People often fall into the trap of only looking at "champion kits" disregarding every single other aspect of the game.

Enemy team full ad? "oh rammus or malphite would counter them all." That's not necessarily true. You have to look at the circumstances surrounding the kit. When are the champs strong? When is this idealistic scenario most likely to occur? Malphite and rammus require scaling into mid game to do well. If you're against a full ad team and pick a team of scaling champions with malphite and rammus you can still easily lose the game if the enemy team plays right.

look at the game mechanics before digging into champion kits and you'll remove a lot of unnecessary misinformation.
Out Of Pancakes
<Inhouse Addict>
Out Of Pancakes's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
524
Joined:
Sep 14th, 2013
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2015 12:25am | Report
MungoGeri wrote:
Also, he's considered a melee character, but he can trigger Grasp of the Undying using his ranged Q spell


Grasp of the Undying's tooltip says "attack", as opposed to "abilities". I'm pretty sure it only works on auto-attacks, doesn't it?
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
3037
Joined:
Jan 25th, 2011
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2015 2:09am | Report
Embracing wrote:
the reason galio isn't good is because his kit doesn't fit into anywhere.
full ap? low tankiness, low damage, low range, high cds compared to other mages.
tanky? low cc, unreliable initiate compared to other initiate tanks.
he has an overall low power spike even without items.

just because a champ seems "powerful" when he is picked into a team that seemingly plays into his kit doesn't mean that the champ will be good. Even if an enemy team had numerous ap, I would rather pick alternative champions over galio. It's all about how certain champs fit into the optimal way to play the game.

People often fall into the trap of only looking at "champion kits" disregarding every single other aspect of the game.

Enemy team full ad? "oh rammus or malphite would counter them all." That's not necessarily true. You have to look at the circumstances surrounding the kit. When are the champs strong? When is this idealistic scenario most likely to occur? Malphite and rammus require scaling into mid game to do well. If you're against a full ad team and pick a team of scaling champions with malphite and rammus you can still easily lose the game if the enemy team plays right.

look at the game mechanics before digging into champion kits and you'll remove a lot of unnecessary misinformation.


I feel like support galio could work if you have a kalista on your team to throw you in. Might not be bad, other than that, ya hes pretty terrible
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
1069
Joined:
May 31st, 2015
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2015 4:13am | Report
Galio's main issues are that his ultimate has a 5 minute cooldown ( Flash is required to close the gap between you and the enemy team), unless you (by some sort of divine intervention) happen to be well positioned to land your Idol of Durand AND he's a mana junkie. Like, he's even worse than Ziggs regarding mana costs, but at least Ziggs has a ranged AA, while Galio is melee. The removal of Crystalline Flask was even worse.

Also, I disagree that Full AP Galio has low damage. He has amazing base damage and decent enough scalings. It DOES make him super squishy, but you are also an ginormous poke hazard.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
6243
Joined:
Mar 21st, 2012
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2015 4:14am | Report
The more I look at it, the more I'm sure there's hardly no point getting DFT over Thunderlord's. Even DoT champs like Swain and Malzahar can proc it with relative ease (swain Q E AA, Malz E W AA). Ranged and a mage already makes it pretty easy.

Fun fact: Heimerdinger can proc Thunderlord's with W if you hit 3 missiles from the ability.
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
385
Joined:
Feb 18th, 2013
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2015 5:53am | Report
FalseoGod wrote:
The more I look at it, the more I'm sure there's hardly no point getting DFT over Thunderlord's. Even DoT champs like Swain and Malzahar can proc it with relative ease (swain Q E AA, Malz E W AA). Ranged and a mage already makes it pretty easy.

Fun fact: Heimerdinger can proc Thunderlord's with W if you hit 3 missiles from the ability.


It's not the ability to proc it that's the issue. It's the (now) 20 second cooldown and the fact that it can only be used against one enemy. It's a sustained damage versus burst trade-off. If you're an assassin, Thunderlord's will likely be better. If you're a poke champ with aoe, then DFT will be better.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
8064
Joined:
Jun 24th, 2011
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2015 6:14am | Report
Thunderlord feels like it's straight up much better for everyone except maybe special cases like Brand, no idea why they buffed it. The damage on DFT feels non-existent.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
6243
Joined:
Mar 21st, 2012
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 25, 2015 7:52am | Report
I know it has a CD, but it's still worth taking over the alternative IMO. I'd rather win lane with it than hope DFT will scale well enough with me mid/lategame
Thank you Tsuki for the sig!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide