Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Is your favorite champion well designed?

Creator: OTGBionicArm November 10, 2014 5:49pm
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
HiFromBuddha's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 11, 2014 10:50pm | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:
My favorite champion is Irelia, but honestly, I'm not sure whether I should say yes or no.

As an Irelia player, I love the reset mechanic on her Q and I really like the way her E works, too. I feel like her kit makes her a great champion for players who are new to top lane as it makes her good at last hitting, trading and controlling the position of creep waves. At the same time, she also has a very high skill cap as I can definitely feel myself getting better and better at her the more I play her. Make no mistake about it, playing this champion is great.

Having said that, playing against her is frustrating. Going even against her early on is generally not enough because of how well she scales with levels and items, and even in lanes in which you're ahead against her she will still start bursting you hard once she picks up a Sheen. Obviously you should try to stay away from low hp minions so she doesn't easily get in range to stun you while still having another dash up, but at times I still feel like there isn't enough counterplay to her playstyle/combo. For example, I played Lissandra against her earlier today, and even though I used my W on her immediately every time she'd get close by dashing to a minion / me, I would still get chunked to ~30% HP almost instantly because of her stun and follow-up damage of W/R.

To quote on this, Irelia was designed in an era where fighters/bruisers had a very unclear role within the game. There was not set design, so a lot of the champions of Irelia's sort are very odd. Irelia specifically was incredibly experimental. They completely overloaded her kit with a lot of really good things. Sustain, mobility, damage, crowd control, as well as some other things including the mechanic on Equilibrium Strike. The fact that her kit was so overloaded caused her to constantly be nerfed over and over again, hence creating the "Better Nerf Irelia" meme.

However, instead of giving her clear, defined areas where she excels and where she doesn't, Riot instead decided to nerf all the things about her until they reached a point of being "Ok". Irelia is just an average pick where there is nothing that she is amazing at. She just does a whole bunch of things to an acceptable standard, causing to not really fit any niche within the game, but rather as a pick for when you want something incredibly well rounded. Being well rounded however means that there are no clear weaknesses. Winning against her in lane disadvantages you because it puts you in place for an on demand two second stun whenever Irelia wants to. I feel like people shouldn't be punished for winning, much like the case with Veigar.

Thank you to MissMaw for the signatures!
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 12, 2014 3:06am | Report
The most frustrating about Irelia is that you pretty much don't know when you're going to get stunned and can't play around it. Sure, if she reaches lane at the same time as you she'll usually let the wave hit her just a bit so she has a guaranteed stun, but both in and out of lane I've seen some VERY dubious stuns, like a 200 HP Ashe getting stunned by a 1000 hp Irelia, the health bar CLEARLY a lot fuller on Irelia.

Another champion I love is Syndra, her lore is ok (says little, as usual) but I love her kit. Only issue is that she snowballs easily and hard, to the point you know you're dead as soon as she stuns you even if you were full HP, which is kinda unhealthy to the game (specially with how you can toss two balls at the same time and make the "skillshot" stun harder to dodge). Her voice is amazing.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 12, 2014 6:46am | Report
FalseoGod wrote:
The most frustrating about Irelia is that you pretty much don't know when you're going to get stunned and can't play around it. Sure, if she reaches lane at the same time as you she'll usually let the wave hit her just a bit so she has a guaranteed stun, but both in and out of lane I've seen some VERY dubious stuns, like a 200 HP Ashe getting stunned by a 1000 hp Irelia, the health bar CLEARLY a lot fuller on Irelia

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to call ******** on this one. I've played (against) Irelia a lot and have never seen anything even remotely close to that happen. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of hack causing it to always stun an opponent, but I've never seen it being buggy.

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 12, 2014 7:21am | Report
My issue with Irelia is that ******** thing where she can stun you when both of you are full health.

"If the target has a higher health % than Irelia, she stuns the target for the same duration instead."

Last I checked 100%/100% is not Irelia having lower %.
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 12, 2014 7:40am | Report
utopus wrote:
There is something magical about having a no-mana cost ulti before level 6. I think karma is quite well designed, kit-wise. Although that may just be because I like champions that have abilities that incentivize you to autoattack in between casting spells.

That means you like Taric?
He is gonna kill you!!!
emoriam
<Veteran>
emoriam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 12, 2014 7:46am | Report
My favorite champion is Irelia and I think she's overall greatly designed - things have been said before. I like how well she works with Trinity Force and the clear and understable setup around her abilities. In the beginning as I started playing her I disliked her ultimate but with the the course of playing I started to really like the usage of Sheen around the ability.

Other champions I really like and which are perfectly designed imo are Thresh, Lulu, Jayce, Zed and Janna.

According to lore I've to admit that I don't really care about that topic: Lore isn't included to the actual game at all or at least not in a remarkable way and it's way to complex and untouched imo.
Thanks to Emikadon for this sig!
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 12, 2014 7:46am | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to call ******** on this one. I've played (against) Irelia a lot and have never seen anything even remotely close to that happen. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of hack causing it to always stun an opponent, but I've never seen it being buggy.

It's happened to me and I saw this happen this week. There was none around said Ashe so it couldn't have been another stun. It could be a bug/hack (doubt it was a hack, but some people like to fool around in normals), we were all pretty shocked when it happened.

But hey, yesterday my boyfriend got stunned by Morgana's ultimate proc while in Zhonya's passive.

utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 12, 2014 8:59am | Report
NicknameMy wrote:
That means you like Taric?

I was thinking something more along the lines of Ziggs, Lulu and Orianna, since they are all ranged and it's safer to get off autoattacks, but yes; I do in fact like Taric's kit quite a lot. In S2, he was the champion I mained to get out of Bronze to Silver. I do enjoy his kit after his rework, and I do think he has a really well designed kit if you can get out of the laning phase in one piece... That's a pretty big if though.
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 12, 2014 10:03am | Report
To be honest I think a lot of people climbed with Taric during season 2 :P

OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar