Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

MobaFire's Scouting System

Creator: jhoijhoi January 20, 2014 12:30am

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

What do you think of MobaFire's Scouting System?
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2014 12:38pm | Report
Janitsu wrote:

^http://www.mobafire.com/credits

Everyone over the "Editors" section should be able to scout. And please, I don't do it free, they pay me (they transfer money to my secret bank account on Luxembourg).

But yeah, if the reviewer or the author himself are not mature enough to settle down and discuss the guide and its flaws etc., they shouldn't really be doing what they are; author shouldn't write guides and the reviewer shouldn't review them.

So little active people o-o
Scout system should just be removed if there's only like 20 active people out of which... 5 actively scout?
Thanks to GrandmasterD for the sig!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2014 12:46pm | Report
Vynertje wrote:

The only reason you started this thread is because you want to get rid of the -scouts on this guide and you cannot get it the regular way.

I actually made this thread due to Mowen shutting down my thread in the scout forum as inappropriate. Like I said in the original thread, I'm trying to give more power to the powerless. I've always had problems with the scout system, but Veng's point of "what about users who aren't scout?" really made me see just how bad the system was.
  • Any guide should have a minimum of 20-50 (exact number is irrelevant) votes or exist for a long period of time with at least 80% rating in order for it to be possible to get a scout point.
  • Any guide should be updated according to the latest patch in order to get a scout point.
  • A scout can only scout 1 guide per champion.
  • Remove -scouting due to the previous suggestion.
  • The guide with the most scout points becomes featured.
  • Expired/Archived guides lose all given scout points. Same if the guide drops below 80% rating.
  • Scout points should be given on the quality of guide, as in, how well it is written. Due to the higher rating scouts can assume the guide to contain correct content and only have to focus on the writing itself. This includes, but is not limited to, grammar, spelling, chapter order, amount of content and writing style.

The Scout system should no longer be a system that focuses on "fixing" top rated guides but should focus on which among those guides is the best written one.

Pretty much agree with everything here. I remember making a few of these suggestions too. A lot of them were ignored as not useful:

[*] Any guide should have a minimum of 20-50 (exact number is irrelevant) votes or exist for a long period of time with at least 80% rating in order for it to be possible to get a scout point.
>>>> "Guide rating isn't important compared to the quality of the guide. You have to factor in guides that may be at 50% that may be worth the +scout point."

[*] Any guide should be updated according to the latest patch in order to get a scout point.
"That's expecting too much of the author."

[*] A scout can only scout 1 guide per champion.
"What if there's a really good jungle Nasus guide and a really good solo top Nasus guide? Can't we feature both?"

[*] Remove -scouting due to the previous suggestion.
"Why remove -scouting, it allows quality control. I especially don't like the idea of removing -scouting if the guide doesn't have +scouts. I'd rather -scout something upright, than give the guide a chance/use -scouts to actually vote on the best +scouted guide."

[*] Expired/Archived guides lose all given scout points. Same if the guide drops below 80% rating.
"Expired/archived guides with +/- scouts aren't hurting anyone. They're only on a hidden list that scout and above see."
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2014 12:55pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Pretty much agree with everything here. I remember making a few of these suggestions too. A lot of them were ignored as not useful:

[*] Any guide should have a minimum of 20-50 (exact number is irrelevant) votes or exist for a long period of time with at least 80% rating in order for it to be possible to get a scout point.
>>>> "Guide rating isn't important compared to the quality of the guide. You have to factor in guides that may be at 50% that may be worth the +scout point."

[*] Any guide should be updated according to the latest patch in order to get a scout point.
"That's expecting too much of the author."

[*] A scout can only scout 1 guide per champion.
"What if there's a really good jungle Nasus guide and a really good solo top Nasus guide? Can't we feature both?"

[*] Remove -scouting due to the previous suggestion.
"Why remove -scouting, it allows quality control. I especially don't like the idea of removing -scouting if the guide doesn't have +scouts. I'd rather -scout something upright, than give the guide a chance/use -scouts to actually vote on the best +scouted guide."

[*] Expired/Archived guides lose all given scout points. Same if the guide drops below 80% rating.
"Expired/archived guides with +/- scouts aren't hurting anyone. They're only on a hidden list that scout and above see."

• Rating defines the quality of the guide. Users upvote the guide if it contains information that's true and they downvote if it doesn't. As vynertje said, it's no guarantee but 80% is a pretty respectable rating.
  • What?! A guide should be up-to-date, otherwise it's pointless. I'm not reading last week's newspaper either.
  • If only one guide can be +scouted, then you can just +scout the one you think should be featured. There's no need for -scouting then.
  • Not enough, the new guides aren't necessarily as well written as the others.
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2014 12:58pm | Report

Also, and slightly off topic, I'm noticing a lot of scout reviews lately base their entire opinion about the cheat sheet of guides alone, OR the reviewer will claim something is missing (from the cheat sheet) that actually is in the guide, which they neglected to read. Can we stop that? Some times there is information within the guide that ties in heavily with the sheet. The guide should be judged by its content for learning as well as it's build or cheat sheet. These are guides, remember, not builds.

A good guide begins with correct information. If the cheat-sheet, the most basic part of a guide is wrong, I'm not going to bother reading past it, the guide is already sub-optimal. If it has a correct cheat-sheet, THEN I'll read the rest and consider giving it a scout point.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2014 12:59pm | Report
Nick, those aren't my opinions, those are the opinions I've seen in the scout forums :P I agree with everything you said earlier, and also agree to everything you just said. I just wish everyone else did, lol.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2014 1:00pm | Report

A good guide begins with correct information. If the cheat-sheet, the most basic part of a guide is wrong, I'm not going to bother reading past it, the guide is already sub-optimal. If it has a correct cheat-sheet, THEN I'll read the rest and consider giving it a scout point.

Exactly this.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2014 1:01pm | Report
I get that, Vapora. I should clarify I'm talking about something entirely different. The line about claiming that something is missing in the cheat sheet, but it actually is in the guide later is mostly what Im talking about. I think guides should be judged as a whole.

Obviously if someone has stupid **** like Lichbane on Thresh in their cheat sheet, what you said applies.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2014 1:03pm | Report
@ OTG: I know you're direcly targetting me here because afaik no scout besides me does that. However, I like to be nitpicky. Deal with it ^^
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2014 1:06pm | Report
Nah i've seen a couple others do it. Otherwise I'd have said your name. And I already talked to you about this.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 20, 2014 1:08pm | Report

I think guides should be judged as a whole.

I never said that they shouldn't but that's what the voting system is for. I think the scout system should separate to good from the great, to paraphrase a famous league developer.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide