Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Reddit's View on MOBAFire

Creator: Embracing December 30, 2012 8:26pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 7:05am | Report
I think we should just start having a post limit or something before people can vote, that would kill a lot of the fake accounts up-voting their own guides and such.

Generally if someone actually wants to be involved in Mobafire, they start to pick up on what's deemed bad or good here. (Realistically good or bad, as a lot of us bring up the whole "fancy guides get more votes than actual good guides" thing in almost every thread. XD)
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 7:06am | Report

Yea Solomid guides always give me a sense the writer is just like "I'm on ****ing SOLOMID, this ****'s featured. You dare question it, mortal?" because rarely do they give you any reason WHY to take X item or X mastery other than "It's standard or core."

It's often because the pros don't have the leisure to explain item choices.

Also, most times when people are high elo they get to the skill level where item choices do not need to be explained because it's common sense.

Pheyniex wrote:

Even if a guide is written by a high elo player, it is no guarantee of excelence. the ones i have usually seen at solomid are very superficial and lack interesting information, not to say justification, imo.

also, it may require a playstyle you'll hardly aquire, and such isn't explained there.

But even so, the guides that are superficial and that lack information are infinitely better than fancy detailed guides that bring up unviable stuff :/
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 7:07am | Report
Afer reading a couple more posts, it came to mind that maybe MobaFire lacks some names. We all know GMD and Khazem and Wintermond, but are we just insiders? SHould some votes count more than others? Should Mobafire fight for more visibility on the LoL comunity?

As requested to GMD himself.
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 7:10am | Report
Embracing wrote:

It's often because the pros don't have the leisure to explain item choices.

Most times when people are high elo they get to the skill level where item choices do not need to be explained because it's common sense.

But even so, the guides that are superficial and that lack information are infinitely better than fancy detailed guides that bring up unviable stuff :/

i guess those should be archived, a least. maybe reviewd by the comunity, if the comunity wishes.

Sig made by Aquilegia
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 7:16am | Report

I think we should just start having a post limit or something before people can vote, that would kill a lot of the fake accounts up-voting their own guides and such.

Generally if someone actually wants to be involved in Mobafire, they start to pick up on what's deemed bad or good here. (Realistically good or bad, as a lot of us bring up the whole "fancy guides get more votes than actual good guides" thing in almost every thread. XD)

That would help the site but probably lessen the incentive to join the community. Not sure which is better.
Pheyniex wrote:

Afer reading a couple more posts, it came to mind that maybe MobaFire lacks some names. We all know GMD and Khazem and Wintermond, but are we just insiders? SHould some votes count more than others? Should Mobafire fight for more visibility on the LoL comunity?

MOBAFire DOES lack names which has been a big problem for the community because no one is there to lead the site into believing the right things. People believe false mathematical statistics. I'd vouch for the votes thing but that ultimately leads us into a "elitist site", which most people do not want.

The fundamental problem is this: Higher leveled players are worth the same as lower leveled players. However we CANNOT create a "high elo special group" because most people in our community do not want us changing into an elitist site. Furthermore we do not possess the "elitists" to guide the community. And most importantly of course, MOST PEOPLE DON'T LISTEN.
People have the impression that they actually discovered new innovative stuff when they actually haven't. Discovering new stuff requires a better knowledge of the game, which most don't have.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 7:31am | Report
One thing I definitely love about mobafire is that we experiment. We ask questions, we try new things, we share them, we discuss and determine the value of theories.

You won't find that anywhere else really.

Sadly with the voting system the way it is, anyone coming in to see a non-meta build be high up in scores; they blame Mobafire as a whole.

Perhaps another suggestion I have is this;

add a new grouping to guides, like; Competitive/Ranked Guides and Normal Queue/Just for Fun guides, and they wouldn't be in the same listings, so they wouldn't be judged together.

For instance, back when I had written a guide for AP Varus, I didn't feel it should have been judged against other guides that would have been more suited for competitive play (Actual AD guides). My build worked and was doable, but by no means ranked worthy.
DemonSovereign
<Member>
DemonSovereign's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 7:58am | Report
Hogopogo wrote:

Well then we'll just have to make a whole buch of good guides to change their minds right? GMD's guide contest thing will help with that :3

This and all the insults on Reddit is what makes me fired up to finish my guide! Hopefully it's good quality!
I spent a pretty long time reading the whole Reddit thread yesterday and it got me mad! There were several people who defended Mobafire which made me happy :)
I would defend Moba too, if I could give good explanations lol
My first self made sig ^_^
Care to check out my Mordekaiser guide? I'd appreciate it :D
Dark Metallica-Rocking With Mordekaiser
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
The Overmyynd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 9:13am | Report
Just made a talking points post about this in the Editor's Office. Maybe we can get something done about this and make some decisions.
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
jinlee
<Member>
jinlee's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 9:30am | Report
honestly i think the posting limit is a good idea because you dont have make a high posting limit you could make it 25 or 50 which it will only stop smurfs and random people who dont even want to be apart of mobafire

all credit for this amazing sig goes to the nameless bard

if you thought what i said was worth it a rep would be rainbow pony awesome
Khazem
<King of the Hill>
Khazem's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 9:39am | Report

add a new grouping to guides, like; Competitive/Ranked Guides and Normal Queue/Just for Fun guides, and they wouldn't be in the same listings, so they wouldn't be judged together.

I actually agree with this point. I really think there should be a clear distinction between the different kinds of guides on this site.
In my opinion, there are 3 different kinds of guides.
The 'fun' ones: The guides people make with builds that are... different. They work to some extent and are fun to play around with, but should not be followed when seriously trying to master a champion and play it in ranked games.

The 'pretty'/informative ones: The guides that appear to be great at first sight, but are usually made by lesser experienced people who try to make their guides stand out through pretty coding and formatting. Flaws in content usually are overlooked and a lot of people base their votes mostly on guide appearance.

The 'ranked' ones: These are the guides made by people who really know their champion. Usually made by higher Elo players or just smart players who do a lot of research to make sure the information in their guides is correct.

The main problem with MobaFire in my opinion will always be the fact that a lot of the old highest rated guides are kind of up there to stay. Most of these guides never get updated and the authors generally just cheat the freshness filter. People who aren't regular MobaFire users will come to this site, see those guides and will obviously think it's all a bunch of misinformation and MobaFire is for 'noobs'.
I don't really know what can be done about this as it wouldn't really be fair to just force them to archive the guides and they require too many votes to have a significant impact on their rating.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide