Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Reddit's View on MOBAFire

Creator: Embracing December 30, 2012 8:26pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 9:43am | Report
Khazem wrote:

The main problem with MobaFire in my opinion will always be the fact that a lot of the old highest rated guides are kind of up there to stay. Most of these guides never get updated and the authors generally just cheat the freshness filter. People who aren't regular MobaFire users will come to this site, see those guides and will obviously think it's all a bunch of misinformation and MobaFire is for 'noobs'.
I don't really know what can be done about this as it wouldn't really be fair to just force them to archive the guides and they require too many votes to have a significant impact on their rating.

This is a big problem, updating guides without making changes to cheat the freshness filter really needs to be against the rules and result in immediate warnings. Vote decay on really old highly rated guides also needs to be considered as a possibility.

In my opinion the best way to make Mobafire a more serious guide site is to fix the Featured guide system and display it prominently on the front page. If this means adding some sort of requirement to be a Scout then so be it. That way we'd be able to keep Mobafire's existing top rated/community system while also having a featured system similar to Solomid. Everyone wins.
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 9:45am | Report
the extra vote(s) can work in severall ways. of course all benefits must have a limit/rules. it can reflect the rep in the comunity, quality of his own guides and general activity/behaviour. ALso, a member should be stripped of voting priveligees if a council of moderators considers so.

As for refreshing the guide, mabe use a line within the website code, checking if any changes were made? simple one, i guess.
Also, insetad of saying if freshness is ideal, etc, maybe pointing the last patch since it was modified would be clearer, as up-to-date is concerned.

Sig made by elenah
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 9:46am | Report
Khazem wrote:

I actually agree with this point. I really think there should be a clear distinction between the different kinds of guides on this site.
In my opinion, there are 3 different kinds of guides.
The 'fun' ones: The guides people make with builds that are... different. They work to some extent and are fun to play around with, but should not be followed when seriously trying to master a champion and play it in ranked games.

The 'pretty'/informative ones: The guides that appear to be great at first sight, but are usually made by lesser experienced people who try to make their guides stand out through pretty coding and formatting. Flaws in content usually are overlooked and a lot of people base their votes mostly on guide appearance.

The 'ranked' ones: These are the guides made by people who really know their champion. Usually made by higher Elo players or just smart players who do a lot of research to make sure the information in their guides is correct.

The main problem with MobaFire in my opinion will always be the fact that a lot of the old highest rated guides are kind of up there to stay. Most of these guides never get updated and the authors generally just cheat the freshness filter. People who aren't regular MobaFire users will come to this site, see those guides and will obviously think it's all a bunch of misinformation and MobaFire is for 'noobs'.
I don't really know what can be done about this as it wouldn't really be fair to just force them to archive the guides and they require too many votes to have a significant impact on their rating.

I don't think that'll work either. The freshness filter indeed gets cheated on which is the main problem and I think that's why votes should decay. Whenever you vote decays you maybe should get a message with "Your up/downvote on this guide is out of date." and then people can take another look at it and decide if they want to upvote it again.
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 9:52am | Report

I don't think that'll work either. The freshness filter indeed gets cheated on which is the main problem and I think that's why votes should decay. Whenever you vote decays you maybe should get a message with "Your up/downvote on this guide is out of date." and then people can take another look at it and decide if they want to upvote it again.

i also support this idea.

Sig made by Hogopogo
Shuru
<Member>
Shuru's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 10:37am | Report
These are the kind of folks who are force fed on the ****s of Pro diamond Elo players who don't actually care about them. I bet a lot of them are plat ELO and still don't know their character or how to build them.

They say our website generates "wrong advice presented convincingly." I'd rather think of it as advice from players learning the game, and advice from players having already learned the game. They don't realize that the "bad Tactics" they speak of are used throughout low ELO as you level up and as you dig your way from ELO hell. They don't realize that within the game the meta shifts ever so slightly between skill levels due to the knowledge of the game at hand.

Example being: at lower levels there are no junglers and it becomes a 2-1-2 meta, the reason for this being most new players cannot jungle in S3 and do not know how in the first place.

They berate our guides as if we don't attempt to make any of them show up as better, when guides are actually scouted, and people can verify ELO. One of them was talking about a person with a 2/3 win-rate with Diana in season 2 and complaining that that isn't a platinum player.

A 66% win rate isn't good enough for them? They lost their first ranked? Gee guys this person must not be legit and must not be allowed to write a guide, they don't know if they should build wits end or not guys (hint: no.)

Reddit is full of titsuckling dependent infants who can't get by without Dyrus or Doublelift holding their hands and their opinion is all but worthless.

Edit: I agree with a vote decay system
Ban out GoodPlays GG
EvilDice
<Shoutcaster>
EvilDice's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 11:10am | Report
if you want a better public opinion of the site, maybe you should stop demonizing reddit and start listening. because reddit represents... you know... the public opinion

Thanks to Xiaowiriamu for the sig!

twitch.tv/dicetherice - @dicetherice
Shuru
<Member>
Shuru's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 11:16am | Report
Reddit represents A public opinion. It only represents the public as a whole if everyone in the public uses it. It represents a demographic of the people, not the whole.
Ban out GoodPlays GG
BloBBloB99
<Member>
BloBBloB99's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 12:38pm | Report

One thing I definitely love about mobafire is that we experiment. We ask questions, we try new things, we share them, we discuss and determine the value of theories.

You won't find that anywhere else really.

I second this, well said.

In fact, this discussion pushes me to make a guide to prove them wrong. Not that it will realistically but...

The thing with Moba is that their guides have been worked on for a while. It's not some ****ty 2 hour work like the **** up at solomid looks like. That and OTGs wonderful statement above is why I choose mobafire above all the others.

Thanks to MissMaw and GmD for my signatures!
If I help'd ya, then don't be afraid to +Rep me! Thanks!
astrolia
<Fabulous>
astrolia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 12:55pm | Report
Shuru wrote:

Reddit represents A public opinion. It only represents the public as a whole if everyone in the public uses it. It represents a demographic of the people, not the whole.

League of Legends has a huge presence on Reddit because stream viewers saw HotshotGG using Reddit "back in the day" and they in turn began to register for it and participate. Now it's a fairly popular place for League discussion and Rioters and pro players all participate there too. Rioters and pros have AmAs there, Reddit has also contributed monetarily to the point that Orbit renamed themselves "Reddit Nation" in the Lonestar Cup, and State of the League also resulted from Reddit (I don't consider this a positive, but it's something that actually happened).

It is probably the closest thing that League has to being an "official" fan community, honestly.

FalseoGod wrote:

Thanks for the link Astrolia, I didn't know it. Also, may I kiss your ***, oh Platinum Queen?

I take tribute in the form of ~diamonds~.
hi embracing. yes i play ff14 now.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 31, 2012 2:44pm | Report
EvilDice wrote:

if you want a better public opinion of the site, maybe you should stop demonizing reddit and start listening. because reddit represents... you know... the public opinion

This. Reddit is not just "a public opinion", but now has such a large and diverse userbase that it can actually be considered "the public".

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide