Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

to hotshotgg

Creator: darkmaster7 October 23, 2011 9:56am
87 posts - page 2 of 9
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2011 2:08pm | Report
Well I simply don't agree.

There's plenty of god awful builds on this site, with long explanations as to why the garbage build works, people read it, it LOOKS like it makes sense, so they agree with it and think it's "Core" or "Effective"

In effect, a bad build with a long drawn out guide that convinces the reader is actually doing more harm than good.

And looooots of the guides on this site suffer from that syndrome, and lots of the players walk around like sheep praising the bad guides that were well written.

It's incredibly common on this website, as a matter of fact.

Where if you just take the build and go with the choices the pro is using, you can adapt and mold that play style to match your own.

A guide can talk all it wants about last hitting and techniques to be used, but all of that can easily be learned by simply watching a youtube video of the pro, watching their live streams, etc.

None of the information is hard to find, Cau, and not everything needs to be written out in a guide.
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2011 2:13pm | Report
I'm going to agree with Duff on this one.

At least if their guides are there, you'll start to see more guides of champions built properly (Yorick is a great example) with longer explanations.

There are SO many TERRIBLE guides on Mobafire that are highest rated though, and they will remain there due to the sheep effect, "That guide isn't like the top rated one!" etc. If a pro makes a guide though, there's a lot less credibility to support the highest rated ones.

At least if a pro makes a guide with a good build, people won't be building ******ed items like Tear of the Goddess on every AP caster or something.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2011 2:15pm | Report
To be blunt, guides are for new players anyway.

They can be incredibly helpful for new players, but I think people with some experience can pretty much figure out item builds and champion strats from just looking at their abilities and watching streams and such, and they already know about stuff like last hitting and which lane to take.

I mean, the basic build, runes and masteries for every AD carry is the same on every champ, the basic build, runes and masteries for ever AP carry is the same, same with supports

I generally just skim-read guides for champions I am trying out or new with, mostly only paying attention to the items, runes and masteries.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2011 2:17pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

I mean, the basic build, runes and masteries for every AD carry is the same on every champ, the basic build, runes and masteries for ever AP carry is the same, same with supports.

I'm speechless......
Thanks to Nyoike for the sig!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2011 2:17pm | Report
Umm, it's true.

AD: 21/0/9 | ArP, health, MR/lvl, AD | Dorans > Berserkers > Infinity edge/Bloodthirster > PD > Last Whisper/Banshees

AP: 9/0/21 | MPen, MReg, AP/lvl, AP | Dorans x3 (or one and an RoA) > Rabadons > Void/Banshees/whatever

Supp: 9/0/21 | MPen, MReg, MR/lvl, Gold | Philo stone > HoG > Aegis > tons of wards + Oracles > other aura items + Shurelya's

Works for almost every champ in those roles.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2011 2:18pm | Report
the 'basic' build was made because it fit every champion well, someone didnt just say 'hey build x like this' and everyone started to also build a b c d and f like that too.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2011 2:28pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

Umm, it's true.

AD: 21/0/9 ArP, health, MR/lvl, AD | Dorans > Berserkers > Infinity edge/Bloodthirster > PD > Last Whisper/Banshees

AP: 9/0/21 MPen, MReg, AP/lvl, AP | Dorans x3 (or one and an RoA) > Rabadons > Void/Banshees/whatever

Supp: 9/0/21 MPen, MReg, MR/lvl, Gold | Philo stone > HoG > Aegis > tons of wards + oracles > other aura items + shurelya's

So Corki and Ezreal don't need a Sheen or Trinity Force? I should build Rod of Ages on Akali and Kennen? I should build AP-less support for Karma Lux, Orianna and Zilean? I should rush crit on Teemo every game? How do I build solo tops? How do I build tanks? How do I build junglers?

You're generalizing a ton. There are common threads between builds in the same role, but a lot of champions simply deserve their own build (and guide).
Thanks to Nyoike for the sig!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2011 2:31pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

You're generalizing a ton.

Luther3000 wrote:

PsiGuard wrote:

How do I build solo tops? How do I build tanks? How do I build junglers?

Which is exactly why I made no mention of any of those roles, mostly there is no general build that works every game on most champions in these roles.

Also, Akali is usually a solo top and none out of Karma, Lux, Zilean or Orianna are supports. They're AP carries with some supporting elements in their kit.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2011 2:36pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

I mean, the basic build, runes and masteries for every AD carry is the same on every champ, the basic build, runes and masteries for ever AP carry is the same, same with supports

I didn't see you say 'almost' there. I listed quite a few examples, and there are plenty more exceptions. With that many exceptions, you NEED separate builds for each champion.

Your initial premise was "guides are only for noobs." I just mentioned three roles which you say "there is no general build" for. How are people supposed to know what to build if half the champions in the game don't work with a cookie-cutter build? A lot of the stuff in guides IS common knowledge, but LoL has a very wide player base in terms of skill-level. There are plenty of decent players that can learn from the guides on this site. Insinuating that guides are virtually useless to anyone with common sense is an insult to every guide author on Mobafire.
Thanks to Janitsu for the sig!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2011 2:37pm | Report
'Noobs' was too strong a word and I edited my post accordingly. I guess I just forget to say 'almost' in my first post.

I always read at least one guide on every champion before I play them, and I obviously like guides otherwise I wouldn't be on Mobafire.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide