Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Tournament policy, dictated by Usurp

Creator: throatslasher May 16, 2013 5:27pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Should a team that got a challenger kid onto a smurf to knowingly break/subvert the rules be allowed to play in the tournament?
Usurp
<Tournament Manager>
Usurp's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 16, 2013 8:15pm | Report
Most Community Cup players are happy with the cups, rules, and format but we do understand that a vocal minority may be speaking for a wider audience. We are continually trying to find a happy balance between allowing new members to join MOBAFire and the Community Cups as well as rewarding long standing active members with features.

To address the issue we will most likely be experimenting with some different cup formats after June. The idea right now is to hold open cups that anyone can join and then also host cups specific to active members of the MOBAFire community by limiting participation based on activity levels on the MOBAFire site.

We think this will create a happy balance for all users. We also believe this will eliminate issues regarding smurfing, something that is extremely difficult to deal with from an organizers stand point due to there being no way to verify accounts through the League of Legends client. For Steam games, there is the SteamID, for other titles like Call of Duty there is a GUID number specific to each copy of the game. There is no such feature for the League of Legends client so we must balance the trust of the cup participants with researching potential rule violators.

To address why the team in question is allowed to change their roster, the roster rule becomes active once the cup has begun. We cannot reasonably research every single player in every cup due to the sign-ups number often reaching 80-90+ teams per cup. That is why the rule is written such that each team is responsible for researching their opponent before a match begins. This is a very old rule that has existed in many different leagues over the last 10+ years. Furthermore, we often get new teams and users who have never participated in an organized event that often make mistakes regarding their roster. Allowing teams to alter their rosters before the Cups begin allows those new users the flexibility to become familiar with how events are run rather than preemptively punishing them due to a lack of experience. And since the rules apply to everyone equally, the team in question was also afforded this flexibility.
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 16, 2013 8:22pm | Report
Quoted:

If lasty had brought this to usurp's attention after they had played 1 game in the tournament, their whole team would have been dq'd according to usurp. But since we "caught it early" they get a LESSER PUNISHMENT and they are allowed to find a sub and continue in the tournament.

Quoted:

They clearly were aware of the rules of NO CHALLENGER KIDS and then they decided to break the rules by having him jump on a smurf with the hopes that nobody would notice. The fact that they used a smurf demonstrates that they had full knowledge of the rules

normally I would say there has to be solid evidence for something like this, but this seems pretty convincing

quoted those two paragraphs because I think they pretty much highlight a major error made by Usurp
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 16, 2013 8:23pm | Report
On the matter of zig, there should be at least a DQ somewhere. In pretty much all competitive entertainment, if a team cheats in any way whatsoever, it's usually equivalent to a complete DQ.

I can understand if it's just a single-player DQ, but that does actually seem just like a slap on the wrist.

On the matter of Pixel3, even if he does play for a professional team, his own personal ability seems to extend no more than Diamond I Soloq or 5v5. That one's a bit of a grey area, I feel. Does being a part or a pro team make you a pro even if your stats and tier rankings aren't as good as the majority of the pros?
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
you shouldnt give them flexibility if they had the intent to cheat, they would have cheated and been DQ'd if they didnt get caught till they played a few games why shouldnt they be DQ'd now?
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
C4 Lasty
<Member>
C4 Lasty's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Yet we have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt they actively tried to cheat. They used a smurf to circumvent the no challenger rule. They were caught red handed and you're allowing the guilty team to continue in the tournament. Zig isn't just guilty. His WHOLE team is guilty.

Allowing them to continue is a colossal failure on your part as a tournament organizer/moderator.
C4 Lasty
<Member>
C4 Lasty's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 16, 2013 8:25pm | Report
sirell wrote:

On the matter of zig, there should be at least a DQ somewhere. In pretty much all competitive entertainment, if a team cheats in any way whatsoever, it's usually equivalent to a complete DQ.

I can understand if it's just a single-player DQ, but that does actually seem just like a slap on the wrist.

On the matter of Pixel3, even if he does play for a professional team, his own personal ability seems to extend no more than Diamond I Soloq or 5v5. That one's a bit of a grey area, I feel. Does being a part or a pro team make you a pro even if your stats and tier rankings aren't as good as the majority of the pros?

Dyrus isn't Challenger in 5's or solo que. You want him in this tournament?
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 16, 2013 8:26pm | Report
Point well made.
Usurp
<Tournament Manager>
Usurp's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 16, 2013 8:29pm | Report
C4 Lasty wrote:

Dyrus isn't Challenger in 5's or solo que. You want him in this tournament?

As I already stated in our conversation in the LoL client, we do not allow any participants listed on LCS rosters.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 16, 2013 8:33pm | Report
Then wth is Pixel3 doing on their roster?
Usurp
<Tournament Manager>
Usurp's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 16, 2013 8:38pm | Report
sirell wrote:

Then wth is Pixel3 doing on their roster?

He is not listed on any LCS roster.

As I stated above, we think adding more Cup formats will appease the very vocal members that dislike competing with higher level teams and prefer to play more casually.

There is no way to appease every single Cup participant without having a separate cup for every tier but we do want to do the best job we can.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide