Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Tournament policy, dictated by Usurp

Creator: throatslasher May 16, 2013 5:27pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Should a team that got a challenger kid onto a smurf to knowingly break/subvert the rules be allowed to play in the tournament?
TheBlueReaper
<Member>
TheBlueReaper's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2013 12:27pm | Report
I really don't see what's so damn hard.Just make it so that anyone who isn't an active member of the community can't play and that's it.No more stupid threads and arguing.I mean like, who the f*** is Zig?Have you seen him post?No!So he doesn't get to play and thats it.It's a COMMUNITY cup, it shouldn't be filled with challenger kids looking for easy wins.
Thanks to jhoijhoi , TinyStar , Minho, Hogopogo , TheNamelessBard and GMD for the sigs!
Usurp
<Tournament Manager>
Usurp's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2013 12:36pm | Report

I really don't see what's so damn hard.Just make it so that anyone who isn't an active member of the community can't play and that's it.No more stupid threads and arguing.I mean like, who the f*** is Zig?Have you seen him post?No!So he doesn't get to play and thats it.It's a COMMUNITY cup, it shouldn't be filled with challenger kids looking for easy wins.

As I responded earlier in the thread, we are discussing implementing these very formats for the cups after June. We just need to nail down certain qualifications for participant eligibility.
jinlee
<Member>
jinlee's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2013 12:45pm | Report
because half the reason for it is to bring in new people, the whole designe around moba fire is to build a community. if we have it so that only people with like 200 posts can join, then it will only detour new people from coming. and the thing about the moba fire community is that anyone can join.

all credit for this amazing sig goes to the nameless bard

if you thought what i said was worth it a rep would be rainbow pony awesome
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2013 1:16pm | Report
That's precisely half the problem, though. People entering the tourney aren't joining the community.
Usurp
<Tournament Manager>
Usurp's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2013 1:21pm | Report
jinlee wrote:

because half the reason for it is to bring in new people, the whole designe around moba fire is to build a community. if we have it so that only people with like 200 posts can join, then it will only detour new people from coming. and the thing about the moba fire community is that anyone can join.

Right, and that balance is something we are working on. Some users like the opportunity to play against the very best competition in the hope to improve their play and understanding of League of Legends. This is why until recently the cups were completely open to everyone. However we also recognize that some participants may feel leery of joining a tournament that they think they may never be able to win but are passionate and active within the MOBAFire community. We want to be able to reward both types of members with very well run tournaments.
Usurp
<Tournament Manager>
Usurp's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2013 1:34pm | Report
sirell wrote:

That's precisely half the problem, though. People entering the tourney aren't joining the community.

I think it is also important to remember that not everyone joining the community may be interested in active discussions on forums or creating guides right away. For instance I "lurk" a lot of different forums and gaming sites but rarely participate in the discussions or comments, often times because someone has already made the point I would like to make. However, I still participate by voting, using the resources of various sites for news and information etc.

I think a good example to use as a comparison would be Reddit. There are millions of Reddit users but only a fraction of those users may actively contribute every day to a discussion or post a comment yet they may tell their friends about the site who ARE vocal users who then start start participating.

If we were to host a North American Community Cup that limited participants to those who have contributed 100 posts or more, only 4 users total across the millions that use the site every month would be eligible. However, those members names in the community cups that you may not recognize are in fact still very active on the site and MOBAFire community as a whole. The majority of the participants in each cup find out about the cups directly from the MOBAFire site itself.
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2013 1:57pm | Report
It's kinda' ridiculous to suggest that the action taken regarding the issue Throat and Lasty have brought up depends on when they bring it up. Any team found to be breaking the rules should be disqualified, regardless of when their rule breaking comes to light. Period. What is happening here is just incentivizing two things: 1) People who are aware of rules being broken shouldn't bring issues up until the tournament starts and 2) People can get away with breaking the rules as long as they don't get caught during the tournament itself. Neither of these are desirable, so the punishments involved in breaking the rules should be applied before the tournament starts (where applicable) and after the conclusion of the tournament (where possible).

Usurp wrote:

As I stated previously, we will allow players to make roster changes and give them the benefit of the doubt. There are countless participants in every cup who do not read the rules and we also give them the benefit of the doubt. There is no way for me to know the intent of every player in the events, therefore, the rules are in place once the event has started.

Sorry, but this is kinda' fallacious. Ignorance of the rules does not excuse breaking them, in the same way that ignorance of the law does not excuse breaking it. Enforcement of the rules shouldn't depend on whether or not we reasonably expect people to have actually read them.

Usurp wrote:

I think it is also important to remember that not everyone joining the community may be interested in active discussions on forums or creating guides right away. For instance I "lurk" a lot of different forums and gaming sites but rarely participate in the discussions or comments, often times because someone has already made the point I would like to make. However, I still participate by voting, using the resources of various sites for news and information etc.

There is a difference between watching a community (i.e. "lurking") and actually being a part of it. It is not reasonable to suggest that people who "lurk" are inherently a part of the community. To compare, there's a really big difference between just listening to a genre of music and actually being a part of that genre's local scene.

Usurp wrote:

If we were to host a North American Community Cup that limited participants to those who have contributed 100 posts or more, only 4 users total across the millions that use the site every month would be eligible. However, those members names in the community cups that you may not recognize are in fact still very active on the site and MOBAFire community as a whole. The majority of the participants in each cup find out about the cups directly from the MOBAFire site itself.

{{citation needed}}
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2013 2:08pm | Report
Usurp wrote:
However, those members names in the community cups that you may not recognize are in fact still very active on the site and MOBAFire community as a whole.

Just looked at the top 10 or so registered teams. With the exception of Lasty and Throat, there are exactly two people with a post count of above 5. This is not 'active'.
Usurp
<Tournament Manager>
Usurp's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2013 2:16pm | Report
sirell wrote:

Just looked at the top 10 or so registered teams. With the exception of Lasty and Throat, there are exactly two people with a post count of above 5. This is not 'active'.

What do you feel is a suitable level of activity that would warrant limiting participation in the community cups to "active" members only?
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 17, 2013 2:35pm | Report
Usurp wrote:

What do you feel is a suitable level of activity that would warrant limiting participation in the community cups to "active" members only?

I wasn't saying whether members should have a suitable amount of activity or not, merely that your claim 'they are actually active on this site' was wrong. It's fine if you make it so the rules don't exclude newcomers, but don't inherently pack the terms 'active' and 'lurking' together.
For utter hilarity, click >>here<<!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide