Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Veteran player getting back into LoL S3, what...

Creator: Searz October 30, 2013 1:01pm
Vaan99
<Member>
Vaan99's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 31, 2013 9:00am | Report
Nice moment to get back into LoL, with beginning of new season you will be in same spot as other players. You should check reddit/reign of gaming/cloth5 for info about season 4 changes.

Other than that, there aren't many changes in gameplay since s2, different champions are played, meta in normals and ranked stayed the same, you'll get a feel of it after some time. And whole playerbase got better.
Good luck in LoL!

EDIT: Btw. if you want to keep up with all news about LoL, you should check reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends ; it has become primary place for new info, lol forums are kinda not used at all, even RIOT uses reddit.
Pølsemanden
<Member>
Pølsemanden's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 31, 2013 9:02am | Report
@Searz, i'm pretty sure SV quints are only good on mordekaiser

Swain:
21/9/0

Magic or hybrid pen marks(probably hybrid)

Armor or health/level seals(probably armor)

MR or AP/level glyphs(probably MR)

AP or MS quints(AP if you're the baws and MS if you got countered - outranged)

Start flask or doran's ring(depending on enemy jungler, if he's gonna gank get ward+pot+ward)

Triple doran's is really strong if you die early since that 1200 gold will make you a monster, if you don't die early get 1-2 doran's and RoA
RoA and Zhonya's are core items, rest is situational

Irelia:
I play her as an assasin rather than an initiator so if you have a squishy jungler i wouldn't recommend ireali at all.

21/9/0 masteries
Arpen marks
Armor seals
MR glyphs
Armor or lifesteal quints(lifesteal against mix-damage, armor against renekton - garen - riven - jayce etc.)

Start doran's shield or flask depending on how much mana you need to kill the enemy. Definitely get at least 1 doran's shield before going tri-force->Hydra->Situational defensive->LW->GA
Always save the stun unless you seriously need it for trading or you're somewhat aware of the enemy junglers position.

@false i've seen really bad players do exceptionally well with swain against me just by buying 3 doran's rings which is why i know how ****ing strong that **********er is -> considering to buy and learn syndra just for when i see that swain first pick.
And i suck at swain i need something dashy dashy snipey snipey(just look at my champions lol)
Ty MM and Blood for the sigs :3 | Rammus is comming back - heard it here first!

"Carrying"-guide | My reviewservice
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 31, 2013 10:17am | Report

21-9-0 or 21-0-9, armor seals (because even if you're not against an AD mid, the minion aggro and auto-attack harass can make your health drop pretty fast), the appropriate MR glyphs (depending on the enemy team comp and who you're likely to lane against), and MS quints (this is personal preference, I like to have the extra mobility on my mid laners...flat AP is ok too).

Yeah, it's either MS or AP. Both are great.
I'd likely take MS in Top and AP in mid.
Luther3000 wrote:

- Jinx is broken
- Corki was broken but just got nerfed very hard

Yeah, that's real obvious and I haven't even played against a good Jinx.
How was Corki Nerfed? He seems almost the same as when I left (I've played him twice).
Quoted:
-Lifesteal quints are god

How so? AD quints give more stats comparatively (AD and LS are worth about the same gold-wise).
Quoted:
- Blade of the Ruined King is a replacement for BT that counters health stacking and has a strong dueling active

Seems great.
Quoted:
- Statikk Shiv is a replacement for PD that's more midgame oriented and gives waveclear

Seems decent/meh.
Quoted:
I use AD marks, armour seals, MR glyphs, one AD quint and two lifesteal quints. You might also want to experiment with using a couple mreg glyphs for certain champions. I like 21/6/3 masteries on most champions but you can pretty much put the 9 points in either defence or utility depending on preference.

My old setup for CrC ADCs works well still:
ArP, Armor, MP5/lvl and AD.
I almost always go with 21/9/0 since I have MP5 from runes(except with Corki, cuz mana heavy).
Quoted:

Swain: 21/9/0

Magic or hybrid pen marks(probably hybrid)

I don't think he has enough physical damage to justify Hybrid.

Won't you be very short on mana without both MP5 Seals and masteries?
Quoted:
MR or AP/level glyphs(probably MR)

I dunno. I'm skeptical of AP/lvl glyphs. I'd probably take MR/lvl over them.
Quoted:
Start flask or doran's ring(depending on enemy jungler, if he's gonna gank get ward+pot+ward)

RoA and Zhonya's are core items, rest is situational

Athene's Grail seems like a great fit too.
Quoted:
Irelia: I play her as an assasin rather than an initiator so if you have a squishy jungler i wouldn't recommend ireali at all.

Not even remotely interested in Irelia. I like Renekton tho and I just recently crushed a top lane in ranked. (sadly someone DCed and we lost)
Quoted:
i've seen really bad players do exceptionally well with swain against me just by buying 3 doran's rings which is why i know how ****ing strong that **********er is

I'm actually pretty decent at Swain. I've just never been entirely sure of how to "pre-game build"(runes/masteries) him. He's not at all as straightforward as most other champions(items are easy though).
Wayne3100 wrote:

The passive/active are disabled on ranged champions, so no, Ravenous Hydra is not OP on ranged :P

Yes, which is obviously why I'm saying that >.>
FalseoGod wrote:

Swain needs Runic Affinity regardless of what you're going for. 21/0/9 works well against the easy/even matchups, I have another mastery setting for some harder matchups (can't really recall, but it's divided through the three trees so that I get Runic Affinity , the MPen mastery from the Offense Tree and Defensive Tree stats)

Hybrid pen marks work really well on him but those are sort of an extra perk

Yeah... no. I don't trust you.
"I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m ****ing ******ed but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding." - Guuse

"uh, I identify as counterstrike and I find this globally offensive" - ???
Pølsemanden
<Member>
Pølsemanden's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 31, 2013 10:28am | Report
Don't go athene's. The cdr which is half the reason you buy it is almost useless on swain.

If you want mr get a negatron cloak.
Ty MM and Blood for the sigs :3 | Rammus is comming back - heard it here first!

"Carrying"-guide | My reviewservice
drakon136
<Member>
drakon136's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 31, 2013 10:41am | Report
Searz wrote:

How was Corki Nerfed? He seems almost the same as when I left (I've played him twice).

The movement speed bonus from Trinity Force's Rage passive is halved for ranged champions, his base attack speed was lowered, his ult's base damage was lowered, the cooldown between ult shots is now 2 seconds from 1.2, and CDR no longer effects the cooldown between ult shots.

Quoted:

How so? AD quints give more stats comparatively (AD and LS are worth about the same gold-wise).

Doran's Blade passive + lifesteal quints = dat sustain.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 31, 2013 10:47am | Report
Quoted:
Irelia beats renekton hands down beyond level 7, and before that nothing really beats renekton anyways

I agree, but since he beats her hands down before level 7 (as he does most other champs, indeed), she still does not "deal with him". Renekton is commonly known to be one of the best counters to her for exactly that reason, not allowing her to reach the point where she becomes really, really strong. If you want to beat Renekton, try Elise or Kennen. They don't flat out beat him (because no one does), but they work better than Irelia imho.

And yes, I agree that Irelia- Jax is a skill matchup, which is why I don't understand that you say she deals with him, too. For me, that only applies if you have a high chance of winning the matchup, not in a 50-50.

Anyway, not gonna derail this thread further, so PM me if you wanna continue the discussion :P

@ Searz

My mistake, it sounded like a legit question to me.

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 31, 2013 11:04am | Report
Searz wrote:

His ult was just nerfed pretty severely in the latest patch from 1.2 to 2 sec cd and lowered base damage at ranks 1 and 2, additionally his attack speed was Ezreal'd down to the lowest AS of any ADC.

Searz wrote:

Gold-wise perhaps, but if you apply it practically in game in terms of item slots you can't pick up a great deal of lifesteal compared to AD. Lifesteal scales into lategame better than any other rune; you can heal for at least 20-30 hp per auto just from the runes once you have just two or three items. Additionally it stacks well with the current Doran's Blade start for huge lane sustain and makes it so that you don't always need to build Vampiric Scepter at all if you're going IE, or if you're going BT you can focus on building the BF sword.
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 31, 2013 11:12am | Report
Quoted:

Don't go athene's. The cdr which is half the reason you buy it is almost useless on swain.

If you want mr get a negatron cloak.

Athene's is great on Swain. Swain prefers rushing Rod of Ages than rushing Tear of the Goddess, but he needs more than just Rod of Ages for mana late-game, and after completing RoA it's kinda late to start stacking a tear.

You can just buy Chalice of Harmony whenever you decide you need more mana regen as opposed to having to rush Tear of the Goddess when you don't even need it yet.

Also the mana-restore on kill passive is a stronger version of Swain's new passive.

Polse is right about triple Doran's Ring being stupid on Swain. I've started doing it on any match-up I would usually consider "hard". Every lane since then has been a stomp. Even against Zed, triple Doran's > Armguard.

Also if you fail your lane super hard, you should probably rush Liandry's Torment into Athene's Unholy Grail. A behind Swain is useless building ideally, so you skip the items Swain would ideally build and just skip straight to the items which will keep your damage high enough to still be relevant. Liandry's is pretty strong on him because of his DoT's, and Athene's should keep you from going OOM within 5 seconds of a fight.

Also you go hybrid pen marks because his E amplifies his auto-attack damage too, so you can abuse that with some armor penetration.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 31, 2013 11:32am | Report
Searz wrote:

Yeah... no. I don't trust you.

? About what, the mastery settings? K
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 31, 2013 12:08pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

His ult was just nerfed pretty severely in the latest patch from 1.2 to 2 sec cd and lowered base damage at ranks 1 and 2, additionally his attack speed was Ezreal'd down to the lowest AS of any ADC.

Oh damn, I actually noticed that CD on the ult. I remember it being way spammier..
I think ima abandon him. His ult just isn't fun enough anymore :(

Quoted:
Gold-wise perhaps, but if you apply it practically in game in terms of item slots you can't pick up a great deal of lifesteal compared to AD. Lifesteal scales into lategame better than any other rune; you can heal for at least 20-30 hp per auto just from the runes once you have just two or three items. Additionally it stacks well with the current Doran's Blade start for huge lane sustain and makes it so that you don't always need to build Vampiric Scepter at all if you're going IE, or if you're going BT you can focus on building the BF sword.

True. I think I'll get them soon.

Athene's is great on Swain. Swain prefers rushing Rod of Ages than rushing Tear of the Goddess, but he needs more than just Rod of Ages for mana late-game, and after completing RoA it's kinda late to start stacking a tear.

You can just buy Chalice of Harmony whenever you decide you need more mana regen as opposed to having to rush Tear of the Goddess when you don't even need it yet.

Sounds about right. +1
Quoted:
Also if you fail your lane super hard, you should probably rush Liandry's Torment into Athene's Unholy Grail. A behind Swain is useless building ideally, so you skip the items Swain would ideally build and just skip straight to the items which will keep your damage high enough to still be relevant. Liandry's is pretty strong on him because of his DoT's, and Athene's should keep you from going OOM within 5 seconds of a fight.

Is the damage from Liandry's Torment applied anew every tick?
Quoted:
Also you go hybrid pen marks because his E amplifies his auto-attack damage too, so you can abuse that with some armor penetration.

I know. I'm just not sure it's significant enough. The bonus penetration is only 40% over MrP/ArP marks after all.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide