Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Vynertje's Support AMA and advice thread

Creator: Vynertje December 30, 2014 5:15am
AlenkoN89
<Member>
AlenkoN89's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 5, 2015 5:57am | Report
Hello Vinertje
I've read almost all the posts here and i would like to ask you a couple of questions:
I play as support on EUW, AMD i'm actually silver. My favorite Champions are karma and braum.
I find the choose of the right support very hard. While i play in solo q i don't know if i should take a counterpick or simply a champion that i can use decently.
And i have the same problem when i play in a ranked team with my friends: My ADC has always a cs lower than the enemy, so i don't know if i should use an AP support (in order to do some damage and help my ADC) or a tanky one, to help the whole team during tf.
Do you have any suggestion to give ? Thank you and sorry for my bad english
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 5, 2015 6:47am | Report
AlenkoN89 wrote:
Hello Vinertje
I've read almost all the posts here and i would like to ask you a couple of questions:
I play as support on EUW, AMD i'm actually silver. My favorite Champions are karma and braum.
I find the choose of the right support very hard. While i play in solo q i don't know if i should take a counterpick or simply a champion that i can use decently.
And i have the same problem when i play in a ranked team with my friends: My ADC has always a cs lower than the enemy, so i don't know if i should use an AP support (in order to do some damage and help my ADC) or a tanky one, to help the whole team during tf.
Do you have any suggestion to give ? Thank you and sorry for my bad english

Play what you can play well, that should always be your first priority. After that you can start thinking about counterpicks.

Regarding picks in ranked team, just try to adapt what your team needs. Pick a peeling support if you have a hypercarry while playing against assassins, pick engage if you're playing against a squishy backline. Again though, first priority is to see what you can play or not. You'll always perform better on champions you can play.
MrMad2000
<Member>
MrMad2000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2015 12:57pm | Report
This thread seems pretty dead. Shall I break the curse?

Anywho. What are the advantages and disadvantages of building a talisman of ascension apposed to Frost Queen's Claim on an aggressive support such as Karma or Nami?

Also. Do you think that Orianna & Kayle support have potential and are off-meta support picks? Or they don't work since they need levels to scale to be relevant in the mid/late game?

^-^
I am currently known as Sejwoonapiggle on EUW.
Add me for any queries or questions you have for me!
Check out my stream! I could use the support.
Click here to view my stream!
Blian
<Member>
Blian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2015 1:17pm | Report
if you are like me who doesn't really trust in low elo players but still want to win the game as a support I highly recommend Vel'Koz.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2015 1:52pm | Report
MrMad2000 wrote:
This thread seems pretty dead. Shall I break the curse?

Anywho. What are the advantages and disadvantages of building a talisman of ascension apposed to Frost Queen's Claim on an aggressive support such as Karma or Nami?

I don't really think you should ever do so, but the only reason I can imagine is when you need A LOT of engage potential to force fights you want. On karma it's trash for sure, it makes some sense for a defensive nami build.

Quoted:
Also. Do you think that Orianna & Kayle support have potential and are off-meta support picks? Or they don't work since they need levels to scale to be relevant in the mid/late game?

^-^

They are too level/item reliant to be really effective, although they can certainly work if you play them well. You just have to abuse the factor of the unknown (they won't know what your weaknesses are because they never see you play)
MrMad2000
<Member>
MrMad2000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2015 2:43pm | Report
Quoted:
I don't really think you should ever do so, but the only reason I can imagine is when you need A LOT of engage potential to force fights you want. On karma it's trash for sure, it makes some sense for a defensive nami build.

Thanks for the input. I usually buy Spellthief's Edge and then later swap it out for a Nomad's Medallion if I'm ahead and with an immobile ADC since that R+E/Talisman speedboost is insane. But I can see your reasoning onto why it isn't really that strong since they both benefit way more from Frost Queen's Claim.

Quoted:
What ADC/Support champion do you think have the most synergy together out of all botlane duo's?
I am currently known as Sejwoonapiggle on EUW.
Add me for any queries or questions you have for me!
Check out my stream! I could use the support.
Click here to view my stream!
UnstoppableBacon
<Member>
UnstoppableBacon's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2015 2:45pm | Report
In provisionals I was able to Janna and win. Since I got placed in Silver 5, that just doesn't happen. I to this day I have won 1 game since then. My ADC's tend to dive and over extend.

I'm thinking that I may need to go to a more damage based support. I've played Nid Support in Normals but people always complain when I do it. I get why people don't like her but she is a valid option.

So who should I work with for lower Elo ranked matches? Blitz/Morgana get banned so I don't use them. I'm good with Morgana, but she's never open to use.
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2015 2:53pm | Report
^ try annie

Also Vynnie, thoughts on lulu support atm? She worked pretty well last 2 times I played her, although both times I really needed some single target point - and - click cc. Her slow is pretty legit and doubles as a poke/disengage, her w is super strong vs some **** like Yi, trynd, yasuo, lee maybe even jarvan and the dual nature of her ult is also quite strong as you can peel for your adc like a mofo and can really power up an engage. Also, shielding your engager (say panth or like even vi) and then using your Q to slow the person they're chasing makes for some pretty sweet catches (and in vi's case, it also saves an ult for another skirmish).

The massive AoE cc of nami and the ridiculous disengage of Janna do outshine lulu, as she's sort of a jack of all trades, and sure thresh might have more utility than her but she just feels very potent right now and I'm kind of shocked nobody plays her as supp :X
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2015 2:59pm | Report
Soooo....
are you a talisman of ascension thresh kinda guy, or a face of the mountain thresh?
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2015 3:10pm | Report
@MrMad

There isn't one specific duo that is the best right now. It all depends on team compositions.

@UnstoppableBacon

Any support who has playmaking abilities can work - damage is irrelevant as long as you have a way to make stuff happen. Generally you cannot go wrong with any support pick as long as you just play it well so just pick whoever you like most.

Must be added that janna is the most passive support out there but you can still make stuff happen on her if you play her well.

@Xeres:

Lulu is quite good, but by no means a top tier pick. She has stupid lane damage (about on par with Sona) and quite a lot of utility but she's super mana hungry and also quite squishy which makes her a bit iffy to play. (btw she's my most played champ of this season)

@Soooo....
are you a talisman of ascension thresh kinda guy, or a face of the mountain thresh?

Relic -> face of the mountain. You really want the extra defense in lane and the minor heals for your ADC as you dont offer any.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide