Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Vynertje's Support AMA and advice thread

Creator: Vynertje December 30, 2014 5:15am
Chawoora
<Member>
Chawoora's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 2, 2015 6:32pm | Report
About Thresh...hmmmm...just a Bronze player but I thought I was decent with him.

Take a point in E First?
I will usually take Q if a invade or fight breaks out, but otherwise Q and W seem rather useless at level 1. The passive alone on E seems to be worth the point.

Max E First, Then Q, then W?
So you say to max Q first? Levels in E increase the passive damage, plus the slow and damage of the active (but not the cooldown and increase the mana costs). I max Q second mostly for the cooldown reduction (extra damage is a bonus). The shield increase on W is nice, but not something I prioritize.

Start with Ancient Coin and build into Talisman of Ascension?
The negatives that I see with this is that Talisman is not really a tanky item (decent health regen...and the active is great). The problems I see with Relic Shield are 1) coordinating last hitting with the adc is tough 2) Thresh's slow attack animation without the execute make last hitting tough and 3) using my stacked Flay passive to last hit means I am not using it to bop the enemy on the head.

And on a related subject...Got any tips on using the Face of the Mountain active?
Of the 3 support items, this is the one where I often get to the end of the game and realize that I never used the active. Do you cast it on yourself? Do you cast it on your ADC for the shield? Do you cast it on your engager for the shield and damage? Is it best cast on an AD or AP champ? Clearly throwing it on somebody is better than just sitting there.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 12:55am | Report
Quoted:
When do you really need 5 hooks in a teamfight? :P Besides, teamfights happen later, and if that's why you max Q, you might as well max it second, no? I feel like maxing Q in lane will indeed lead to you having more hooks - more fights - but then how can you fight with your weak auto-attack...

Its also super good in midgame, usually the first major fights already happen in midgame around your level 6-9. You usually have sufficient damage anyway, the damage differential isn't that massive.
Blian
<Member>
Blian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 12:59am | Report
Any reason why people tend to build Face of the Mountain on Annie and even go for Warmog's Armor after Sightstone recently?
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 1:47am | Report
Blian wrote:
Any reason why people tend to build Face of the Mountain on Annie and even go for Warmog's Armor after Sightstone recently?

Dunno about warmogs, but face of the mountain allows you to stack your Q on minions.
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 7:09am | Report
Vynertje wrote:

Its also super good in midgame, usually the first major fights already happen in midgame around your level 6-9. You usually have sufficient damage anyway, the damage differential isn't that massive.
Fair enough but my original question was "is E max sub optimal now", or is it still an option? Don't really want to switch to Q max unless I absolutely have to.

@Chawoora

thank you jhoijhoi for the signature <3
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 8:25am | Report
Quoted:
Fair enough but my original question was "is E max sub optimal now", or is it still an option? Don't really want to switch to Q max unless I absolutely have to.

Well I think E max is a bit poor right now, but if you really don't want to max Q first you can put 3 points into E and then max Q afterwards. Skill sequence would look like this:

E-Q-W-E-E-R followed by standard R>Q>W>E
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 9:54am | Report
E max isn't terrible but 3 points, then maxing Q usually turns out better. Straight-up Q max really only works if you have a boring lane or you can land a lot of hooks. Or if you lane swap of course. All of those things happen in pro play, so they pretty much always Q max.

I can only play Thresh support...
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 10:19am | Report
Thank you for your input friend Psiguard!:3

by jhoijhoi
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 10:53am | Report
PsiGuard wrote:
E max isn't terrible but 3 points, then maxing Q usually turns out better. Straight-up Q max really only works if you have a boring lane or you can land a lot of hooks. Or if you lane swap of course. All of those things happen in pro play, so they pretty much always Q max.

I can only play Thresh support...

Flat out Q max is also better if you plan on roaming a lot (which you should, but that again only happens in pro play or really high elo solo queue)
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 11:12am | Report
Not quite related to support, but something that has been on my mind recently:
If you get counterpicked to hell in mid(e.g. misery lane like Ziggs vs LeBlanc), do you actually get a LOT of lane safety by having your bot lane do a lane swap?
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide