Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Vynertje's Support AMA and advice thread

Creator: Vynertje December 30, 2014 5:15am
HiFromBuddha
<Member>
HiFromBuddha's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 11, 2015 2:07am | Report
Slappiz wrote:

Spellthief's Edge all the way. If you only sit back in lane as Janna you are doing it wrong mate. Early AA's make a huge difference during the early lane phase if you play effectively. Don't underestimate the dmg you can put out in a lane with some good early offensive with your autos.

You're saying that as if you can't auto-attack if you buy coin.

Everything else still stands. Spellthief's Edge is not an effective gold generation tool for Janna, nor is it optimal for what Janna wants. As a gold generation tool, Spellthief's Edge is lacking, especially when the only way to build Spellthief's is to sell it for another support item. Janna also isn't in huge desire for the stars it offers like other Mage supports, especially when you yourself acknowledge that early game auto-attacks are very impactful, and the most impactful way of harassing for a Janna.
Imma 'bout to end this man's whole career
My rather unimpressive and slowly growing anime list!
Currently watching:
    Kiniro Mosaic
Currently Reading:
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero Maria
    Nisekoi: False Love
Slappiz
<Member>
Slappiz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 11, 2015 2:14am | Report
Ofc you can but every little extra dmg can make a huge difference in close fights and can be the reason you win or lose your lane. The coin is a greedy choice for hesitant players imo.
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 11, 2015 3:22am | Report
The coin is a greedy choice? lel
You say don't underestimate the damage you deal, but to that I say don't overestimate it either. Against some lanes it's an ok pick, but against the likes of lulu, karma or heck, even someone like nami it's basically asking to get poked back 10 times harder. If you use your shield to poke and the enemy doesn't retaliate to break it with a single spell, then they'll most likely harass your adc next and you'll have no way of protecting them.

It's just as viable an option as coin from my experience.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 11, 2015 4:25am | Report
Why coin?

1) Spellthief is only good in the first few levels right now, after first base (or levels) your AA-trades aren't as good any more nor will the flat damage on spellthief be of any use. Also, as XeresAce mentioned, in a lot of matchups you cannot use your AA's as much. "Every little bit counts" is a bit of a weird argument to support a clearly inferior build path, just because it adds like 30 damage total in an all-out fight. You can even argue that the health regen on coin compensates for that.

2) As discussed above, Talisman is a must-buy for supports like Janna (usually as first core item). It's gold generation late game is far superior to any blue support path and the active is really, really good. Yeah, you can get spellthief for early game but it requires you to snowball in order for it to be effective: the gold generation on the likes of Janna is relatively poor and you'll have to sell it once mid game starts.

3) I personally rely on my ADC to start a trade and follow up on that, rather than initiating a trade myself. It's much more effective (that way you get the maximum damage output with least damage taken) as long as your ADC knows how to play the lane. You can call me a hesitant player for doing that, I personally regard it as smart and patient.

In short: coin is a very effective, versatile start and unless you are playing against a very easily-abused lane, coin is far superior to spellthief.
Slappiz
<Member>
Slappiz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 11, 2015 6:29am | Report
I know you all are utility support items nuthuggers (which Isn't bad) while I prefer to go with a high AP build on my Janna (which people think is inferior to the more utility oriented build). Viva la revolucion!

Seriously though, playing a passive Janna is like eating a sandwich without butter. There's no fun in that.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 11, 2015 6:40am | Report
Building coin =/= passive

The only difference is that I follow up on my ADC instead of trying to make trades happen myself. The result is that the aggressiveness of the lane depends on my ADC's confidence, but the playstyle is super effective with an aggressive ADC because you can force short trades and come out on top in every single one of them. If you force them yourself against the likes of Lulu/Sona/Bard you'll just get blasted in the face.

For the record, my build isn't anything like a 'utility nuthog' - it's simply a "I build whatever I need" mindset. That results in builds ranging from Talisman/Mikaels/Locket to Soulstealer/Deathcap. AP just isn't a priority; it's a luxury. The only priority is Talisman as it's so good right now.
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 11, 2015 8:00am | Report
Coin also has more sustain, means you can trade worse and still come out ahead. And Talisman of ascension is the best support item by far, as long as you don't get Turbo Chemtank, but then you will most like play a champion with face of the mountain. I don't really see any use at Frost Queen's Claim, especially since the slow stacking change.
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 11, 2015 8:08am | Report
Ancient Coin is the "worst" support item for the ADC, but probably the best one for the lane if you aren't playing someone who gets in to the front line and does their stuff there.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 11, 2015 8:32am | Report
^ But arguably talisman of ascension isn't, though.
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 11, 2015 8:46am | Report
sirell wrote:
^ But arguably talisman of ascension isn't, though.

I was only talking about the level one versions of them :p Relic Shield heals you ~120 after you trade (if you wait for the third stack to heal, otherwise around 80), while Ancient Coin only heals the support :p

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide